PDA

View Full Version : Drew Urquhart

thebigsmoove
06-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Here is a Recruit Profile (http://www.zagaholic.com/2012/06/recruit-profile-drew-urquhart.html#more) for canadian Prospect Drew Urquhart.

hooter73
06-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Kelly Olynyk v2.0?

Goshzagit
06-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Not quite --

I'm not sure people recall or realize that Olynyk was named the overall "Canadian POY", in addition to his "Provincial POY" when it was all said and done.

Kelly was approaching 6'10" by the time he was a Junior and averaging around 30 ppg and shooting 40+% from 3pt...by the time KO was a Senior he was scoring over 35 ppg, 13 rpg -- not many know this considering stats aren't as closely tracked and/or publicized as in the States.

Olynyk was receiving fairly heavy interest from D1 programs by the time he was Drew's age, including offers from Providence, Michigan, San Diego, and recruiting interest/efforts from Syracuse. Kelly also competed on the FIBA U18 team.

Drew isn't quite on the same pathway, at least not yet, especially with the exponential uptick in Canadian talent these days.

Kelly's offensive style and game are somewhat of a match, yet if anything Drew would be considered a "poor man's" Kelly Olynyk at the same stage.

fwiw, ESPN considered KO Top-25 at his respective position(Forward) when he was only a Junior. Speaking of, watch out for him this season as well...coming out party 2012 for him. Guaranteed.

duper
06-21-2012, 10:56 AM
The video reminded me more of Patrick Simons out of Ephrata that just announced he is leaving from WSU.

Goshzagit
06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
The video reminded me more of Patrick Simons out of Ephrata that just announced he is leaving from WSU.

Not that is a perfect comparison -- versatile, smart, long, lanky, nice mid-range game, doesn't really go inside much 'cept to score.

Again, while KO isn't a bruiser or a banger, he's always been a solid rebounder and willing to hit some folks inside, even in HS.

Simon and this kid are more like 6'8" SG's.

thebigsmoove
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Not that is a perfect comparison -- versatile, smart, long, lanky, nice mid-range game, doesn't really go inside much 'cept to score.

Again, while KO isn't a bruiser or a banger, he's always been a solid rebounder and willing to hit some folks inside, even in HS.

Simon and this kid are more like 6'8" SG's.

+1