PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA Rules re: texts & calls

SLOZag
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
"Starting Friday, Division I men's basketball coaches will be able to send unlimited texts and make unlimited calls to recruits who have wrapped up their sophomore year of high school. The NCAA will also allow coaches to send private messages to prospective players through social media sites like Facebook and Twitter."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-deregulates-texts-calls-hoops-182411259--ncaab.html

Hope Few & the rest of the staff get up to speed quickly, as the competition sure will.

gamagin
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
time. . .

gonwick
06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Yikes. That clip of few saying he doesn't email at the tourney last year means we better hope tommy and the others are much more tech savvy.

MDABE80
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Not enforceable so why not bail on the policy. Besides, guys like Calipari and others found ways around it anyway. Just didn't seem practical even though I agreed with the intent of the rule.

bballbeachbum
06-15-2012, 07:55 AM
capitulation to the machine.

So now a salesman/recruiter can send private messages to 16-17 year olds on facebook and twitter? This aspect of the new 'rules' are an affront to parents, my opinion.

and that says nothing about the thousands of texts some of these teenagers will receive...benfitting them of course...NOT.

someone please explain to me how I don't get this and my reaction is off base...because I really hope that's true.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-15-2012, 07:58 AM
The old one probably wasn't enforceable, but I do not like this change.

75Zag
06-15-2012, 08:15 AM
I was on a long and boring flight last week and read a very interesting article in the Economist (thanks United) about the rapid maturation of alternative electronic payment systems using smart phones, etc. to deliver money.

Now the NCAA is making recruiting via smartphone devices legal.

Coincidence? I think not. Just imagine: "Hubert, you got another one of those Twitters from Coach Calapari about you bein' a ball player! - great news son, now we can put another addition on the pig shed!"

Go Bulldogs!

Section 116
06-15-2012, 04:16 PM
As noted a while ago in another thread the NCAA has decideded the slippery trounament logos have to go. Here is a bit more on that from USA Today as well as a few other rule tweaks:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/06/ncaa-approves-rule-change-will-scrap-slippery-decals/1