PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jim Solan

Angelo Roncalli
06-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Jim Solan passed today, losing his courageous battle against cancer. Jim was a graduate of Gonzaga and Gonzaga School of Law. He practiced law in Spokane., specializing in workers comp and social security law. Jim was a devoted Zag fan, an avid golfer and hell of a good basketball player. In 2005, Jim, Russel, Go Zags and I defeated the Kennel Club Board in a pickup basketball game (I believe GoZags posted photos on the old board). The only reason we won was because of Jimmy's great outside shooting. Jim always had a smile on his face and would do anything to help anybody. He will sorely missed by his friends and family, by the Spokane legal community, and by the GU community. Keep hittin' em straight, Jimmy.

gamagin
06-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I met him while he was attending law school. Liked to drive fast race cars, as I recall, and owned one for many years. Pulled a long shift as Spokane City Attorney, too.

RIP.

bullzag23
06-16-2012, 04:27 PM
His son is a good friend. I knew he was in trouble but didn't realize it was this close. RIP Jim. You will be missed.

RenoZag
06-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I met Jim Labor Day weekend, 2001, at Twin Echo Shores, when I was visiting (along with other GU Class of 79 members ) a pal with a cabin two doors down from Jim. We became acquaintances on the golf course, over BBQ, and on my return visits to my friend's place, was always welcomed by Jim & Linda. . .

A good man gone much too soon. RIP.

GoZags
06-16-2012, 08:05 PM
This has been tough. Very hard. Jim Solan was the reason I chose Gonzaga over Washington. He was my best friend from high school's older brother. He was a great guy. I'd always look forward to him coming home for the Holidays, or the Summer -- and he always had time for his younger brothers (and their friends). He also had time to counsel me on my college choice.

Jim was a Senior at Gonzaga when I was a freshman -- and with his law school and settling in Spokane he and Linda were my anchors for my entire 4 years as a Zag. What great Mentors.

Yesterday, while watching golf (actually while passing time before play had begun), I thought of Jim and mentally replayed a round of golf Jim, his brothers and I had played at Grays Harbor Country Club nearly 40 years ago, when he was home during Spring break. He shot a 67 (he could do that from time to time) and I'd shot a 76 (much rarer for me). I could remember a lot of that round.... some of the shots and some of the banter. I didn't have cell or email communication yesterday (not allowed at the Olympic Club) so it wasn't until late last evening that I got a note from another friend (thanks RZ) that Jim had died earlier that morning.

I'm sure I'll see some of you in Spokane on Friday afternoon to celebrate the life of Jim Solan at his 1pm service.

hooter73
06-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I got my butt handed to me on the racetrack by him more than once. Peace to him and his family.

Zag 77
06-16-2012, 09:47 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. Jim was a really class act and well thought of by the bench and bar in Spokane. He always had a smile and a sense of humor and loved his Zags.

SteelZag
06-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Jim coached the '76-'77 golf team of which I was a member, while he attended law school. Time constraints with travel gave him a full plate that spring but he took everything in stride. Solid golfer, great mentor and will be missed. I left Spokane in 1980 and only ran into him a few times after that but it was always great to run into him. I wll miss our carefree days on the golf course and will remember him, always. RIP.

MDABE80
06-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Good man, good Zag. Leaving us far too soon.. RIP and prayers for him and his family..