PDA

View Full Version : You judge BYU's out of conference schedule

SweetOnionZag
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=21209142&nid=498&title=byu-basketball-releases-non-conference-schedule

sittingon50
07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Woof!

Zag 77
07-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Looks like they like the Big Sky Conference, although I think Weber State is a traditional in-state rivalry.

ZagNative
07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Wow. I wonder what their fans think of that schedule ...

77Zag
07-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Can't really afford to blow more than two of the bigger games, i.e Baylor, Va Tech, Notre Dame, FSU or St. Joes... or the tournament may be their only ticket to the dance --

They will struggle with St. Mary's and the Zags for sure..

titopoet
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Seem like not to bad of a mid major schedule. Though lite on big home games. V tech seems like the best home game. Two games with between these three: Florida State, Notre Dame, Saint Joseph's, a trips to Baylor and Iowa St. BYU has chances to get some good wins. If they pull off the neutral or road games, they have a chance for and at large bid.

A B to B- type of schedule.

Baldwinzag
07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
well, fwiw, their fan base is pretty confident they're going to win the WCC this season and view themselves as a much improved team overall. They are confident, as they should be.

most of the coug fans i've spoken with in recent months view Tyler Haws, who is returning from a mission, as their '2nd coming' of Jimmer(i'm not kidding) and have mentioned him as potential WCC POY.

they like their freshman class of last yr returning from injury, a recent transfer becoming eligible, and carlino maturing as a PG...all is good in BYU land.

SweetOnionZag
07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Wow. I wonder what their fans think of that schedule ...

This gives you some insight into what one fan thinks.............

http://byucougars.com/blog/m-basketball/entry/schedule-tidbits

DCZag
07-11-2012, 02:55 PM
^^Oh to look at life thru rose colored glasses.....mediocre is what that sched is. You'd like to see them do better than that.

bartruff1
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I see BYU won the WCC 2012 Institutional Sportsmanship Award for among other sports ....... Men's Basketball ???

scottloos
07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Who did their schedule - Romar?:vomit-smiley-007:

Mantua
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
...if that were our schedule.

Pargo the Destroyer
07-11-2012, 05:32 PM
This gives you some insight into what one fan thinks.............

http://byucougars.com/blog/m-basketball/entry/schedule-tidbits

I can sprinkle flowers and spray febreeze on poop too. Still doesn't change the fact that it's poop.

NorCalCoug
07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=21209142&nid=498&title=byu-basketball-releases-non-conference-schedule

I'm not too impressed with that schedule to be honest. There are very few home games that will interest me as a fan. However, to be fair, I will point out that it has ALWAYS been very difficult for BYU to get bigger programs to play in the MC. Traditionally, they always want to play in the ESA. There are a few chances to notch a few good wins but overall it's pretty uninspiring. I guess the only saving grace for the season will be BYU winning the WCC and Tyler Haws winning WCC POY. :rolleyes:

Virginia Zags Fan
07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I guess the only saving grace for the season will be BYU winning the WCC and Tyler Haws winning WCC POY. :rolleyes:

I like your style NCC. I am sure Haws will be a nice addition to the team. Davies will be tough, but I think he will really miss playing off of Hartsock. BYU was at their best last year when NH was healthy and playing well.

This should probably be in another post, but it would be interesting to see who everyone thinks are the odds on favorites for WCC POY. I have a hard time seeing Haws beat Davies for BYU POY, let alone Delly from St Mary's and some of the other talented folks around the league.

NotoriousZ
07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
...I will point out that it has ALWAYS been very difficult for BYU to get bigger programs to play in the MC...

I think we can relate with that. But since we're "Big Time" now and can trade home games with more of the other quality programs, I can just be happy with our scedule and make fun of most of the other schools' attempts. It must be very tough for BYU, I know I don't want to play there. Just watching on tv as their ridiculous fans boo every call that goes against them is unsettling.

Nevtelen
07-11-2012, 07:15 PM
My guess is that Rose isn't that sure about what he has on his hands in terms of how good the team will be. There's the chance there for some okay wins (depending on Coaches v Cancer, especially). Several of the BCS teams they play look like games they could definitely win. I doubt their strength of sched will be huge, but if they stack up on a lot of wins and have a few over some of those average-ish BCS squads, it could easily be the 2nd best OOC sched in the conference in terms of helping BYU get an at-large (SMC will probably be a better team than BYU, but noooo way will they have any kind of decent ooc).

bostonzagfan
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
pretty weak. didnt go out and challenge themselves at all.

Bogozags
07-11-2012, 09:04 PM
well, fwiw, their fan base is pretty confident they're going to win the WCC this season and view themselves as a much improved team overall. They are confident, as they should be.

most of the coug fans i've spoken with in recent months view Tyler Haws, who is returning from a mission, as their '2nd coming' of Jimmer(i'm not kidding) and have mentioned him as potential WCC POY.

they like their freshman class of last yr returning from injury, a recent transfer becoming eligible, and carlino maturing as a PG...all is good in BYU land.

I agree with your summation...BYU will be pretty stout this season and maybe better than last year, even after losing two starters. I think Bell and Pangos will have a tremendous season and am hoping that KO will re-emerge and play with tremendous heart and conviction. It will not be an easy season to say the least and I have begun growing my nails so that I will have enough to chew on during conference play. The Zags will prevail and our candidate for POY will prove he is a first rounder.