PDA

View Full Version : ESPN rankings, teams outside the Big 6

bullzag23
07-18-2012, 11:23 AM
ESPN INsider article today with preseason rankings for teams outside the power conferences. I think GU is definitely underrated here and they neglect to mention Olynyk as a returning player. At the very least we should be ahead of Creighton/Saint Louis, but here's what they have to say:

5. Gonzaga Bulldogs (West Coast)

The Bulldogs have been to 14 consecutive NCAA tournaments; only Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, Texas and Wisconsin also have active streaks longer than seven. If you're hoping this is finally Gonzaga's off year, prepare to be disappointed. Center Robert Sacre graduates, but the Zags are left with two studs in the frontcourt (Elias Harris and Sam Dower) and two studs in the backcourt (Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr.).

Their biggest issue will be depth. Outside those four, their next returning options are David Stockton (who turned the ball over on 31 percent of his possessions last season), Guy Landry Edi (who shot 26 percent from behind the arc) and Mike Hart (who used just 10 percent of the team's possessions and still wasn't particularly efficient). The best bet to fill out the starting five may be incoming freshman Przemek Karnowski, who impressed scouts last summer in the U19 World Championship.

Here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8176357/ranking-best-2012-13-non-big-six-conference-teams-ncb

ZagNative
07-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

Zaglaw
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Is that statistic on Stockton right? It doesn't sound correct.

75Zag
07-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't like "outside the Big 6" rankings. GU has some good players and I would like to see our team and our best players be compared against any and all competition in the NCAA. Maybe I am over sensitive, but it seems to me that being ranked in a comparison that excludes the Big 6 is a bit like telling GU to sit at the "children's table" at Thanksgiving. Not cool.

On any given night, GU has a shot at beating anybody.

Go Bulldogs!

JPtheBeasta
07-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Ugly turnover stat...

SweetOnionZag
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
ESPN INsider article today with preseason rankings for teams outside the power conferences. I think GU is definitely underrated here and they neglect to mention Olynyk as a returning player. At the very least we should be ahead of Creighton/Saint Louis, but here's what they have to say:

Here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8176357/ranking-best-2012-13-non-big-six-conference-teams-ncb

Might be a little shallow on Zag information, but that's just fine. Let's stay under the radar.............

gozagswoohoo
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM

That's what I was thinking.

If true.....YOWSOS. I'm sure he is working hard this off-season to correct this.

tinfoilzag
07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
According to the article, this is our team next year..

G KP, DS
G GBJ
G/F Edi, Hart
F Harris
C Dower, Karn

From his point of view, I would rank us where he has us.

His 'depth' comment is also interesting because alot of GU's depth (3 players) left the team this off-season largely because of lack of playing time. If depth were a problem, why would they leave?

It's the typical "barely scratch the surface" article that GU gets every summer.

Maybe these writers should post these blurbs on the teams' forum sites first so the locals can tell them what is really going on with the team before they publish the articles.

Baldwinzag
07-18-2012, 01:18 PM

To put it in perspective, David turned the ball over twice as frequentely as Pangos in comparing # of possessions per game.

Also, Stockton averaged 1.5 TO's in 16 minutes of playing time, while our starting PG averaged just 1.8 TO's in 32 minutes of playing time.

A HUGE discrepancy b/w the starter and reserve concerning turnover #'s.

I have an inkling Dranginis will help in this regard -- he's considered a terrific, tight ball handler and passer by all accounts, some even referring to him as the best pure passer on the team.

Stockton will continue to log time at point guard and more than capable, yet Kyle is being groomed to handle such responsibility at PG when called upon. He'll also play off guard and even some 3 vs smaller lineups.

krozman
07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I think the writer of the article doesn't realize the power of KO to the rotation, as I am certain he will be in it during the season and come March. We have more than one guard that plays the majority of the game. We have more than one big man. Our scoring is very well balanced. Honestly as long as coach Few brings this team together mentally we're in for another great year, with the sky being the limit.

ZagNative
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Here's Katz and Gottlieb's video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8160961) on their take on the Non-Big Six. Zags get love from both. Gottlieb's take surprised me a little bit, because I have always felt he was traditionally dismissive of the Zags.

pbriz
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
It's really easy to make players look bad when you pick and choose the stats you want to use. It seems as though this writer just looked at stats across the board and found the worst ones for each player without considering any more variables.

I would put us more in the 2-4 range.

Reborn
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Here's Katz and Gottlieb's video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8160961) on their take on the Non-Big Six. Zags get love from both. Gottlieb's take surprised me a little bit, because I have always felt he was traditionally dismissive of the Zags.

Thanks ZN for bringing in the opinions of two very good analysts. I feel differently about Doug Gottlieb than you do. Gottlieb has been hot and cold on Gonzaga over the years, imo, and mostly his assessments of GU play has been alright with me. But I do see that side of Doug when he sheds lots of praise on Gonzaga, though its been a couple of years. Maybe his praise of GU for next year is a good sign that Gonzaga really is going to have a great year. Gottlieb is a reporter who "tells it like it is" at least as it is to Doug. hahahaha

sittingon50
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Zags won't run away. SMC & BYU will be very tough.

zagzilla
07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
"David Stockton (who turned the ball over on 31 percent of his possessions last season)"

That stat made my jaw drop, if true. Sure seemed like it at times last season, though.

As an upper classman, I bet we see major improvement there.

Go Zags!

ZZ

Baldwinzag
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Zags won't run away. SMC & BYU will be very tough.

I think we all agree with this.

BYU is vastly underrated(I, for one, think they'll be improved from top to bottom in 2012-2013) and SMC could very well be a more dynamic/scoring team next season, yet will take a hit in rebounding; however, the Gaels have some very good transfers becoming eligible, solid recruits coming in, and significant talent coming off redshirt injuries...

TheGonzagaFactor
07-18-2012, 05:34 PM

WOW! Talk about hype...

I laughed at the part where Katz said we wouldn't lose a random game in conference and Gottlieb was like "bold prediction".

Gottlieb was excited because he was assuming Sam would start, which doesn't seem like any kind of certainty in these parts.

Baldwinzag
07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Gottlieb was excited because he was assuming Sam would start, which doesn't seem like any kind of certainty in these parts.

Exactly. Pre-season competition b/w Dower, Olynyk, & Karnowski will be fierce. Its not going to be handed to Sam, especially if his lackluster post defense doesn't improve dramatically. This is 100% due to his offensive mindset as he's shown the natural ability to defend and rebound, yet not the commitment nor consistency. Easily one of the better offensively skilled 6'9" players in college bb.

Funny thing is, not a single mention of PK or KO in the majority of articles or analysts...

Reborn
07-18-2012, 07:08 PM
WOW! Talk about hype...

Sam Dower has been the forgotten Zag by this board this summer. The "hype" on the board has all been about Olynyk and Karnowsky. I think Gottlieb has a valid point here about Sam. Doug is not the only reporter and analyst who thinks Sam Dower could be a great center at Gonzag U. I also am one who believes that Gottlieb could be right about Sam. It's funny how funny this board gets in the summer (or blind, is it sun blindness). Sam Dower has been a GREAT player off the bench for two years and most likely, unitl someone takes it from him, he's our starter next season.

awberke
07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I disagree that we will "run away with the league."

Reborn
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I disagree that we will "run away with the league."

I agree with Gottlieb...The Zags' will "run away with this league." The Zags are going to be great next year. Yes! St Mary's and BYU will also be good. But they're going to be running a ways behind GU next year.

MDABE80
07-18-2012, 09:19 PM
SMC has 4 starters back. Plus some very good kids joining them. Della as POY won't be easily overcome nor will his mates out front.. It'll be us and them. BYU gets a very superior kid back from mission. I suspect they won't be easy there at home.

If I had to pick some one team who will be giving us fits, it'll be SMC. I hope PK is ready to go. Someone will have to control Waldo and their new kids in the low block.
I hope we have that in mind. I know Few does.

Kiddwell
07-18-2012, 09:32 PM
This fan thinks BYU will be trouble. Maybe as follows: GU = BYU; GU > SMC

This, based on posts elsewhere about the talent BYU brings back and brings online from missions, transfers, etc.

:]

zagzilla
07-18-2012, 09:36 PM
WCC will be the best it has ever been next year and a buzz saw to get through. All those wishing that someday the conference would become more competitive got that wish for sure.

Now we need everybody to schedule some aggressive OOC games and hang some scalps on our collective walls so the committee realizes how tough the WCC has become too.

I still think we regain the WCC crown but we will lose some games.

ZZ

hooter73
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
pfft... at this point we are known for dropping a random game in conference.

sanders
07-18-2012, 11:11 PM
This is what caught my eye:

the Zags are left with two studs in the frontcourt (Elias Harris and Sam Dower) and two studs in the backcourt (Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr.).

The best bet to fill out the starting five may be incoming freshman Przemek Karnowski, who impressed scouts last summer in the U19 World Championship.

So he expects each of EH, SD, and PK to start?

bullzag23
07-19-2012, 07:33 AM
This is what caught my eye:

the Zags are left with two studs in the frontcourt (Elias Harris and Sam Dower) and two studs in the backcourt (Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr.).

The best bet to fill out the starting five may be incoming freshman Przemek Karnowski, who impressed scouts last summer in the U19 World Championship.

So he expects each of EH, SD, and PK to start?

I would guess he expects E, like many others on this board, to play the 3 spot.

Butler Guy
07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Everybody saw Dick Vitale's de facto confirmation of the long-standing rumor that Gonzaga at Butler will be the GameDay game that weekend?

@DickieV (https://twitter.com/DickieV) @DavidWoods007 (https://twitter.com/DavidWoods007) @douggottlieb (https://twitter.com/douggottlieb) Ppl at Butler r going to be excited when Gonzaga comes to Hinkle - a few other guests will also be there - WOW

DADoZAG
07-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Everybody saw Dick Vitale's de facto confirmation of the long-standing rumor that Gonzaga at Butler will be the GameDay game that weekend?

@DickieV (https://twitter.com/DickieV) @DavidWoods007 (https://twitter.com/DavidWoods007) @douggottlieb (https://twitter.com/douggottlieb) Ppl at Butler r going to be excited when Gonzaga comes to Hinkle - a few other guests will also be there - WOW

Good to see you, Butler Guy!

Also nice to see confirmation of info in this thread:
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=39903&highlight=gameday

Please overlook the dribble drabble posts and focus on the respectful comments on your program. Would love to read your normally incisive comments on Butler for this year!

Go ZAGS!

hondo
07-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Our blood is in the water and the sharks are circling.

ZagNative
07-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Good to see you, Butler Guy!

Also nice to see confirmation of info in this thread:
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=39903&highlight=gameday

Please overlook the dribble drabble posts and focus on the respectful comments on your program. Would love to read your normally incisive comments on Butler for this year!

Go ZAGS!Butler Guy does class up the joint, doesn't he?

DADoZAG
07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Butler Guy does class up the joint, doesn't he?

Sundime, done tay muth. :D

Go ZAGS!

Butler Guy
07-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah, yeah.

I'm like Punxsutawney Phil. I show up once a year and say my piece, than go back to sleep (unless Bill Murray drives me off a cliff)

http://ragbrai.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/groundhog_day_.jpg

Baseline
07-26-2012, 11:46 PM
I think the surprise next year will be the red shirt Freshman from Idaho. Drano will play the 1,2 &3 and end up with major minutes. His passing and ball handling will keep him on the floor. He will have a big impact.

zagsmyboys
07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
They forgot Olynyk. He is the one I am most excited to see play again!!!! He is a BEAST!!