Darin Johnson Favors Four - Gonzaga Leading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harryzag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Darin Johnson Favors Four - Gonzaga Leading?

Per @TheRecruitScoop

Four schools are standing out for 2013 PHPS (CA) SG Darin Johnson, but will Gonzaga end up snagging him? http://t.co/gA51gOIe

Anyone have access to the article?
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Here you go:
    Flying under the radar out west is no longer the case for 2013 shooting guard Darin Johnson as his stock is on the rise. Johnson, who will be attending Sheldon (CA) for his senior season, is having a strong AAU season with PHPS. At 6-foot-5, Johnson has a number of options when it comes to college. With coaches hounding him, the rising senior has a few schools that are standing out.

A very athletic player, he excels at scoring the ball. Johnson handles the rock well, plays good defense and attacks the rim with persistence and force. As he is a jumpshot away from making a real name for himself on the court, Johnson has gotten the job done to the point where he holds a dozen offers currently.

USC, Washington State, Oregon State, Gonzaga, UTEP, St. Mary's, Pepperdine, Boise State, San Jose State, San Francisco, Drake and Pacific have all offered the shooting guard. With some interest from Virginia Tech, Colorado and Utah, Johnson has an idea of who is recruiting him the hardest, as well as who he likes the most.

"Gonzaga, Washington State, USC, Oregon State and UTEP are coming the hardest," he told Rivals.com. "Head coaches Few, Robinson, Bone and O'Neil are making a strong impression on me."

With that being said, he currently favors four schools - USC, Gonzaga, Washington State and Virginia Tech.

"I like those schools the most, but I'm also really impressed with UTEP," he said.

As Gonzaga coach Mark Few is making a strong impression on Darin Johnson, it would be no surprise if the bouncy guard took his talents to the mid-major powerhouse in the fall of 2013.

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Few must see something he likes. He's a bit iffy in my mind. Aim higher?
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
        Kinda with you there so far. How well do guards that can't shoot do in Few's system? Maybe he projects as a 3, but it sounds like there are a plethora of options there for that.

Comment

• cjm720
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
          Lots of posts like this Beezer. I understand the want to propel the program but this is good, almsot great recruit. You don't need to be a top 50 kid to be a game changer...
          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2011

I say its too soon to have made an offer. Many is a slip between cup and lip. And any 16 yr old changes once they get to 18 yrs old and away from mom and pop. Big changes happen between a 16 yr old HS kid and a 19 yr old freshman in college.

But its not like Few and Co. doesn't stick to the strict criteria they recruit with. And there are always some that don't pan out as expected. He MUST be exactly what they want to see in every area of his life. Not just on the court. Work ethic, lifestyle and homegrown talent are important factors in finding people who can handle going to school at GU AND balance an elite basketball regimen.
            “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• DagsZags
              Bulldog Fan
              • Apr 2012

The more I hear about Darin Johnson, the more I like him. The staff got in on him before he blew up, and it's paying off. He has played great during the July period, racking up even more offers and displaying what the coaching staff saw in him from the beginning.

Darin has the size to play the 3, and looks to be a more than adequate backup for Gerard Coleman, especially when it seems like their games are so similar. A high level athlete with good handles and attacks the rim? Learn from Gerard (and Gary/Kevin/Kyle) for a couple years, and you have a kid who looks to be very good in his junior and senior years.

I would love to have Darin on the team. I think the staff knew exactly what they were doing when they started recruiting him

Comment

• 810Suited
                Kennel Club Material
                • Apr 2008

Love this kids game. Think he ends up being a top 75 kid. Hopefully he isn't swayed by some of the bigger offers that come his way

Comment

• bostonzagfan
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Oct 2011

as long as his head is in the right place as far as PT

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Maybe he'll start.
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

He's an elite athlete that's for sure. I think we could always use a few of those.

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Starting to blowup - SSF tweeted offers from Oregon and San Diego State.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• harryzag
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

Dakarai Allen

It will be interesting to see if Few offers Dakarai Allen (Darin's AAU/HS teammate) a scholarship as well, if he hasn't already done so. That would be a very nice pair to snag.

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I don't know if he's blowing up just yet, but he's at least starting to get better offers than San Jose State.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                              I don't know if he's blowing up just yet, but he's at least starting to get better offers than San Jose State.
                              Had offers from USC, Washington State, Oregon State, and Saint Mary's prior to that along with the SJSU offer you noted.

Big picture is that the staff had early interest in three guys who have been absolutely fantastic during the evaluation period. Johnson, Jordan Mathews, and Goodluck Okonoboh have all drawn rave reviews at some point or another over the past few weeks.

Mathews is scheduled to visit in the fall and Johnson has already visited unofficially. Okonoboh is a slight wild card due to his location but the transfer of Gerard Coleman will be extremely helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X