PDA

View Full Version : Josh Braun 2013 g

AzZag
06-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Family friend of mine. Wish the Zags would offer.
Local legend ever since he led our high school to a Class 5A2 Arizona state championship as a freshman.
3 * recruit
San Diego is after him along with Arizona State, New Mexico St and yes...St Mary's. Ugh.
He sat with SMC during the WCC tourney last year. :fingergun:

The best looking true jump shot I have ever seen and mad hops.

http://vimeo.com/38402917

SWZag
06-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Another video, maybe from a year ago. He's #12.

Men's Basketball College Recruiting Video for Josh Braun (http://www.ncsasports.org/college-recruiting-videos-highlights/josh-braun)

Looks like he averaged 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds a game this year and 20 ppg as a soph.

Player of the Year in the Northwest Region as a sophomore. Josh is a very versatile player that can score both inside and out. He is one of the hardest working players on the team. He is also very explosive in all phases of the game. Josh has worked very hard this off-season to continue to be a very good player at both ends of the floor.

I saw a couple places where GU was mentioned. Not sure if that's his wishlist of GU interest.

Looks like his current offers are from:
USD
Northern AZ
NM State
Grand Canyon State
Weber State

Arizona Hoop Review Scouting Report: Braun is a tough prospect with good athleticism and a great knack for the ball. Braun has a very good physical build with excellent toughness. He has a very nice shooting stroke that he shoots with very good confidence and nice range. Braun can also get his own shot off the dribble and make plays for himself or others. He is also a good scorer around the painted area of the floor, as he does not mind physical contact and gets to the free throw line. A very good ballhandler that is capable of playing either guard position on the floor, but is at his best from the shooting guard position where he can score the basketball. A very good rebounder with a good wingspan. A good defender. Possesses excellent work ethic and has good passion for the game. Has a bright future ahead of him depending on what level he lands at. Among the best well-rounded basketball prospects in Arizona - regardless of class.

SWZag

ZagFanInNC
06-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Family friend of mine. Wish the Zags would offer.
Local legend ever since he led our high school to a Class 5A2 Arizona state championship as a freshman.
3 * recruit
San Diego is after him along with Arizona State, New Mexico St and yes...St Mary's. Ugh.
He sat with SMC during the WCC tourney last year. :fingergun:

The best looking true jump shot I have ever seen and mad hops.

http://vimeo.com/38402917

One of the best put together highlight tapes I have seen

ZagaZags
06-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Pendo

bostonzagfan
06-16-2012, 06:26 AM
looks kinda short in the video?

JPtheBeasta
06-16-2012, 07:43 AM
That is an impressive highlight reel. I'm ready to recruit him :] If only I had a team... The kid does everything. Great instincts on the defense for blocking shots. He seems like the kind of combo guard Few likes. I'm guessing he's a 3 star because of the competition?

whatazag
06-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Nice looking player. I can't tell how tall he is from that video, looks the same height as everyone else on the floor, but I would guess he is going to need to put on another couple inches his senior year to make up for his lack of quickness if he wants to have an impact at the D1 level.

bostonzagfan
06-16-2012, 12:49 PM
what kind of competition is this against? this makes a huge difference imo. i know some people don't agree, but i will give you a comparison.

in hs in MA there were guys in the league who dominated, even better numbers than this kid. our center averaged 20-15-6(blocks) and went d3. a kid we played avged 26 a game his jr and sr years. went d2 then transferred to d3. by comparison, naadir tharpe had 1000 career points halfway through his sophomore year in our league. and averaged a state high 30 ppg as a sophomore. and he didn't play well for Kansas last year. so the numbers are impressive, and the play is impressive, but it needs context. for example, some of those offensive rebounds, there was no one around boxing him out. if the guy is the schools all time leading rebounder, how do you not even get a body near him?

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Every once in awhile, Gonzaga finds a really good player that bigger conference teams miss because he is playing in a region that is not heavily recruited. This kid just might be one of those guys.

SteelZag
06-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Competition-flip side. Some kids are just great athletes and their ceiling may never be known until they get an opportunity. I remember a kid my age who tore up the state B competition while playing for Brewster. His senior year he transferred to Wenatchee and I believe he led all 3A scorers in the state, 3A being the top level at the time. Also, I remember a kid from Odessa, WA, another B school who in the late 60's moved to Spokane and led all 3A scorers in Spokane. Possibly another Pendo as was mentioned earlier.

JPtheBeasta
06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
If a guy can play, he can play. Adam Morrison or Wally Szczerbiak come to mind. I imagine part of the appeal for AAU ball is to challenge oneself against the highest level of competition and showcase one's skills. I also think that's why some low hype kids blow up over a summer when they prove that they can excell against the big boys.

AzZag
06-17-2012, 01:30 PM
I can help answer some of the questions.
Josh is a legit 6'3 and pushing 6'4
He is very athletic and a great first step and vertical.

Unfortunately out of need he has to play forward/center because of the lack of size on the team. However, he is a true 2 guard and plays that on the AAU circuit and for his club team.

It would be hard to find many high school kids with as polished and well rounded of a game. Most 2 guards aren't shot blocking threat like Josh is.

Regarding the level of competition question, his high school is in Arizona's largest classification. (5AII).
They play against top talent in Arizona. Westwind prep academy which has had players like Demarquise Johsnon, Chandler Hamilton with Eric Jacobsen (arizona state) and Kenny Martin (Arizona state). All three of those players were in and out of Rivals 150 over the past year or so.

It is a relatively new school built around 2004-2005 so there isn't a lot of history to draw from, however they did win a state championship a couple years ago in an incredible run. In the championship game Rex Chapman's son Zeke, drove down the lane with a couple seconds left for the game winning layup. Josh Braun as a freshman came from nowhere and swatted it at the rim sealing the victory.

He is a heckuva talent, but even better kid. Someone will land a great addition to their school with no off court problems.

MDABE80
06-17-2012, 01:56 PM
He looks amazing. Tough kid who mixes it up underneath (no fear) and he's a very good athlete. Maybe the staff should give him a long look. I would. Every once in a while...........we find a killer without a high ranking. He might be one of those.

bostonzagfan
06-17-2012, 02:55 PM
if it's good comp as you say it is, then i like it.

steelzag, going up a level within prep is not as big of a difference as it is going from public to prep, which is what i was getting at.

tlark420
06-17-2012, 03:38 PM
looks good to me for a look..what he lacks in explosiveness/quickness he makes up with smarts

maybe try growin some zag hair and the coaches will notice him

ldszagfan
06-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow, what a video! I was only going to watch a couple minutes or so, but ended up watching the entire thing. The kid looks good. Although I wonder how quick his footwork is. I also would love to have the staff take a long look at him. From that video, I would love to have him as a Zag. Too bad we can't refer him to the coaches.

hooter73
06-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Awesome well rounded utility player, does some of everything. Some one will get lucky signing him under the radar.