PDA

View Full Version : Elias summary at Lebron camp

AzZag
07-12-2012, 12:46 PM
http://nbadraft.net/2012-lebron-james-skills-academy-top-college-prospects

hooter73
07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
lots of criticisms on everyone there, guess the players have a different look when they arent the only one like them on the court. I still think these camps are invaluable to players looking to improve.

CDC84
07-12-2012, 01:09 PM
His main problem is that he lacks a great deal of upside due to his age

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still have never heard a single legitimate explanation as to why age should factor into the decision making process when drafting a player. That is, unless you're a team like the Lakers. If the NBA didn't have free agency, I would understand age being a factor. But when drafting players, most teams are only going to have that player for a limited amount of years if he is any good. And if he's not good, they and everybody else won't want him anyway. Most teams need to be drafting players based on what they can get out of them right away. In some cases, that might mean drafting a 20 year old if he's talented enough.

If I were the Nets, there are several reasons why I wouldn't spend a high draft pick on Elias Harris, and none of them would have to do with his age.

75Zag
07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Harris is a great player for GU and I intend to enjoy his talents as a GU player this season. Whether or not he has what it takes to move from GU to a first round NBA draft spot might be an interesting discussion question for next April, but for now I am really happy he is at GU and hope he has the best season of his career.

Go Bulldogs!

zagzilla
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I am excited that EH is getting to compete with these guys over the summer. It will make him a better Zag in his final year of a great career. In fact, I think this is better than competing in the Olympics because it is against elite players who play NCAAA-style basketball vs. international ball which is softer.

I couldn't care less about NBA potential. Hope it happens for the sake of him and his family but as a fan, it all about what helps GU most.

Harris is poised to go down as one of the all-time Zags with his name all over the programs record books.

Go Zags!!

ZZ

maineblackbear
07-12-2012, 01:32 PM
hey ZZ, long time no see....

thought one thing interesting was out of 45 players, there were two from Arizona, one from Gonzaga and one from UNLV. 4 players out of 45 west of KU and N. Texas. Do western players have a different camp? How did Elias end up here? Why so eastern-centric?
I am with ZZ here, EH coming back is huge for us. Now, for someone to step up and play the three . . .

ZagFanInNC
07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Harris is a great player for GU and I intend to enjoy his talents as a GU player this season. Whether or not he has what it takes to move from GU to a first round NBA draft spot might be an interesting discussion question for next April, but for now I am really happy he is at GU and hope he has the best season of his career.

Go Bulldogs!

I like this assessment, I really think EH is going to have a MONSTER season. If he rebounds like he did toward the end of last year he is going to be a double double machine. Can't wait to take in the awesomeness of the team this year.

webspinnre
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
The age thing is directly related to the theory that the younger you are, the more room you have for development. Thus, if you had a 24 year old and a 20 year old who were currently equal, theoretically the 20 year old would have a higher ceiling, so you'd take him. There is some measure of truth to this, but its much more complicated than that, and a good scout should be able to evaluate ceiling without completely relying on the age stereotypes. That being said, while EH is fantastic, I don't know that his ceiling is all that high.

75Zag
07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Am I correct that the first 3 picks in the NBA 2012 draft were freshman - perhaps for the first time ever? If I am correct, I can't blame sports guys for equating youth to value in the NBA.

If I was Harris' agent I would have told him to go to the NBA draft as a freshman or play in Europe. But now that he is married to GU for 4 years, I hope he does extremely well and makes us all proud.

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
The age thing is directly related to the theory that the younger you are, the more room you have for development. Thus, if you had a 24 year old and a 20 year old who were currently equal, theoretically the 20 year old would have a higher ceiling, so you'd take him. There is some measure of truth to this, but its much more complicated than that, and a good scout should be able to evaluate ceiling without completely relying on the age stereotypes. That being said, while EH is fantastic, I don't know that his ceiling is all that high.

I understand the theory, but again, what's the point of taking the 20 year old in the late second round over the more immediate impact 24 year old if you're a bad team and you will never see the 20 year old reach his potential? The "age philosophy" is based on the erroneous assumption that all draft picks stick with their teams forever and that all NBA teams are equally able to resign their project players. The agent of that 20 year old is never going to have his client sign an 8 year deal with a perennial loser. Not if he thinks he could develop into a prime free agent in 3 years and go win championships with the Lakers. The bad NBA team, if they have any clue, needs to understand where their organization stands in the current pecking order. They need to win more games and put fans in the seats to make the organization a place where players want to play. Then they can take more chances.

Again, I am not talking about the stud players like Anthony Davis or even a risky but very gifted player like Perry Jones. I'm talking about kids who will be drafted in the area where Elias Harris might be taken. I don't see why age matters at that point unless you're a team like the Lakers that wins and can resign anyone who develops into a stud.

cjm720
07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I wonder if a lot of GMs think of picks, especially a best available mentality, more as potential assets in trades rather than impact on the floor early on.

Zag365
07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Saying that E has great attitude, good motor, improved mid-range jump shot, and is a possible second rounder isn't a bad review -- he's one of the best collegiate players in the country. And will finish as a senior on what looks to be a very, very strong 2012-12 Zag team. 'nuff said.

webspinnre
07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I wonder if a lot of GMs think of picks, especially a best available mentality, more as potential assets in trades rather than impact on the floor early on.

This too. For goodness sakes, Marshon Brooks was just an important trade piece in discussions.

bballbeachbum
07-13-2012, 08:44 AM
I like this assessment, I really think EH is going to have a MONSTER season. If he rebounds like he did toward the end of last year he is going to be a double double machine. Can't wait to take in the awesomeness of the team this year.

I like the assessment too and am really looking forward to his season this year

zzzjag
07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Last time I checked, Harris appeared to be one of the best all time NCAA tourney players the Zags have had. He raised his reg season averages and seems to play even better on the big stage.

I am guessing he will go down as the all time NCAA tournament leader in several categories.

gamagin
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but I still have never heard a single legitimate explanation as to why age should factor into the decision making process when drafting a player. That is, unless you're a team like the Lakers. If the NBA didn't have free agency, I would understand age being a factor. But when drafting players, most teams are only going to have that player for a limited amount of years if he is any good. And if he's not good, they and everybody else won't want him anyway. Most teams need to be drafting players based on what they can get out of them right away. In some cases, that might mean drafting a 20 year old if he's talented enough.

If I were the Nets, there are several reasons why I wouldn't spend a high draft pick on Elias Harris, and none of them would have to do with his age.

I think it's all code. It's much easier to find a side issue and stick to it than it is to say so and so isn't good enough in one way or the other. It's NBA speak akin to the vote for Miss Congeniality at the end of a beauty pageant.

What it means is there is little or no interest on the part of whoever is asked to analyze a particular player & his chances in the bigs without crushing the questioner or the subject.