• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Reggie Jackson

But people are catching on in a hurry about the 6-3 Reggie Jackson (Colorado Springs Palmer).

Head coaches Al Skinner (Boston College; he was accompanied by two assistants), Kerry Keating (Santa Clara) and Mark Fox (Nevada) were among those watching him play against the Inland Empire Basketball Program team.

And Gonzaga coach Mark Few caught him in action later Monday afternoon.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • NJZag
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Keating seems to have been the first WCC coach who was in pursuit of Jackson, at least from published reports early in July.

Interesting that "Benedict Arnold College" sent a full coaching contingent. Guess we'll be seeing Al & Co. this coming season ...

Garden party

Two longtime New England rivals and a pair of intersectional powers will meet in the second Basketball Hall of Fame Challenge Dec. 1 at TD Banknorth Garden.

Boston College and Providence will play in the nightcap at 6, after Connecticut and Gonzaga play in the opener at 3:30. The event, a fund-raiser for the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, was held last season in Phoenix, with Gonzaga beating Texas and Arizona topping Illinois.

The Eagles and Friars, Big East rivals until BC left for the Atlantic Coast Conference two years ago, have played 101 times, with Providence leading the series, 56-45.

"We have had some tremendous games in the past against Boston College and we look forward to playing BC in the TD Banknorth Garden," said Providence coach Tim Welsh.

BC coach Al Skinner said two New England rivals playing in a benefit for the Hall of Fame is fitting.

"Anytime you have an opportunity to contribute to the Basketball Hall of Fame is great, but to participate in the Hall of Fame Challenge with a New England rivalry makes it that much better," Skinner said.

UConn and Gonzaga have met only once, in the 1999 NCAA Tournament West Regional final, a game won by the Huskies, 67-62, en route to winning the national championship.

Tickets for the doubleheader go on sale Sept. 4 at all Ticketmaster locations as well as Ticketmaster.com. The schools also will make tickets available to students and alumni

I think that Providence might be the only school of the "old Big East" that still plays BC after the rift. And they're grateful to BC for giving them the "win" in last season's OOC encounter.

BC's recruiting has had to go more "national" since its membership in the ACC -- and as the Northern-most outpost of that conference -- has disrupted the geographical sales pitch about being able to play a lot of games in front of family & friends. E.g., no more predictable games at UConn, Syracuse, St. John's etc.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

UConn and Gonzaga have met only once, in the 1999 NCAA Tournament West Regional final, a game won by the Huskies, 67-62, en route to winning the national championship.
      Twice. Both squared off in the 2005 Maui Invitational title game too.

Regarding Al Skinner and BC...Craig Smith? Jared Dudley? Both minimally recruited coming out of high school. The same can be said for many of their other players.

If you ask me, Skinner is one of the most underrated coaches in the nation. He is one of the best diamond in the rough recruiters that's out there. The guy simply finds players.....guys who especially fit well into the flex offense that BC runs.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Am I the only guy

who thought this post was about the straw that stirred the drink in the Bronx Zoo?

Comment

• thickman1
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
          who thought this post was about the straw that stirred the drink in the Bronx Zoo?
          no, you are not.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
            • Feb 2007

Really? Are they sure about that? What about in Maui? I could have sworn we played them in Maui.

Journalism has really gotten bad.
            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• zagster318
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Feb 2007

I never understood why BC has such a hard time recruiting top talent. They play in the ACC, it's a top academic school, gorgeous campus, and in one of the best cities in America.
              "Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change color and fall from the trees."- David Letterman

Comment

• NJZag
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                Twice. Both squared off in the 2005 Maui Invitational title game too.

Regarding Al Skinner and BC...Craig Smith? Jared Dudley? Both minimally recruited coming out of high school. The same can be said for many of their other players.

If you ask me, Skinner is one of the most underrated coaches in the nation. He is one of the best diamond in the rough recruiters that's out there. The guy simply finds players.....guys who especially fit well into the flex offense that BC runs.
                Can't trust a Beantown reporter to get the facts straight about the "series" of games, CDC.

As for Skinner, he's a good coach; and I'm not sure how happy he was about BC's decision to pursue conference realignment. It was mostly motivated by football since the Big East was a wasteland for that sport when the Eagles flew, and the ACC was going to be a step up if its lone "big football name" (FSU) could have the likes of BC and Miami added and reach a critical mass in conference size for football.

Craig Smith might have been under-the-radar, but Jared Dudley played for Pump-n-Run and was noticed coming out of high school. As far as Dudley's ranking, keep in mind that the class of '03 was a loaded class with Lebron and Luol Deng and Charlie Villaneuva etc. -- a lot of early entry NBA players from that class.

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Me too; "The Bronx Is Burning", tonight on ESPN2.
                  But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• dim4sum
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2007

Bronx OK now

Since the subject of the Bronx came up--let me segue into the fact that the Bronx, my hood until age 15, is now reaching for respectability. The rat-infested old tenements are slowly being replaced by rows of attached townhomes, reasonably priced by NYC standards, where the largely Hispanic property owners, now have a stake in their community. The Bronx, by the way, has more park space than virtually any other urban entity in the country--29 percent, home to the NY Botanical Garden, Bronz Zoo, Van Cordlant Park, Pelham Bay Park, Orchid Beach and others.
                    Also, a high level of prep basketball, worthy of Mark Few's radar screen.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dim4sum View Post
                      Since the subject of the Bronx came up--let me segue into the fact that the Bronx, my hood until age 15, is now reaching for respectability. The rat-infested old tenements are slowly being replaced by rows of attached townhomes, reasonably priced by NYC standards, where the largely Hispanic property owners, now have a stake in their community. The Bronx, by the way, has more park space than virtually any other urban entity in the country--29 percent, home to the NY Botanical Garden, Bronz Zoo, Van Cordlant Park, Pelham Bay Park, Orchid Beach and others.
                      Also, a high level of prep basketball, worthy of Mark Few's radar screen.

Now if they can just get those "rats" that live right off the Deegan out of there it would be a respectable borough. Sorry DimSum, I root for that team located in another borough.
                      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• kitzbuel
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                        No, that's why it took me two days to finally bother reading this thread!
                        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• lothar98zag
                          PostPadder General
                          • Feb 2007

Personally, the thread title made me think of The Naked Gun.
                          youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

Working...
                          X