PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Breaking News

Angelo Roncalli
07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Ichiro traded to the Yankees for two pitching prospects...

bullzag23
07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Ichiro traded to the Yankees for two pitching prospects...

It was going to happens sometime. He hasn't been the same player he was for a couple years now and it really didn't make sense to continue paying an aging player $17 million per year on a team that's in rebuilding mode. I hate the Yankees but if they win the series this year at least Ichiro gets his ring.

That said these pitchers better be solid prospects.

Angelo Roncalli
07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
It was going to happens sometime. He hasn't been the same player he was for a couple years now and it really didn't make sense to continue paying an aging player $17 million per year on a team that's in rebuilding mode. I hate the Yankees but if they win the series this year at least Ichiro gets his ring.

That said these pitchers better be solid prospects.

I wouldn't count on it. I'm hearing the Mariners had to throw in case to sweeten the deal.

gu03alum
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
The M's only get $2 million of salary relief.

I am very happy to see that the M's will not be spending $40 million over 3 years to keep Ichiro around. I appreciate all of the good things Ichiro has done in Seattle, but it's time to move on. Successful teams do not hold onto aging players too long. I will miss the good Ichiro and I wish him luck with the Yankees.

I'm guessing when I wear my Ichiro shirt to Yankee Stadium in two weeks I won't get so much crap from the Yankee's fans this year.

Kiddwell
07-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Crummy news. Kiddwell really likes Ichiro, had hoped we'd rebound (maybe next year) so he'd get a chance for the playoffs with the Mariners.

And Yankees? Holy cow, the Yankees...that smells.

:[

sittingon50
07-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm surprised they had the courage to do this.

Look to be 2 kinda' pedestrian pitcher's in return. Hope they're just stockpiling to get what they really need; HITTING!!

Angelo Roncalli
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
KJR reporting that he asked to be traded a couple of weeks ago.

sittingon50
07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Just heard that. Hmmmmmm.

zagitarious
07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Was choking up a bit during that bow......

Then the base hit : (

The stolen base... >: (

gu03alum
07-24-2012, 04:07 AM
Upon further reflection, I'm going to miss Ichiro and everything he did while a Mariner. His slap hits, lazer arm, sliding catches, and crazy stretching routine will be missed. I will also never forget his favorite American expression: "August in Kansas City it is hotter than two rats f***ing in a wool sock.”

YouTube of Ichiro's favorite American expression (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtImIqR5neU)

treehorn
07-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Upon further reflection, I'm going to miss Ichiro and everything he did while a Mariner. His slap hits, lazer arm, sliding catches, and crazy stretching routine will be missed. I will also never forget his favorite American expression: "August in Kansas City it is hotter than two rats f***ing in a wool sock.Ē

YouTube of Ichiro's favorite American expression (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtImIqR5neU)

I'd forgotten that, thanks. Yesterday at the press conference he looked like he'd rather be in that wool sock. Really gonna miss him.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x308/treehorn06/Ichirobow.png

cjm720
07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
I have a feeling he will do well this half of the season. Best of luck Suzuki...thnaks for your Hall of Fame career and your contributions to the city.

webspinnre
07-24-2012, 08:09 AM
I really think this is best for all involved. Gives him a shot at a WS ring (and I might actuall root for the yankees for this purpose :o ) and will hopefully prevent the Ms from doing something stupid like offering him a 3 year deal for 24m. Also, lets us get Wells and Saunders in every day, which is important if we think they might be able to be contributing members long-term.

treehorn
07-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Kitsap Sun (http://pugetsoundblogs.com/stark/2012/07/23/ichiros-a-quote-machine/#ixzz21Ymg2stK)

One of my favorites:

"I donít know if itís a good memory or a bad one. But when I first came over to play in the United States, I had a few teammates from the U.S. who had played on my team in Japan. So I had somewhat of an idea of what American players would be like.

ďBut when I met him, he was kind of a human being that you would never meet in Japan. So, whenever I was around him, I almost felt like I was witnessing a creature, not a human being. It was fun for me to watch him."

About former teammate Bret Boone, 2008

zagitarious
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
I really think this is best for all involved. Gives him a shot at a WS ring (and I might actuall root for the yankees for this purpose :o ) and will hopefully prevent the Ms from doing something stupid like offering him a 3 year deal for 24m. Also, lets us get Wells and Saunders in every day, which is important if we think they might be able to be contributing members long-term.

Yes. Above the shock and awe of losing your franchise player w/virtually no warning, Ichi deserves this...He's gotta be really stoked to be playoff-bound for the first time in ten years. He deserves every good thing that comes his way.

(...not gonna lie, still a little butt-hurt that it has to be them yanks...)