PDA

View Full Version : Blanchette interviews Pargo

Radbooks
06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Pargo is in town this weekend for a charity game Saturday night with a lot of NBA guys and he spoke with Blanchette from the Spokesman about the last few years playing pro ball.

This weekend, the former Zag favorite is part of the intriguing mix involved in the Jamal Crawford A Plus Classic, a benefit affair being staged at the Spokane Arena on Saturday night in conjunction with an even bigger ballapalooza you know as Hoopfest.

The best the Northwest has sent to the NBA have committed to Crawford’s shindig, among them Rodney Stuckey, Klay Thompson and Brandon Roy, plus a few from beyond the region.

“I was able to go overseas and fully regain all the confidence in myself,” Pargo said, “and fall in love with the game even more than I was before.”

That confidence was shaken during his final year at Gonzaga, notably in a couple of major meltdowns in losses to Connecticut and Memphis, and Pargo acknowledged that he “lost sight of what had made me successful.” The Maccabi experience was a revelation, then – especially after his first game against a Spanish team that saw his team trailing by 30.

“We got hit pretty hard (by the fans and media),” he said. “It was ‘We don’t have Euroleague guards’ and ‘We don’t have this,’ and there was speculating about them bringing in another point guard. But we pulled it together and it was an amazing experience. I had teammates that instilled confidence and trust, when guys are pushing you along, it makes you play that much harder.”

The rest of the article is at the Spokesman site (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jun/28/blanchette-pargo-takes-the-tough-road-to-success/?print-friendly).

bartruff1
06-28-2012, 10:53 AM
One of my all time favorites...damn, I miss those dunks !!!

U Zig, I Zag
06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Jeremy is making a go of it. Sounds like he got something out of his Euro experience (besides taxed, heyooo!).

I miss his explosiveness and athletic prowess.

cjm720
06-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Loved his game. His candor shows how much confidence can impact an individual's game as well as the team.

rennis
06-29-2012, 06:46 AM
I always loved the kid. I wish he could have forgotten all about that Connecticut game the second it was over. It was heartbreaking to see the way it affected him.

All the best Jeremy!

rijman
06-29-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm happy for Pargo. He found his confidence and he's made it into the NBA. I hope Ammo finds his confidence and some of that cocky attitude he had in college and maybe he'd have a chance of getting back into the NBA.

azzagfan
06-30-2012, 04:41 AM
I had the real pleasure to bump into Jeremy at a restaurant/bar in Tel Aviv when he was playing with Maccabi Tel Aviv. I was ordering my food when a guy came in to order some carry out, when I glanced over, I realized it was Jeremy. We talked for about 45 minutes about Spokane, Gonzaga, his NBA goals, his summer workout plans (for what ended up being the lockout extended offseason). I could tell from our discussion that he had a real roadmap to get to his goal of playing in the NBA.

He offered me tickets to the Euroleague game the next night (which I was unable to attend), but the smile on his face as we discussed some of his old Gonzaga teammates (Bouldin, Will Foster, Heytvelt, etc.) who were playing in Europe nailed home the greatness of the Gonzaga program. It was really a great surprise to be able to discuss Zag hoops with one of my all-time favorite Zags in a very unlikely place. I really hope that Jeremy thrives in the NBA over the next few years.

Snagglezag
06-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Pargo has worked his butt off. What a pay-off to get that two-year deal.

However, was there anyone else a bit unsettled when the Grizzlies drafted Wroten? I realize Pargo has another year on his contract, but that overloads them at the PG-spot: Conley, Arenas, Selby, Wroten, and our great Zag.

Clearly another important summer ahead of Jeremy.

Gonzdb8
06-30-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm happy for Pargo. He found his confidence and he's made it into the NBA. I hope Ammo finds his confidence and some of that cocky attitude he had in college and maybe he'd have a chance of getting back into the NBA.

while confidence will help what he really needs to "find" is his ability to create his shot against grown men. he also needs to "find" some defensive game.
wishing him the best and hope it all works out but not convinced he's got an NBA game.

Zagdawg
06-30-2012, 01:58 PM
"wishing him the best and hope it all works out but not convinced he's got an NBA game."

Theres an NBA GM that doesn't agree with your opinion--that 's why he is in the league.

KStyles
06-30-2012, 02:53 PM
"wishing him the best and hope it all works out but not convinced he's got an NBA game."

Theres an NBA GM that doesn't agree with your opinion--that 's why he is in the league.

I wouldn't consider summer league to be 'The League', but more like a chance/tryout to make it back into the NBA.

2wiceright
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't consider summer league to be 'The League', but more like a chance/tryout to make it back into the NBA.
www.jumpshot.sg/2011/12/12/jeremy-pargo-signs...with-memphis

Maybe I'm missing something but Pargo got picked up for a two year, 2 Million dollar gauranteed contract back in December of last year. Last year alone he played in 44 games, so not sure what you're referring to when you say he isn't already in the League. I realize he was put on inactive list during the playoffs which doesn't bode well for him seeing much of the court next year but unless they give him half his contract and send him on his way he's still in the league and practicing with his team. I wouldn't count him out yet in the NBA- he's got too much heart, IMO. As Blanchet says, "recalculate"...

KStyles
06-30-2012, 11:06 PM
www.jumpshot.sg/2011/12/12/jeremy-pargo-signs...with-memphis

Maybe I'm missing something but Pargo got picked up for a two year, 2 Million dollar gauranteed contract back in December of last year. Last year alone he played in 44 games, so not sure what you're referring to when you say he isn't already in the League. I realize he was put on inactive list during the playoffs which doesn't bode well for him seeing much of the court next year but unless they give him half his contract and send him on his way he's still in the league and practicing with his team. I wouldn't count him out yet in the NBA- he's got too much heart, IMO. As Blanchet says, "recalculate"...

You're missing something. Rijman, then gonzdb8, then me were all talking about Adam Morrison, who isn't currently in 'the league.'

tobizag
07-01-2012, 06:54 AM
that uconn game was the most painful loss i've ever seen in person. buuuh-rootal. aj price had no business making that shot. steven gray single handedly kept us in that game.

all the best to jeremy and his continued nba career.

Zagdawg
07-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I apologize --I was talking about Pargo also---I missed the morrison switcheroo.

2wiceright
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
You're missing something. Rijman, then gonzdb8, then me were all talking about Adam Morrison, who isn't currently in 'the league.'

OOps, I sorry, I didn't see a few of the OT comments.... :doh: