PDA

View Full Version : hall of shame....

jazzdelmar
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
A record 10 men's basketball teams, including three-time national champion Connecticut, will be banned from next season's NCAA tournament because of subpar work in the classroom. UConn becomes the first "big six" school to face a postseason ban in either of the two most prominent college sports based solely on the annual Academic Progress Rate scores, which the NCAA released Wednesday.

Men's Basketball
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
x-Cal State Bakersfield
California-Riverside
Connecticut
Jacksonville State
Mississippi Valley State
North Carolina-Wilmington
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Toledo
Towson

U Zig, I Zag
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8077431/connecticut-huskies-9-others-sit-postseason-apr

JPtheBeasta
06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Illiterate?!?! I don't even known what the means!

sittingon50
06-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I wonder how the U Con team that beat the Zags in '99 did in the classroom?

75Zag
06-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Men's Basketball
• Arkansas-Pine Bluff
• x-Cal State Bakersfield
• California-Riverside
• Connecticut
• Jacksonville State
• Mississippi Valley State
• North Carolina-Wilmington
• Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
• Toledo
• Towson

Except for UConn, that list looks like potential future GU opponents for "Senior Night". Not a lot of national men's BB horsepower there.

But on a more serious note, we already know that many young teens come from backgrounds were - for various reasons - they excel at BB but are horrible at academics. If Elite BB was not all about the 1 year "Win and Done" and was more about offering legitimate academic opportunities to young people of every background, our world would probably be a better place. Teaching an 18 year old inner city kid to read at a reasonable level at the same time you profit from his BB skills seems like a fair trade to me, but that's not the way the BB world works.

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
• x-Cal State Bakersfield
• California-Riverside
• Connecticut
• Jacksonville State
• Mississippi Valley State
• North Carolina-Wilmington
• Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
• Toledo
• Towson

There is a clear solution to the academic problems at schools like Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Mississippi Valley State. Don't start the basketball team's season off with 15 consecutive road games. And if you can't afford not to do that, move to division two. Those kids spend way too much time on planes and buses and not enough time in the classroom. I blame the university more than the kids themselves. They're setting them up for failure.

cjm720
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
There is a clear solution to the academic problems at schools like Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Mississippi Valley State. Don't start the basketball team's season off with 15 consecutive road games. And if you can't afford not to do that, move to division two. Those kids spend way too much time on planes and buses and not enough time in the classroom. I blame the university more than the kids themselves. They're setting them up for failure.

So that's Romar's plan LOL

jazzdelmar
06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
"Except for UConn, that list looks like potential future GU opponents for "Senior Night". Not a lot of national men's BB horsepower there."

toledo was once a power. the rockets i believe. towson was a shock. they are a football member of the academic oriented patriot league (as is georgetown) and they once played all the better academic schools in the east. of course if memory serves they also dominated.

MDABE80
06-20-2012, 02:53 PM
mud hens is the baseball team. I played there.

jazzdelmar
06-20-2012, 04:16 PM
mud hens is the baseball team. I played there.

I bet u batted in the, um, heart of the order....

hondo
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Sometimes the GPAs suffer if you have more than a handful of profs who won't be intimadated into passing out unearned grades.