PDA

View Full Version : Drew Barham

RockandRollJames
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
From SSF. 2 years of eligibility from Memphis. Ready to go right away.

ZagNative
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
SSF tweets:
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit

Getting word that Drew Barham, a transfer from Memphis, visited Gonzaga this past week. We are also hearing he committed on that visit.

Barham, a 6'7'' forward, will graduate from Memphis this summer and will be able to play immediately. He has two years of eligibility. #Zags

Barham is an immediate depth replacement after the Monninghoff transfer. Didn't get much run at Memphis but will give Zags needed depth.

BobZag
06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Oh dear

KStyles
06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AqK8b.png (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/46961/drew-barham)

Looks like he started out as a walk-on, and earned a scholarship (http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=448831) for his second year. Sounds like it was his decision (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/nov/04/redshirt-decision-all-barhams/) to redshirt last year behind a strong bench.

75Zag
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
If he can help GU and has no baggage that might disrupt GU team chemistry, ok with me. I think he has a past track record of changing his mind about where he wants to play.

kitzbuel
06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Holy crap, my head is spinning.

http://www.hairymeatball.org/my_weblog/files/spinning_head.gif

BroncoZAG615
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I actually kind of love this addition. Sure his stats are nothing to gawk at but even with him, the Zags have four open schollies for next years class. This current team needs depth, not necessarily another guy to come in and bust the rotation.

Don't really quite get the negative comments. If we were schollie-strapped, yes I'd be seriously confused but I'll take this guy for two years.

ZagNative
06-15-2012, 01:58 PM
From the Memphis Roar (http://memphisroar.com/2012/05/redshirt-sophomore-drew-barham-transferring/) on May 10:
he Commercial Appeal’s Jason Smith reported Thursday night on Twitter that Memphis redshirt sophomore Drew Barham is transferring from the program. Barham, a 6-foot-7 native Memphian who attended Christian Brothers High School, plans to graduate this summer and will be able to play immediately as a graduate transfer.
As we first discussed as a likely possibility on April 12th in the premium section, Barham transferring should come as no surprise. He initially signed with Southern Illinois out of high school, but chose to join then first-year head coach Josh Pastner at the University of Memphis. At that point in time, the roster was depleted and Barham appeared likely to get a decent share of playing time at the small forward position because of his ability to shoot the ball from deep.

Instead, Barham averaged only 4.8 and 7.0 minutes his freshman and sophomore years respectively. Choosing to redshirt this past season, Barham gave himself time to develop and potentially crack the line-up next season. Even still, the Tigers are loaded on the wing and playing time still appears to be scarce for Barham.
According to a source, there is a legitimate possibility that he follows former Memphis assistant Jack Murphy to Northern Arizona. Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia is another school that will be considered. He will have two years of eligibility remaining no matter where he heads.I noted from his twitter account (https://twitter.com/#!/dbarham12), he played this summer for Athletes in Action, a Christian athletes group that traveled to Europe and was 5-0, including a big win over Karnowski's U20 Polish Team. He made friends with Karnowski when they played.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I actually kind of love this addition. Sure his stats are nothing to gawk at but even with him, the Zags have four open schollies for next years class. This current team needs depth, not necessarily another guy to come in and bust the rotation.

Don't really quite get the negative comments. If we were schollie-strapped, yes I'd be seriously confused but I'll take this guy for two years.

I agree 100%. Still plenty of flexibility in recruiting even after his schollie, and now we won't be so vulnerable in the event there's an injury.

SageOfZagville
06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Not that impressed with his shooting percentages, but if nothing else wll provide needed depth at practice and perhaps during the games. It sounds as if he was a good three point shooter at one point. Maybe the red-shirt year provided some added strength and confidence. Welcome

BobZag
06-15-2012, 02:23 PM
It is not a good move for Barham. Instead of sitting on the bench in his hometown, he'll be sitting on the bench in Spokane. I really feel for the kid. He should be going to a college like Liberty or other lower level college where he can start and play big minutes. That's every kid's dream. Not to be depth on a team a thousand miles away. I wouldn't do it.

kitzbuel
06-15-2012, 02:31 PM
It is not a good move for Barham. Instead of sitting on the bench in his hometown, he'll be sitting on the bench in Spokane. I really feel for the kid. He should be going to a college like Liberty or other lower level college where he can start and play big minutes. That's every kid's dream. Not to be depth on a team a thousand miles away. I wouldn't do it.

He is freakin' smart.

Two-time recipient of the Conference USA Academic Medal in 2009-10 and 2010-11 ... Named to the Conference USA Commissioner's Honor Roll in 2010 and 2011 ... Earned a 4.0 grade-point average for the 2010 spring and 2011 spring semesters ... Named to the Dean's List all four semesters of his career (2009 fall-2011 spring) ... Earned Tiger 30 distinction for the 2010 spring, 2010 fall and 2011 spring semesters ... A member of the Tiger 3.0 Club all four semesters (2009 fall-2011 spring).

Regardless of how much he plays he will have Masters from a good school.

ZAGGED OUT
06-15-2012, 02:44 PM

I agree with other posters, obviously education is important. He'll recieve a quality Masters no doubt. In addition, why would we be opposed to a role player with valuable size? Sure his shooting %'s weren't great but you have to look at the team difference. Memphis thrives on ATHLETES (i.e. Rose, Evans, etc.) and loves to let their players break defenders down iso style. This doesn't help shooters. Gonzaga is great about moving the ball, being un-selfish, and making the extra pass. Look at the kids highlight vids, he has a good looking shot so it's not like we have to transform his shot for him to contribute. If he has a level head, I think he can be a valuable role player for us.

And besides, it doesn't look like this kid has made the NCAA tourney in his career, what college player wouldn't want to experience the tourney? Everyone deserves a shot before we all criticize. That is why coaches and staff are paid to do what they do, and we are all sitting here pounding keyboards. I think everyone needs to cool off and see where this goes.

cggonzaga
06-15-2012, 03:07 PM
His high school video looks almost identical to Hyland's except Drew is 6'7". I like this move just for depth at practice. Practicing with 11 would be very difficult considering you're almost always going to have a guy or two sitting out with some minor ailment. I remember hearing how guys like Bouldin and Grey hardly ever practiced their senior seasons due to injuries.

jpwils
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Smart guys are assets as long as they encourage and edify the players, staff and system. I will keep an open mind on him and hope Coleman and Hart And GLE influence him in a good way on the court! Sounds somewhat similar to MM but an inch taller. Wonder what his major would be?

Good job to the staff who reacted quickly!

KStyles
06-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Wonder what his major would be?

It appears his Bachelor's Degree was in Sports Management, so possibly a degree in 'Sport & Athletic Administration'? You could probably compare the two schools and find a few more options (Organizational Leadership always jumps to mind), but seems like Memphis has most of the basics covered.

http://www.memphis.edu/gradschool/degrees.php

http://www.gonzaga.edu/academics/graduate/default.asp

ZagFanInNC
06-15-2012, 04:29 PM
So he is 6'7, is he athletic? Does he play good defense?

CDC84
06-15-2012, 04:51 PM
The only concern I have is that he takes a 2013/14 scholarship away. That is, if the Zags intend on having him on scholarship in 2013/14. I realize there are schoolies to burn, but there are some really good players to be had in the 2013 class, and, as always, I like having an open schoolie or two for Gerard Coleman type transfers. If it were a one year deal, I would be all for it.

Grateful Tiger
06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I have mixed feeling about Drew leaving the Tigers but I am really happy to see such a good kid end up at a quality program like Gonzaga! He is an exceptional young man (no baggage) and if he can get it going in games a lights out 3pt shooter. His foot speed and lateral movement is questionable but has been really working hard to increase them.

He will be a great addition to your team regardless as both an example of hard work and his actions on and off the court.

The best part is that Gonzaga games are always on TV late at night here in Memphis and we will get to watch.

Wish you guys the best of luck this season and I hope Drew makes Memphis fans rue the day he left! He really is an awesome kid!

DCZag
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Just watched the video on Mehan's blog and the kid looks like he has a good stroke. So I guess we aren't looking so "thin" like some had suggested earlier....

ZagNative
06-15-2012, 06:28 PM
This thread needs some pics, including this one from The Memphis Roar ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d72uB5aeaNg/T9vuBII3sAI/AAAAAAABVTM/zUFD1XaUF2A/s512/2012-06-15%2520Drew%2520Barham-3.jpg?gl=US

and this one with Drew on the right, vs Rob Sacre when he was a freshman, in the Spokane Arena:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eNf2kbKRKbk/T9vtw6gFYNI/AAAAAAABVTA/Al7YcOQkV08/s512/2011-02-05%2520Memphis%2520at%2520GU%2520Robert%2520Sacre-1.jpg?gl=US

Gonzaga’s Robert Sacre tries a shot while Memphis’ Tarik Black, left, and Drew Barham, right, try to prevent it. The Tigers pulled past the Bulldogs, 62-58, on Saturday, Feb. 5, 2011. (Jesse Tinsley / The Spokesman-Review)

P.S. Would one of the Mods please change the name spelling in the title of the thread, deleting the "n"? It's "Barham." Meehan says the "h" is silent.

madness
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't see a downside for the Zags or Barham here. I just have a feeling that we were very lucky with injuries last season, and it's always best to err on the side of depth. If he can shoot the 3 and compete in practice, then Zags are a better team because of him.

Goshzagit
06-15-2012, 07:56 PM
meh...

A good kid and teammate, yet can't quite understand nor comprehend the reasoning from his POV.

Its a win-win for Gonzaga. A tall, smart, nice kid who can add depth in an emergency scenario, yet GU is better than Memphis as a team and I agree with BZ in terms of seeking PT. However, maybe there is more to the story and PT isn't his first priority -- maybe he wants to be a Lawyer or study Philosophy, Religions, etc.

While it doesn't quite add up for me, I'm fine with it...a slightly less accurate Mathis Monninghoff from what I gather. He'll stick it out, be a good presence in the locker room, and be fun to follow and root for, but that's about it.

I have a feeling he believes he can earn PT at Gonzaga, but if anything, it may be tougher to break the rotation than at Memphis. We'll see.

RockandRollJames
06-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I would appreciate it if a moderator fixed my misspelling of his last name.

I'm also waiting on the brigade that will come in and say, "Stop hating on the kid before he even gets here. Welcome to the Zag family!"

RenoZag
06-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm not a brigade, I'm just one fan. . .I hope he makes a positive contribution to the team.

Thread title changed

NotoriousZ
06-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Yep. Win-win for everyone.

Welcome, Drew!

SWZag
06-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Welcome Drew!

Former Memphis Tigers forward Drew Barham transferring to Gonzaga
(http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jun/15/former-tigers-forward-drew-barham-transferring-gon/)

We know that sometimes when transferring to a different school, system and different scenery, something clicks and players can take off. We've had a few of those who transferred out and are playing great.

Again, welcome!!

SWZag

DCZag
06-16-2012, 04:50 AM
We have several "stars" in our lineup - nice to have a few "glue" guys that are willing to accept roles. Smart kid who will also help our APR numbers. We have tons of schollies available. I see no downside here.

kitzbuel
06-16-2012, 04:58 AM
I was kind of down with MM's departure but not even 24 hours later Barham is on board filling the role nicely.

Now I just wonder how much MM knew of the staff's recruiting efforts.

Bottomline seems to be the staff is not gonna sit around and wait in reaction mode any more.

bostonzagfan
06-16-2012, 06:31 AM
awesome pick up. from all info gathered, seems like someone who really WANTS to be here. for those wondering about his POV, maybe he wants to be a part of something greater, a team that will be very, very good next year. some people would rather contribute to a tourney team by giving the starters all have in practice than be a star in d2

JPtheBeasta
06-16-2012, 07:50 AM
awesome pick up. from all info gathered, seems like someone who really WANTS to be here. for those wondering about his POV, maybe he wants to be a part of something greater, a team that will be very, very good next year. some people would rather contribute to a tourney team by giving the starters all have in practice than be a star in d2

Those are the kinds of guys we need. He has to think he has a shot at beating out Hart for the backup 3 spot, as well; I would feel that way, at least.

U Zig, I Zag
06-16-2012, 08:43 AM
We should probably start putting names on the backs of jerseys again ;)

I say welcome, Drew. MM's departure matches up with Drew's arrival. Bodies for practice, a smart kid that could get some PT. Maybe he just wants to get out of Dodge for a bit - finish up school someplace else. GU/Spokane takes care of these kids in many ways after they are done playing basketball.

Good choice on his part.

hooter73
06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Ill start with a big old WELCOME TO GONZAGA!

at first I really didnt get it. a guy comes in to take the place of basically another version of himself who left because a foreseeable lack of playing time due to depth at his position. Kills off an open scholarship, blah blah blah.

If he is as smart and as good of a kid as we hear then he is coming in with no expectations. That is someone that wants to be here and will be a good team guy which is rare these days. So I am actually pretty pleased with this one.

ZagsGoZags
06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
not every player gets high PT numbers
and I doubt he has illusions about his PT
we have to have some players who can live with lower levels of playing time

and he knows Few is merit based, so he probably believes with all his hard work he will earn more and more PT,

and I hope he is right

Baldwinzag
06-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Didn't realize he sat out last season due to red-shirt. Interesting.

He'll be a good fit -- on an off the court. We 'desperately' needed the depth and versatility. Due to his natural length, he can play some 4 vs small teams or lineups.

Try to name a better JUCO aka 2 yr player to provide depth at SF for us.

Besides limited PT for Barham, this is a win-win for both.

Excited to add him with the departure of MM, good move by the staff and Welcome!

Ekrub
06-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Teams thrive because of guys like him and mike hart. Good pick up IMO.

gu03alum
06-16-2012, 12:43 PM
because I know the old guys on here like twitter so much, here is a tweet from Mr. Barham:

Drew Barham ‏@dbarham12

I am officially a Gonzaga Bulldog! Thanks for all the love and support! -Jer. 29:11-

for those of you wondering the bible verse in his tweet is this:

Jeremiah 29:11

New International Version (NIV)

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Kiddwell
06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Memphis is a topnotch program. Getting a transfer from there is good.
Few & Co. like him; therefore, Kiddwell likes him.

Welcome aboard, Drew. Hit your shots; grab your rebounds; find your niche; flourish. :adored:

:]

SLOZag
06-16-2012, 01:58 PM
for those of you wondering the bible verse in his tweet is this:

Jeremiah 29:11 according to the New International Version (NIV)

11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I'm confused. Does all of this mean God recruited Drew to give us a hope and a future? If so, move over Tommy.

Or is Drew God and he's telling us what he's bringing to the table?

If God does prosper us, is it fair to assume that God likes us more than our opponents?

If so, the rivalries in our almost entirely religiously-affiliated league are going to be seriously ratcheting up!

Welcome aboard, Drew!

gu03alum
06-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm confused. Does all of this mean God recruited Drew to give us a hope and a future? If so, move over Tommy.

If God does prosper us, is it fair to assume that God likes us more than our opponents?

If so, the rivalries in our almost entirely religiously-affiliated league are going to be seriously ratcheting up!

Welcome aboard, Drew!

Without a doubt. No other explanation.

Seriously though, I'm sure that Gonzaga being a religious school has been a small factor in getting and not getting recruits at times. I think I read that Dickau came to Gonzaga partially for that reason.

ZagaZags
06-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Welcome aboard, Drew!

Not a Gael.

gu03alum
06-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Not a Gael.

God is a Gael (http://godisagael.com/)

MickMick
06-16-2012, 04:12 PM
He brings experience and has practiced against a ton of athleticism.

Losing Hoff and picking up Barham is a wash. Zags get the depth at wing back.

DCZag
06-17-2012, 04:53 AM
More than a wash - Barham WANTS to be here now. MM decided it was best for him to pursue something else. All things being equal, Drew wants to be a Zag, so we are ahead IMHO.

KStyles
06-17-2012, 05:08 AM
More than a wash - Barham WANTS to be here now. MM decided it was best for him to pursue something else. All things being equal, Drew wants to be a Zag, so we are ahead IMHO.

MM wanted to be here last year, I'm sure he gave 100%, so GU goes from last year having a wing who wanted to be here to this year having a wing who wants to be here. All things being equal, seems like a wash to me.

cjm720
06-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Great news!!! Welcome Drew!!

bballbeachbum
06-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Welcome Drew and good luck!

I too wonder if this is a reaction to MM's decison or if MM's decison was made with this info in tow. Whatever, a Masters from Gonzaga and chance to play on the team too...sounds like a good deal for all.

JPtheBeasta
06-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Welcome aboard, Drew!

Perhaps this a kid who believes in a God who has a purpose for him and is finding comfort in that, knowing he's about to make a major change in his life.

Saxon_zag
06-17-2012, 11:42 AM

So cool of god to do that for us. Especially for Drew.

Kiddwell
06-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Perhaps this a kid who believes in a God who has a purpose for him and is finding comfort in that, knowing he's about to make a major change in his life.

+1 -- A young man acknowledging God's purposes/direction in his life.

:]

Blitzing-Zag
06-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Welcome aboard Drew! Practice hard, work hard and study hard, do those things and you will be successful here.

jake
06-18-2012, 07:43 AM
On the headlines for college bball on ESPN it says "Rumor: Gonzaga picks up another transfer". Does anyone know if that is an older story about Coleman or something new? It's an insider article....

sittingon50
06-18-2012, 07:49 AM
A kid that was a part time starter for a Nationally Ranked program & got his college degree in 3 years.

Why the he** does the staff bother with guys like this?

:fingergun:

zagfan07
06-18-2012, 08:01 AM
It's about Barham's transfer:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors/_/date/20120618#7694

Gonzaga gains another wing
10:55 AM ET
Gonzaga has already gained one transfer this offseason: Providence's Gerard Coleman decided to trek to Spokane and use his final two seasons of eligibility playing in the West Coast conference (though he will not officially take the court until 2013-14). According to Jason Smith of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal, the Bulldogs have gained another transfer.

In Josh Pastner's second season at Memphis, expectations were high for Drew Barham. Though the Tigers had a highly-touted recruiting class arriving on campus, the coaching staff was enthusiastic on Barham's ability to connect from long-range, and believed Barham would see significant minutes at the wing. However, the 6-foot-7 Barham used just 13.4 percent of Memphis' minutes in 2011, decided to redshirt last season, and since he has graduated from Memphis, will transfer to Gonzaga. Barham will be eligible immediately, and it will be interesting to see how Mark Few and the coaching staff integrate Barham into the rotation.

When Coleman announced he would transfer to Gonzaga, the move made sense since Guy Landry Edi's eligibility will have expired, and while Kyle Dranginis will be a sophomore, there would still be available minutes at the wing. Since Barham will likely have two seasons remaining, we wonder whether his addition was simply to add depth. Barham does have long-range touch, and could bolster the Zags' three-point percentage; Gary Bell, Kevin Pangos, and Elias Harris all have perimeter skill, and Barham's role could be to give the squad a fourth member to connect from deep.

webspinnre
06-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Exactly. Even if this guy isn't going to be a star for us, this seems like a great signing from a team standpoint of a good guy with great academics who will fill a key role, especially on a team that was light on depth.

jake
06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks. I should have read that thread first. The name Drew Barham didn't mean anything to me, so I figured the thread titled Drew Barham was just about some potential recruit.

HillBillyZag
06-18-2012, 08:54 AM
A friend who live and dies with Tiger hoops emailed me about this young man's heart! Picture "Pendo" without the red hair. Bobby says Drew only knows one way to play and that is with the "hammer down"! None of us know for sure how many minutes he will earn?, but I'm willing to bet we will enjoy them!

jpwils
06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Honestly I think this is a win for GU and staff.

Sounds like an excellent student and a good shooter who can come in in certain situations and give GLE or Dranginis a rest.

I liked Hoff but this might turn out to be a real sleeper play for Zags and gives us pretty strong depth now.

Next year IMO it will be Coleman's job to lose, but will still have some minutes for him then , too. Practices should be VERY interesting this year and next, fellas!

kitzbuel
06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
I also believe that Barham is immediately eligible, not in 13-14 as the ESPN article says.

JPtheBeasta
06-19-2012, 06:41 AM
I also believe that Barham is immediately eligible, not in 13-14 as the ESPN article says.

I believe I read he graduated already and redshirted last year, so he's good to go right away.

dnj116
06-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Other way around -- article mentions that Coleman is not eligible until 13-14, and that Barham is eligible immediately. No worries though, reading comprehension is my thang.

kitzbuel
06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Other way around -- article mentions that Coleman is not eligible until 13-14, and that Barham is eligible immediately. No worries though, reading comprehension is my thang.

Yeah....whatever.

:)

dnj116
06-19-2012, 10:59 AM
And for anyone interested in the Memphis fans' perspective on Barham's transfer, here is the link to their forum (http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=574491). I always enjoy seeing what others have to say from the other side of the fence. Pretty positive stuff, generally.

Cheers!

JPtheBeasta
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
And for anyone interested in the Memphis fans' perspective on Barham's transfer, here is the link to their forum (http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=574491). I always enjoy seeing what others have to say from the other side of the fence. Pretty positive stuff, generally.

Cheers!

It's funny how they don't bash the guy on his way out of town and just wish him well...

An interesting quote:

Wish Drew all the best. But I am going to miss his intro dancing at Memphis Madness this year.

Looks Dranginis will have some competition for best dancer on the team

cjm720
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I really like this signing and see it as an upgrade (with respect to MM).

LongIslandZagFan
06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
It's funny how they don't bash the guy on his way out of town and just wish him well

That doesn't happen here? ;)

sittingon50
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Only when you're around, LI!!

:D