• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Casey Benson to visit next weekend

Per Scout.com's Josh Gershon. This is the PG that reminds me of Cody Doolin.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Scrappy player. Kind of a weird release on his outside shot...looks almost like a lefty, but his accomplished runner, short game are all definitely right handed shots.
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• DagsZags
      Bulldog Fan
      • Apr 2012

"Benson has come into his own a great deal over the past year, and he grew up right before our eyes in this year's event. Benson made every big shot down the stretch, but also also provided unique leadership and veteran handle of the basketball in the event - making his teammates better and providing a refuse-to-lose attitude in the event."

Benson is among the top overall talents in the state and is currently regarded as the state's top prospect in Arizona's very talented 2014 class. He has become one of the state's elite-level talents and will see his share of college recruitment at the highest level.

Nice write-up from early May on Casey. Sounds like he really blew up at the Pangos AA camp from a few weeks back, where it sounds like he received several new offers

Comment

• SteelCityZag
        Kennel Club Material
        • Aug 2007

The videos I've seen this kid reminds me of Delly. Anyone else see that?

Comment

• DADoZAG
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2009

Hey BZ, is there clarity on if it's Friday or Saturday? And you do mean this coming weekend, Hoopfest weekend, right?

I couldn't work out scheduling to get to the Mac last week, hoping to go either Friday or Saturday upcoming. Might as well use this visit as the decider for which night.

Any schedule out on autographs at Hoopfest?

Go ZAGS!
          Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

He'd be a good one to sign if he lives up to the writeups.
            See how he does in some scrimmages next week.

Comment

• zag67
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

I just noticed on the Arizona page, that his older brother is a coach at Boise State. Maybe we will see him get some offer to go there?

Comment

• KStyles
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag67 View Post
                I just noticed on the Arizona page, that his older brother is a coach at Boise State. Maybe we will see him get some offer to go there?
                That same article says he already has an offer from Boise State, as well as Boston College, Arizona St. & Colorado. It says he also holds an offer from D-II Grand Canyon University.

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

Saturday would be the day I'd go. I understand it will be this coming weekend.

Is Hoopfest already? Time is flying.
                  The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• DagsZags
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Apr 2012

Max Preps also named Casey to the All-American Third Team for the Class of 2014. Another GU recruit, Jordan McLaughlin, made Honorable Mention. Very nice honors for these two guys. Andrew Wiggins, of course, is their POTY for the 2014 class.

THIRD TEAM

Casey Benson, Corona del Sol (Tempe, Ariz.)
                    6-2 | 170 | Guard
                    Second team Division I All-State pick teamed with Arizona State-bound senior Calaen Robinson in Aztec backcourt, helping program go 32-1 and capture state title.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

I know it's early, but it's interesting that he's not getting the kind of offers I would expect from the so-called best prospect in the state of Arizona.

I think Grand Canyon has one of the best mascots in D-II, btw

P.S. Can we stop comparing GU prospects to current or former rivals of GU? If someone gets compared to Kickert, Keep, or Samhan I'm going to have to dislike him on principle alone :]

Comment

• DagsZags
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                        I know it's early, but it's interesting that he's not getting the kind of offers I would expect from the so-called best prospect in the state of Arizona.

I think Grand Canyon has one of the best mascots in D-II, btw

P.S. Can we stop comparing GU prospects to current or former rivals of GU? If someone gets compared to Kickert, Keep, or Samhan I'm going to have to dislike him on principle alone :]
                        The nice thing is that yes, it's early. Many times kids will commit to a school that has been recruiting them from the beginning, so the earlier GU is on a a kid they like, the better.

Casey has really blown up over the past couple months, so his recruiting is still taking off. Even so, Scout.com says he has several D-1 offers, including ASU, Boise State, Boston College, St. Mary's, USC, Colorado, and now Gonzaga. Rivals also lists many schools showing interest in him, including the likes of Louisville, Georgetown, Marquette, Virginia, Stanford, Oregon, and Cal. Once the July evaluation period begins, one would expect his actual offers list to grow even more.

The earlier they get kids like Casey to visit, and hopefully commit, the better IMO

Stay up to date with all the Arizona high school sports news, recruiting, and more at 247Sports.com

Comment

• ZagNative
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag67 View Post
                          His brother, TJ Benson, graduated from Grand Canyon University, transferring there from Weber State. Since October 2011, he has been Assistant Director of Basketball Operations at Boise State.

Basketball camp at GU this week starts tomorrow and runs through Friday. Seattle Prep (DJ Fenner and Josh Martin) will be attending, in case anyone here is able to attend and do some scouting for us.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Zagaholic recruit profile

We did a recruit profile on Casey today:

Casey Benson recruit profle

Comment

• sittingon50
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Lookin' forward to info from those on/near the scene.
                              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

Working...
                              X