PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong banned from Ironman

gu03alum
06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Lance Armstrong banned from Ironman (http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/14/sport/armstrong-doping-allegations/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Champion cyclist Lance Armstrong won't be allowed to compete in international Ironman triathlon contests while he's under investigation for doping, the World Triathlon Corporation announced Thursday.

The ruling bars him from the Ironman France competition scheduled for June 24 in Nice, the agency said.

The decision comes after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, or USADA, confirmed Wednesday that it is opening proceedings against Armstrong and five former teammates.

Armstrong said Wednesday the agency intends to "dredge up discredited" doping allegations against him in a bid to strip him of his seven Tour de France victories.

I personally think that Lance probably doped, but there seems to be no evidence or any thing that supports that he doped.

Eroop22
06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I go back and forth. I want to believe he was clean. But even if he wasn't I don't think it taints any of his accomplishments because everyone in cycling seems to be dirty.

gu03alum
06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
I go back and forth. I want to believe he was clean. But even if he wasn't I don't think it taints any of his accomplishments because everyone in cycling seems to be dirty.

I agree, and I feel like if they didn't catch him when he was competing then the window for going after him has closed.

EagleFuzz
06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
As a fellow T cancer survivor let well enough alone. If you didnt catch him at the time its a done deal. They cant preserve / test the evidence forever sooner or later they will run out. The guy is a stud leave it at that. LIVESTRONG

EagleFuzz
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/other-sports/usada-s-travis-tygart-plays-prosecutor-jury-and-judge-lance-armstrong-case

cjm720
06-21-2012, 01:03 PM
A co-worker of mine just competed in a half-Ironman in Hawaii. Lance won by a lot. I guess that was his thing before dominating in cycling.

RenoZag
08-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Sports Illustrated laid out the case against Armstrong in an in depth article published in Jan 2011.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1180944/index.htm?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a3

I read the article at the time of publication and came away convinced that the guy "got away with it."

Armstrong can point to all of his passed drug tests all he wants; in my mind his cycling legacy is tainted.

LongIslandZagFan
08-24-2012, 06:50 AM
There isn't a single clean rider in cycling. If they are clean, they ain't winning.

webspinnre
08-24-2012, 07:12 AM
My question with this recent USADA thing is - what authority do you have over his titles? USADA has nothing at all to do with the Tour de France. If the Tour wants to strip him, that's fine, or whatever the International cycling group is called, they might be able to do it. But a US based drug agency? Certainly no jurisdiction over his titles.

Zag 77
08-24-2012, 08:49 AM
I have a lot of mixed feelings about Mr. Armstrong. On the one hand I wonder what the point of this is, since he is retired. On the other hand, I can understand the need for integrity in sports. On the other hand, there is widespread cheating in cycling.

I do not understand how he could pass all the tests for all those years.

I also have to respect anybody who not only survives Stage 4 Cancer, but comes back to comptete as a world-class athlete. His personal life is nothing to brag about, but he has raised a boatload of money for cancer research.

I can understand his feeling that he does not give a $hit anymore about the USADA and wants to get on with his life.

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
His statement saying that he's tired of fighting doping charges and is done defending himself seems strange. You know what you call a defendant who chooses not to defend himself in court? A convict. I think Lance knew he was going to lose and thought throwing in the towel on his defense might make him look better, i.e., 'I was banned beause I stopped defending myself, not because I was guilty.'

CDC84
08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-gives-up-fight-against-usada--raising-questions-about-his-innocence-.html

My worry with all these doping news stories is that it's going to get to the point where every athlete who has any kind of success will be accused of cheating. That's bad for athletics. The only way you will be spared from the witch hunt is if you are mediocre.

I could see a day when star athletes intentionally lose games and races - whether they are doping or not - just to keep the doping accusations away. It'll be viewed as better to win just a couple of gold medals and have a pure image than to win 12 gold medals and be constantly under attack. I'd hate to see that happen.

Eroop22
08-24-2012, 09:24 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-gives-up-fight-against-usada--raising-questions-about-his-innocence-.html

My worry with all these doping news stories is that it's going to get to the point where every athlete who has any kind of success will be accused of cheating. That's bad for athletics. The only way you will be spared from the witch hunt is if you are mediocre.

I could see a day when star athletes intentionally lose games and races - whether they are doping or not - just to keep the doping accusations away. It'll be viewed as better to win just a couple of gold medals and have a pure image than to win 12 gold medals and be constantly under attack. I'd hate to see that happen.

Its already happened a lot of people think Caster Semenya threw the 800m final at the Olympics this year.

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-24-2012, 12:07 PM
I think LeBron is doping -- just throwing it out there. Most nights, he's fastest, strongest, highest jumping player on the floor by a wide margin, and he's doing it with a 6'9", 260 lb frame. Did he win the genetic lottery, or is he getting some help?

http://pisforprops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/nba_g_kingjames_576.jpg

zag944
08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
The guy was the most tested athlete in the world and always passed. They found reporters in France trying to plant stuff in his hotel room during his streak. I dont really know what he would be able to do to defend himself further, other than continue to repeat the same mantra. I dont know why his cooperation (or this investigation) are relevant at all any more.

Armstrong is the #1 guy thatll draw publicity for the USADA and by far the #1 guy thatll draw publicity for cycling, and it is remarkably unfair that he has to be pursued because of that. Id much rather these groups refocused their efforts on getting more stringent, frequent, randomly timed, and scientifically accurate testing in place to stop future use.

gu03alum
08-25-2012, 06:16 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/419790_407948579268182_1301921323_n.jpg

RenoZag
01-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Questions Oprah SHOULD have asked. . .

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/questions-oprah-should-ask-lance-armstrong-230849439.html

. . .includes this:

8. Greg LeMond, a three-time Tour de France champion, once raised the following hypothetical question: "If Lance's story is true, it's the greatest comeback in the history of sport. If it's not, it's the greatest fraud."
The allegation is that you heard that and decided to use your influence with Trek bikes to drop its association with LeMond's brand. The company even went to court to end a long-term contract. "Greg's public comments hurt the LeMond brand and the Trek brand," a company official said at the time.

What comment? Wondering about something that was true?

The move cost LeMond millions. Did you try to ruin him financially simply for spite?

Wetzel wrote about Lance on Saturday also:

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/if-lance-armstrong-is-coming-clean--he-owes-hundreds-of-apologies-to-those-he-bullied-on-the-way-to-those-tour-de-france-titles-051119475.html)

Here's guessing this is less about the thrill of competition and more about Armstrong realizing that fewer and fewer people are paying attention to him, let alone believing his fable. Here's guessing he has come to the stark realization that there isn't any other way out of that sink hole. It's better to be a humble hypocrite than a nearly forgotten joke.

BobZag
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I was a fan of Armstrong, I'll admit it. And I accept that he cheated now. While no longer a fan, and knowing what he did now, he'll get whatever comes his way in regards to lawsuits, reputation, humiliation, etc.

My only beef is how this became a Captain Ahab-Moby Dick hunt. It was very similar to Javert endlessly persuing Jean Valjean for something done in France, not in the United States, but in a foreign country. It's the UNITED STATES Anti-Doping Agency, not French, not European. The almighty Americans to the rescue of the poor hapless foreigners again.

That's my only beef.

But he cheated and he'll go down faster than the Titanic for it.

webspinnre
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
I think I'm more upset by everything coming out about how ruthless he was in ruining anyone who didn't get with the program of protecting his image.

Zagpower
01-16-2013, 04:48 AM
With so much money involved, the cheaters are always one step ahead of the testers.

I bet there are substances right now (other than HGH) that cannot be detected by current tests.

zagco
01-16-2013, 05:13 AM
There are substances and programs that can get by tests. Although, tests are improving a lot.

Cheaters have a huge advantage. Just with basic steroids, the ability to lift your max every day in a muscle group is HUGE. Yeh, you have to still train, but that's what you do anyway--you're an athlete. The "you still have to train" excuse is a joke. Zagco has been what he calls a serious recreational lifter for a long time, and there have certainly been times when he wished he could work out a lot more, but even in tip-top shape, you really gotta give a muscle group (chest, triceps, back, legs, shoulders, biceps) about 3 days off before doing it again.

gu03alum
01-16-2013, 05:18 AM
There are substances and programs that can get by tests. Although, tests are improving a lot.

Cheaters have a huge advantage. Just with basic steroids, the ability to lift your max every day in a muscle group is HUGE. Yeh, you have to still train, but that's what you do anyway--you're an athlete. The "you still have to train" excuse is a joke. Zagco has been what he calls a serious recreational lifter for a long time, and there have certainly been times when he wished he could work out a lot more, but even in tip-top shape, you really gotta give a muscle group (chest, triceps, back, legs, shoulders, biceps) about 3 days off before doing it again.

I took about 2 1/2 weeks off from lifting weights due to the holidays and being sick last week. I have done two days of lifting (incline bench press and other related lifts on Monday and Military Press and related lifts yesterday) and I feel like ####. If I tried to go and do any kind of lifting today I might puke. I'm going to play basketball at lunch instead. All of this is to point out how easy it would be to take a couple weeks off, pop some roids, and pick up right where you left off without feeling like ####.

RenoZag
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I think I'm more upset by everything coming out about how ruthless he was in ruining anyone who didn't get with the program of protecting his image.

Pretty Much Sums Things Up (http://deadspin.com/5976386/lance-armstrongs-biggest-crime-was-being-a-huge-####ole)