PDA

View Full Version : Summer scrimmage?

Salsageek
06-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Did anyone go and watch the pickup games after camp? Spill the beans here...

zag buddy
06-21-2012, 01:13 PM
I did but I was met with a very young door monitor and I did not go in. He said he was to stop anyone from entering who did not have affailiations with the camp. Oh well I tried.

MDABE80
06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't know who administers these camps. If somebody with some clout might call them, we can do full reports nightly.

U Zig, I Zag
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I am handsome - that usually gets me places. I'll give it a go!

Salsageek
06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
How about show him a portrait of Andrew Jackson and slip it in his shirt pocket? :roll:

Zag 77
06-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Put on some baseball gear and bring a couple of baseball bats. Tell them you are there to use the batting cages.

This only works if you are under 30 and look like you might be able to hit a fastball.

gozagswoohoo
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Put on some baseball gear and bring a couple of baseball bats. Tell them you are there to use the batting cages.

This only works if you are under 30 and look like you might be able to hit a fastball.

:roll:

americasteam
06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Sam Dower, Kelly O, Gary Bell Jr, David Stockton, Kyle Dranginis,Chris Sarbaugh are some of the guys playing. Also there to play was Adam Morrison, Steven Gray and Josh Heytvelt.

David and Gary were really grooving - great give and go kind of stuff. Gary looks much more confident this year. Kyle looked very good, played very smart. Sam couldn't keep his shorts up, spent a lot of time hiking them up, mid post move. Kelly O was playing some pretty good ball.

I'll know more tonight.

sittingon50
06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
I NEVER looked like I(nor could) hit a fastball (nor curveball, change up, etc) & my boyish good looks (unlike U Zig's) deserted me a # of decades ago.

That & the fact that I live over an hour away means YOU CAN DEFINITELY not count on me.

Baldwinzag
06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Did anyone go and watch the pickup games after camp?

That's a clown question, bro.

kidding;)! Excited to hear/read the reports this summer. Thanks in advance.

nonzagzag
07-28-2012, 11:37 AM
anybody have any reports at all?????

The509sfinest
07-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm at the camp and was able to watch the scrimmages, you guys will neer believe me but mike heart can get up! He dunked on two people including Adam Morrison! Guy Landry edi looks really good so does Harris. If you guys have any questions let me know

Therunner
07-28-2012, 12:08 PM
you guys will never believe me but mike heart can get up! He dunked on two people including Adam Morrison!

he can dunk on NBA guys, yet inexplicably, Mike is still apprehensive to do a simple lay up in a real game. Odd, isn't it? remember when Stockton was our own version of Spud Webb last summer? :)

summer scrimmage/pick-up reports are the most bittersweet aspect of being a Zag fan, imho.

so much build up, yet typically doesn't translate to organized bball or actual practices.

i sincerely enjoy reading the reports and updates in the off-season and more than thankful for the individuals who offer their insights and recaps, yet last summer all we read about was, 'David Stockton can do 360 dunks and simple the most dominating guard in camp', 'Marquise Carter is going to have a huge final, breakthrough season based on his summer play, the leader of the team, most complete guard' etc etc, the year before it was, 'Kelly Olynyk may declare for the NBA after the season, he can't be stopped in practice, way stronger and more athletic, according to a Canadian coach he's a future NBA star, etc etc",

this year it seems Kyle Dranginis and Mike Hart are receiving the accolades and hype. which is fine, just don't put too much stock in after school pick-up games or performances. for instance, pangos barely shoots in scrimmages and focuses on getting his teammates the ball and addt'l reps, yet when it comes to games, he may shoot 15+ shots...heck, after all the reports last season, Pangos was barely mentioned as a factor, it was all about Stockton, Carter, Spangler, et al.

all that said, I say keep 'em coming, but after years of false hopes and proven otherwise, I just don't pay much attention to these scrimmage impressions anymore. nothing personal, just the way it is...

cjm720
07-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Stockton and 360 dunks? That's a first...lol

hooter73
07-28-2012, 01:08 PM
pfft Morrison could never defend anyway :p

MDABE80
07-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Given to hyperbole. Stocks dunks. Never did see a 360. Hart looks good all the time....in practice. Still, no idea what happens in a real game.

Edi didn't shoot much.
Kelly and the NBA? Somebody thinks so I guess. He has two years to show that.
Kyle? Hoping he's spectacular. Not seen it yet. I think the report on Kyle came from the team player and from one of our poster writing glowingly last Winter.

We'll been spectacular this year .;)

bostonzagfan
07-29-2012, 09:54 AM
this year it seems Kyle Dranginis and Mike Hart are receiving the accolades and hype. which is fine, just don't put too much stock in after school pick-up games or performances. for instance, pangos barely shoots in scrimmages and focuses on getting his teammates the ball and addt'l reps, yet when it comes to games, he may shoot 15+ shots...heck, after all the reports last season, Pangos was barely mentioned as a factor, it was all about Stockton, Carter, Spangler, et al.

all that said, I say keep 'em coming, but after years of false hopes and proven otherwise, I just don't pay much attention to these scrimmage impressions anymore. nothing personal, just the way it is...

last year people were saying pangos looked really good, and that he was the leading scorer in practices and scrimmages. some of the reports are accurate and translate over to games.

JPtheBeasta
07-29-2012, 10:31 AM
last year people were saying pangos looked really good, and that he was the leading scorer in practices and scrimmages. some of the reports are accurate and translate over to games.

+1

I remember reports that Pangos was winning 3-pt shooting contests on the regular last summer.

I have seen Stockton get up high enough to dunk in warm-ups before a game in K2. I don't remember the 360 dunk comments, but I don't think anyone expected him to do it in a game, even if he could, so that issue is a non-starter for me. He weighs 160 lbs or something, and is athletic. It's not a total shock that he can get up.

Hart definitely has scored lay-ups in games, and although I'm guessing that the comment earlier in the thread was facetious, it is still disparaging and negative to a good Zag that works his butt off. I would not be surprised at all to see him dunk. And if you can dunk, it is also possible to dunk "on somebody"- I doubt it was Pargo-style, but there is a wide spectrum there and it really doesn't seem unreasonable to dunk on Morrison in a pick-up game. Lebron got dunked on by a high-school kid once during some camp, so what's the big deal?

I am one that appreciates the summer reports, so please keep them coming.

hockeyzag
07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't care if the reports on some of these players are a little too ambitious, I love reading them. Keep them coming please :)

Hogan
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't have much to add but an old high school friend of mine coaches in Hillsboro, Or. and has brought his team over to the GU camp for the last ten years or so. The last couple years the coaches have (half-hardheartedly) tried to talk their kids into going to a camp closer to home, such as U of O,Or. State, or U of Portland to save money. The kids always want to come to GU,largely because the players and coaches are so great.The GU players are actively involved and with one exception over the years are wonderful with the high school kids.The coaches too. My friend has spoke of Mark Few bringing pizza down for late night coaches meetings, hanging out and just being one of the guys. The only thing he really said this year was watching Gary Bell and Stockton showing some ball handling drills. He said Bell was very impressive but Stockton was unbelievable. On one drill Stockton was dribbling two balls at the same time,with one he was doing a cross-over and the other was dribbling behind his back or through his legs, all the while running full speed down court. It is easy to focus sometimes on what our players can't do without recognizing some of the amazing things they can do.We are awfully lucky to have this great program in little old Spokane.

JoeZag
07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I just got back to Colorado after taking my sons to camp at GU. We watched the scrimmages on two nights and here is a brief recap:

Old Dogs: JP played both nights and he looked great as ever, taking hits from two or three guys and still finishing under the hoop. Josh was there one night and looked to be pretty far out of shape but could still shoot it and get up on occasion. Ira! looked fantastic around the rim and has really improved his outside game as well.

Drew Barham - Can really stroke it and hit virtually all of his open threes. Not terribly athletic but can be an effective spot-up shooter.

Sam Dower - Sprained his MCL and was on crutches. I talked to him briefly and he said he would be ready for the season.

Gary Bell - Really elevates on his jumper and looked like he could score any time he wanted.

Kyle Dranginis - Shoots the ball well and is more athletic than people give him credit for; threw down a couple of nice dunks.

Elias Harris - Still looks trim. Shot the ball well and had a few nice dunks, but didn't mostly coasted during the scrimmages.

Mike Hart - Played well as he usually does during summer scrimmages. He is a gifted offensive player but doesn't seem to have the confidence to do it during the season.

David Stockton - Probably the most impressive player on the floor for much of the scrimmages. Shot the ball pretty well but his strength was getting anywhere he wanted with the dribble. He penetrated at will and had a bunch of nice scoop shots and assists. FYI he dunked a few times after the games but no 360.:)

Kelly Olynyk - His post game has vastly improved, helped by the added weight and strength. He battled well with JP and Josh and didn't get pushed around. He also hit a few jumpers, but he is not the second coming of Adam Morrison.

Guy Landry Edi - In great shape as usual. His jumper was decent but most of his stuff was going to the hoop.

Kevin Pangos - Shot the ball well when needed but mostly concentrated on involving his teammates. Extremely competitive and hated losing even in the pickup games. Kevin is my youngest son's hero and we waited after the scrimmage to ask for a picture. Kevin was very gracious and well-spoken, even asking about the shootings and fire in Colorado. He got a chuckle out of the fact that my son immitates his freethrow routine and they shot one together before taking a picture. Great kid!!!

Vanzagger
07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
sorry but let a CC find a little guy to pound the air out of the ball while everybody else stands around.

gozagswoohoo
07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I just got back to Colorado after taking my sons to camp at GU. We watched the scrimmages on two nights and here is a brief recap:

Old Dogs: JP played both nights and he looked great as ever, taking hits from two or three guys and still finishing under the hoop. Josh was there one night and looked to be pretty far out of shape but could still shoot it and get up on occasion. Ira! looked fantastic around the rim and has really improved his outside game as well.

Drew Barham - Can really stroke it and hit virtually all of his open threes. Not terribly athletic but can be an effective spot-up shooter.

Sam Dower - Sprained his MCL and was on crutches. I talked to him briefly and he said he would be ready for the season.

Gary Bell - Really elevates on his jumper and looked like he could score any time he wanted.

Kyle Dranginis - Shoots the ball well and is more athletic than people give him credit for; threw down a couple of nice dunks.

Elias Harris - Still looks trim. Shot the ball well and had a few nice dunks, but didn't mostly coasted during the scrimmages.

Mike Hart - Played well as he usually does during summer scrimmages. He is a gifted offensive player but doesn't seem to have the confidence to do it during the season.

David Stockton - Probably the most impressive player on the floor for much of the scrimmages. Shot the ball pretty well but his strength was getting anywhere he wanted with the dribble. He penetrated at will and had a bunch of nice scoop shots and assists. FYI he dunked a few times after the games but no 360.:)

Kelly Olynyk - His post game has vastly improved, helped by the added weight and strength. He battled well with JP and Josh and didn't get pushed around. He also hit a few jumpers, but he is not the second coming of Adam Morrison.

Guy Landry Edi - In great shape as usual. His jumper was decent but most of his stuff was going to the hoop.

Kevin Pangos - Shot the ball well when needed but mostly concentrated on involving his teammates. Extremely competitive and hated losing even in the pickup games. Kevin is my youngest son's hero and we waited after the scrimmage to ask for a picture. Kevin was very gracious and well-spoken, even asking about the shootings and fire in Colorado. He got a chuckle out of the fact that my son immitates his freethrow routine and they shot one together before taking a picture. Great kid!!!

Great report!!

gamagin
07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
sorry but let a CC find a little guy to pound the air out of the ball while everybody else stands around.

I see here is in your posts.

cjm720
07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the reports, these are great!

Therunner
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
:cheers:

I see Stocks is up to his usual Steve Nashian ways this summer and as always, Hart resembles a college version of Manu Ginobili every pre-season...must admit, I still love reading them :).

Zagdawg
07-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Good to hear the off season reports-- thank you for taking the time to post them---keep them coming.

sittingon50
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
I enjoy the reports, even if a bit "creative" as to someone's abilities.

It worked for me 31 years ago trying to impress my future wife!

;)