PDA

View Full Version : What are the keys?

tyra
07-14-2012, 04:56 PM
What are the keys to this team going deep in the Dance (aside from remaining injury free)?

Hoopaholic
07-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Win the wcc tournament then score more than the other team in 4 straight games

bartruff1
07-14-2012, 06:19 PM
LUCK.....Defense...seeding.....match up

Reborn
07-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Not losing more than 4 games next year.
Winning the conference
Winning the conference tournament
Getting a 4 Seed or better

To do these things we will need excellent play out of Pangos.
Gary Bell needs to score more next year. I would say 15 ppg.
Elias has to be a stud next year and lead this team. I say he needs to average 15 points per game or better.
Edi Needs to make a committment to become a defesive stopper, and Dranginis needs to hit the 3 with consistency.
Dower needs a breakout year that everyone is hoping for.

Big questions to me are: How good will Kelly Olynyk be? How much has he improved? Will we be improved at the 3 Spot? Will the young man from Providence be as good as we are hopping? Will Karnowski be better than Spanger would have been this year?

Nice threat and great question. Its also a good time to be thinking about this question. I hope a few serious fans who post here show up.

cggonzaga
07-15-2012, 12:52 AM
LUCK.....Defense...seeding.....match up

I'm tired of hearing that it takes luck in the tournament. Everything else is correct. Just play well in the tournament, period! Lucky teams don't do well. Teams that are well prepared and playing well that time of year are who succeed.

GrizZAG
07-15-2012, 04:41 AM
What are the keys to this team going deep in the Dance (aside from remaining injury free)?

Elias: Better handles, control turnovers, rebounding, fire in belly full time and defend, score at will

Guards: Shoot the lights out, excellent passing, drive the lane, play smart

Bigs: Rebounds, Rebounds... kick out when trapped, defend like a warrior, putbacks, get it in the hole no hesitation, keep hands high

Sam: More agressive and improve right to left moves, putbacks

Overall: Get in super shape because this game is about speed and quickness all game long. Open up some space for our deadeye guards to do their work.
The potential is sky high this year, go get it!

bartruff1
07-15-2012, 05:10 AM
I'm tired of hearing that it takes luck in the tournament. Everything else is correct. Just play well in the tournament, period! Lucky teams don't do well. Teams that are well prepared and playing well that time of year are who succeed. Luck comes in many forms both good and bad, from injuries to bad calls from one in a million buzzer beaters to food poisoning...

IMHO, luck plays a important role in every close game.

When Webber called timeout...well...that could be called good luck for Carolina.....Was Casey on the guy's back ??? It all depends on what your definitionn of "is" is .

75Zag
07-15-2012, 06:13 AM
I think there are two ways to go deep in March/April. The first way is to assemble a team like KY did this year full of NBA bound super elite players. That strategy does not always work, but it certainly did this year. The other way is to assemble a group of hard working players who are good but perhaps not elite players, and to have good coaching and a certain amount of luck, like 'Nova did in 85 or Butler did in 2011 or GU did in '99. Was it skill or luck that caused that newspaper in MN to run the story on academic fraud at Minnesota just before MN was scheduled to play GU in the '99 NCAAs? Would GU have beaten MN if Antoine Broxie, Kevin Clark, Jason Stanford, and Miles Tarver had not been suspended for alleged academic fraud? While I agree with posters who say the role of "luck" may be over-rated, I think luck played a significant role in GU making it to the elite 8 in '99 and also in UCLA's bizarre and disgusting comeback against GU in 2006.

Go Bulldogs!

jpwils
07-15-2012, 06:58 AM
1. Limit turnovers - keep under 12 per game.

2. Either Kelly or PK must emerge as a threat in low post and make have an ability to draw fouls on opposing team and make 70% of shots from line.

3. Big men learn to stay out of foul trouble.

4. Shoot the ball better on the road or pass off to hot hand on road. ( Pangos and Bell )

5. Dower plays consistently well.

6. GLE becomes more of a leader

7. Dranginis becomes able fill-in @ 2 or 3.

Vanzagger
07-15-2012, 08:49 AM
If coach Few starts the season off making excuses......like he always does

we lost so and so
we should not be ranked this high
our schedule is too tough

then we will be lucky to win a game in the round of 64 again. Draw a line in the sand. Embrace expectations. Dont be a coward. We have the talent. We always have.

CamarilloZag
07-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Don't forget the perennial 3-pt. D requirement (although last season showed some improvement).

MickMick
07-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Luck, matchups, and peaking at the right time.

I'll go with those.

That is how George Mason and VCU reached the final four. As a collective group, neither had top 75 talent. On the other hand, Butler reached the final two years in a row. That team was just flat good. Especially on the defensive end.

cjm720
07-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Lots of things but if I had to choose one: Kevin Pangos. We have such a talented roster that if Pangos could continue to develop, especially his assist ability, we will go far.

ZagsGoZags
07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
The 99 team came to believe, and then know they could go far

I don't know how much of this type of belief and team chemistry can come from the Coach, but at least some of it can

some teams can play over their heads for a short time, because of this factor - the SF Giants did it a few years ago

if this could happen to us again in the Dance, like it did in 99, we could go deep

We played the first ten minutes against Ohio State with that belief in the Dance last year.