PDA

View Full Version : 2013 St. Anthony's Josh Brown on the Zags' Radar

ZagNative
06-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Adam Zagoria posted the story:
osh Brown’s stock is on the rise and he’s decided to re-open his recruitment after pledging to Temple last season.

“Yes, I did,” the 6-foot-2 2013 St. Anthony combo guard told SNY.tv after the news had previously been reported by several outlets. “The reason why I did is I don’t want to regret anything when all is said and done. I want to just enjoy the process.

“Temple is still top on my list. The new schools I have now are Rhode Island, Gonzaga, Virginia and Richmond.”NBE Basketball (http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0616/josh-brown-re-opens-recruitment-schools-already-making-their-pitch/)posted this:
It came to a surprise of many yesterday when word spread that Josh Brown had decided to re-open his recruitment and back off of the verbal commitment he gave to Temple last fall. Brown had told many in the last year, even before committing to the Owls that they were his dream school.

Brown is a 6-foot-3, 190-pound point guard that plays for legendary coach Bob Hurley at St. Anthony’s in Jersey (NJ) City. On the AAU trail he has been impressive with Sports U, leading the team to the Rumble in the Bronx championship last weekend over rivals the NJ Playaz. Here is what NBE National Recruiting Analyst Brian Bosworth had to say on Brown last weekend:

Every time I watch Brown play I’m more amazed that Temple was able to steal him away from the traditional Big East powers. He has been transitioning to the point over the past year after spending his youth on the wing and the process appears almost complete. A great decision maker and leader with elite athleticism to back it up, Brown is a top 50 player nationally that no one is talking about.
With the news of his de-commitment, it did not take long for others schools to contact him.

“The first school that called today was Rhode Island,” said Brown. “I also received calls from Gonzaga, Virginia, Richmond, Memphis, and I also spoke with Temple.”

RockandRollJames
06-17-2012, 07:54 PM
SSF said that we have offered him.

BobZag
06-18-2012, 09:21 AM
I want this guy.

DADoZAG
06-18-2012, 09:37 AM
I want this guy.

Who wouldn't, but is there really a chance?

If he's just testing the waters, I don't see much hope as my guess is he's looking for Kentucky or Duke interest.

I followed Temple up until the Chaney "melt down", but have lost track since. Anyone feel they can compare programs, GU compared to Temple?

Go ZAGS

ZAGGED OUT
06-18-2012, 10:08 AM
are you saying GU is a lower level than Temple?

JPtheBeasta
06-18-2012, 11:20 AM

This recruit called Temple his "dream school." I think if you are an east coast kid Temple might be more appealling, but I personally feel GU has been a better program over the past many years and Temple is just now starting to get on my radar again.

MDABE80
06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
We just don't have the culture of the NJ/NYC area. Sounds like a pretty strong addition. I'd say we're a long shot for this NE top 50 kid. My experience is that unless you're a Kentucky or UCLA, it's very hard to pry those kids loose from over there in NJ/NY> Jazz might comment.

Meanwhile Darin Johnson from Sacto was offered according the SSF gang. He looks very very good as well. Not quite in Brown's class but very good...

DADoZAG
06-18-2012, 12:08 PM

No, and JPtheBeasta answered for me pretty well.

Just a bit of history on Temple under John Chaney from 1982 to 2006;
• Played postseason every year but Chaney’s first
• Made the NCAA tourney 17 times
• Made the NCAA second round 13 times
• Made the Elite Eight 5 times
• Had 15 Seasons with 20 wins or more (back when fewer games were played)
• A-10 Record 296-100 (regular season) and overall 516-253
• Temple was known for their OOC schedule, sound familiar?

This young man has stated Temple is his “Dream School”. Perhaps it’s his parent’s dream?

I was asking about Temple now though, as I haven’t followed them much since ’04-'05. Why would Temple be a young man’s dream now?

I agree with ABE (did I just write that?), as he may be just seeing if any of the mills are interested. ‘Course, UCLA may be a mill but not in mbb anymore. But you never know, perhaps this young man’s west coast uncle has a dream, too.

Go ZAGS!

ZAGGED OUT
06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
ahhh gotcha, I just couldn't tell if you were asking for the recent comparison or if something was implied. I agree with pretty much everything that was said, would be a tough recruit to land, nonetheless interesting however.

DADoZAG
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
ahhh gotcha, I just couldn't tell if you were asking for the recent comparison or if something was implied. I agree with pretty much everything that was said, would be a tough recruit to land, nonetheless interesting however.

Implied?

Are you saying that sometimes my posts have a hidden meaning? :D

It would be great to have a player of Mr. Brown's stature just considering GU let alone actually committing. But you know, GU ain’t GU anymore. Some ZAG fans might find the name a bit less than attractive, but even the east coast is considering the new Sheriff on the Left Coast, and that Sherriff’s name is “ZAGA.”

Be cool.

Go ZAGS!

ZAGGED OUT
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
It will never be Zaga.

DADoZAG
06-18-2012, 01:58 PM
A rose by any other name...

kitzbuel
06-18-2012, 02:32 PM
We just don't have the culture of the NJ/NYC area. Sounds like a pretty strong addition. I'd say we're a long shot for this NE top 50 kid. My experience is that unless you're a Kentucky or UCLA, it's very hard to pry those kids loose from over there in NJ/NY> Jazz might comment.

Meanwhile Darin Johnson from Sacto was offered according the SSF gang. He looks very very good as well. Not quite in Brown's class but very good...

Gerard Coleman proves never say never.

MDABE80
06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
We have an exceptionally strong name in the EAST. Coleman's a bit different having some maturity. He needed the best place he could get his hands on. Family was a big part of his decision as well.

That said, Kids like Brown are wayyyyyy up there. He's got his chops in the NY/NJ corridor. He's glued to it and so are his friends being in the St Anthony's program and all that. DOn't know much about his family . I do know that most of those kids stick in that region.
How he'd come to Spokane is unknown. GU isn't those NE schools. I'm glad it isn't. Much depends on the kid's brain. Knowing what I know though, those kids ( unless something amazing comes their way) figure they can get everything they want where they are.
I do wish he'd like us and come here. It could happen. Unusual though.

kitzbuel
06-18-2012, 04:02 PM
We have an exceptionally strong name in the EAST. Coleman's a bit different having some maturity. He needed the best place he could get his hands on. Family was a big part of his decision as well.

That said, Kids like Brown are wayyyyyy up there. He's got his chops in the NY/NJ corridor. He's glued to it and so are his friends being in the St Anthony's program and all that. DOn't know much about his family . I do know that most of those kids stick in that region.
How he'd come to Spokane is unknown. GU isn't those NE schools. I'm glad it isn't. Much depends on the kid's brain. Knowing what I know though, those kids ( unless something amazing comes their way) figure they can get everything they want where they are.
I do wish he'd like us and come here. It could happen. Unusual though.

A little cachet and a bit of a pipeline with Coleman making it conceivable and who knows.

I stick with never say never.