PDA

View Full Version : ZaGranny's Adventures at Hoopfest.

ID ZAGFAN
07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Was so excited to go to my first HoopFest, I woke up at 7 and we were on the road by 8:30. We left the dogs at home, since we expected it to get hot.

We parked at GU and walked over to Riverfront park, giving me 30 minutes of exercise.

When we got there, we checked in at the Alumni booth, but weren't schedule there until 12. I went to the BIS booth and chatted with Kelly and David and had them sign my cast.I talked to Josh from the ticket office (whose place we would be taking.) He said he would be going over to watch Pendo's game at 12. Then we went over to center court to watch a game. As we sat there, a woman came over and said "My mom told me to ask you because you're ZaGranny and you know everything Zags. Do you know about the Zag team that is playing in Hoopfest?" Fortunately due to the board and Josh, I was able to uphold my reputation, and answered "That would be Douglass Properties, with Pendo, Heyvelt, Brian Michaelson and Nik Ravio, and they are playing at noon"

After the game, we went and grabbed some German sausage and reported for duty, at the alumni booth. That was fun. Our job was to ask kids (and adults) if they wanted their pictures taken with the GU cheerleaders, sign them up, and take their info to the computer after their pictures were taken. During that time, I spied Kevin Pangos at the BIS booth and went over and had him sign my cast, as well. The woman who had asked about the Zag team came by with her mom and let us know that Pendo's team had won, and would be playing again at 2. I also went over to the alumni booth and had Danielle Walters and Jazzmine Redmon sign my cast and chatted with them a bit.

About 1:30, the cheerleaders all left, and the woman in charge told us we could go, to make sure we got a seat for the game.

So we went over and watched. Really loved seeing Pendo, Heytvelt, Bryan and Nik Ravio play.After the game, they were having the slam dunk contest. Rumor was that Jeremy was going to dunk ahead of time, so we hung around to watch. He didn't but he and Rob Sacre judged the contest. Afterwards, I went over and visited with Rob and Jeremy and had them sign my cast. It turned out I was the "rent a Sharpie" agent except no rent. At least 6 people asked to borrow it to have Jeremy and Rob sign items, so we hung around there.

We settled in to watch Douglass Properties second game (that we had seen). It was by far the most difficult of their three games, mostly due to a guy draining 2's for the other team, but they managed to win it.

After that we had an hour before the finals game, so we walked across the bridge to the Steelhead Bar for a little dinner. I couldn't resist the Brewster Chicken Sandwich--in Pendo's honor--and it was great. Mr. ID had the Taco Salad, and we headed back for the final game.

This game was great, and not nearly as difficult as the second. The announcer mentioned that ROb and Steven Gray were there cheering them on--and you could hear Rob clear across the court.

After the game I went out the back corner. And I could hear Steven before I recognized him--he had his hood puled up, but there was no mistaking that voice. We had a great chat, and he signed my cast.

As we left, we saw Rob again, and he said "Get well!"

It is worth noting that all of the Zags, past and present recognized me, and the first thing they all said was "What happened to you?" when they saw my cast. Which was a bit awkward--since we don' know how I broke my arm, but it reaffirmed my view of them as caring and gracious young men and women.

We left and walked back to GU, giving me another 30 minutes of exercise, which I needed since I took yesterday off.

We drove home without incident. It was a long day, but a lot of fun. We plan to do it again.

ZaGranny

Psychozag
07-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I was volunteering at the BIS booth at the same time as you were at the alumni booth. You didn't recognize me, but we also sat next to each other last year at the Battle in Seattle. Looked like you were having fun getting your cast signed by everyone.

thebigsmoove
07-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Was so excited to go to my first HoopFest, I woke up at 7 and we were on the road by 8:30. We left the dogs at home, since we expected it to get hot.

We parked at GU and walked over to Riverfront park, giving me 30 minutes of exercise.

When we got there, we checked in at the Alumni booth, but weren't schedule there until 12. I went to the BIS booth and chatted with Kelly and David and had them sign my cast.I talked to Josh from the ticket office (whose place we would be taking.) He said he would be going over to watch Pendo's game at 12. Then we went over to center court to watch a game. As we sat there, a woman came over and said "My mom told me to ask you because you're ZaGranny and you know everything Zags. Do you know about the Zag team that is playing in Hoopfest?" Fortunately due to the board and Josh, I was able to uphold my reputation, and answered "That would be Douglass Properties, with Pendo, Heyvelt, Brian Michaelson and Nik Ravio, and they are playing at noon"

After the game, we went and grabbed some German sausage and reported for duty, at the alumni booth. That was fun. Our job was to ask kids (and adults) if they wanted their pictures taken with the GU cheerleaders, sign them up, and take their info to the computer after their pictures were taken. During that time, I spied Kevin Pangos at the BIS booth and went over and had him sign my cast, as well. The woman who had asked about the Zag team came by with her mom and let us know that Pendo's team had won, and would be playing again at 2. I also went over to the alumni booth and had Danielle Walters and Jazzmine Redmon sign my cast and chatted with them a bit.

About 1:30, the cheerleaders all left, and the woman in charge told us we could go, to make sure we got a seat for the game.

So we went over and watched. Really loved seeing Pendo, Heytvelt, Bryan and Nik Ravio play.After the game, they were having the slam dunk contest. Rumor was that Jeremy was going to dunk ahead of time, so we hung around to watch. He didn't but he and Rob Sacre judged the contest. Afterwards, I went over and visited with Rob and Jeremy and had them sign my cast. It turned out I was the "rent a Sharpie" agent except no rent. At least 6 people asked to borrow it to have Jeremy and Rob sign items, so we hung around there.

We settled in to watch Douglass Properties second game (that we had seen). It was by far the most difficult of their three games, mostly due to a guy draining 2's for the other team, but they managed to win it.

After that we had an hour before the finals game, so we walked across the bridge to the Steelhead Bar for a little dinner. I couldn't resist the Brewster Chicken Sandwich--in Pendo's honor--and it was great. Mr. ID had the Taco Salad, and we headed back for the final game.

This game was great, and not nearly as difficult as the second. The announcer mentioned that ROb and Steven Gray were there cheering them on--and you could hear Rob clear across the court.

After the game I went out the back corner. And I could hear Steven before I recognized him--he had his hood puled up, but there was no mistaking that voice. We had a great chat, and he signed my cast.

As we left, we saw Rob again, and he said "Get well!"

It is worth noting that all of the Zags, past and present recognized me, and the first thing they all said was "What happened to you?" when they saw my cast. Which was a bit awkward--since we don' know how I broke my arm, but it reaffirmed my view of them as caring and gracious young men and women.

We left and walked back to GU, giving me another 30 minutes of exercise, which I needed since I took yesterday off.

We drove home without incident. It was a long day, but a lot of fun. We plan to do it again.

ZaGranny

Thanks for the info, hope to one day make the trek to hoopfest from kentucky!