PDA

View Full Version : John Stockton Dream Team

Zagtana
06-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Don't know if this has been discussed ... tonight (Wed.) on NBA TV at 6 p.m. Spokane time, documentary on U.S.A. Dream Team of 1992 Olympics includes JOHN STOCKTON, Jordan, Magic J., Larry Bird, etc. NBA Entertainment cameras followed around the team during the Olympics. According to the article I read, "John Stockton, camcorder on his shoulder, walking around Barcelona with his family and trying unsuccessfully to get fans to recognize him." NBAHD on my TV (DirecTV) is channel 216.

LongIslandZagFan
06-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Definitely going to watch it, but that doesn't sound like Stockton. He always seemed to shun the fame.

GoZags
06-13-2012, 07:21 AM
It is said that the best basketball ever played were intersquad games the week prior to the Barcelona Olympics -- when Team USA was in Monte Carlo. I was there for a few days during that timeframe -- and had a chance to run into the guys from time to time.

An interesting note (to me, anyway) was that Miami Heat owner (and CarnivalCorp Chairman) Micky Arison was in Barcelona with the family yacht Mylin IV during the '92 Olympics. He said the guys got tired of paella after about a day, and many came by Mylin for steaks and seafood. Stockton and his kids were there for lunch (hot dogs) every day.

It'll be interesting to see if the video matches what Micky had told me in late '92.

gozagswoohoo
06-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Wonder if we will get to see little David.

I will be watching this special for sure! Should be interesting.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Don't know if this has been discussed ... tonight (Wed.) on NBA TV at 6 p.m. Spokane time, documentary on U.S.A. Dream Team of 1992 Olympics includes JOHN STOCKTON, Jordan, Magic J., Larry Bird, etc. NBA Entertainment cameras followed around the team during the Olympics. According to the article I read, "John Stockton, camcorder on his shoulder, walking around Barcelona with his family and trying unsuccessfully to get fans to recognize him." NBAHD on my TV (DirecTV) is channel 216.

I heard that Stockton walked around with Charles Barkley for awhile among the fans in and around Barcelona. Fans kept mobbing Barkley for autographs, but failed to recognized Stockton even when the two were together. A few fans even asked Stockton to take pictures of them standing with Sir Charles, oblivious to the fact that the guy taking the picture was also a hall of fame basketball star.

GoZags
06-13-2012, 08:01 AM
I heard that Stockton walked around with Charles Barkley for awhile among the fans in and around Barcelona. Fans kept mobbing Barkley for autographs, but failed to recognized Stockton even when the two were together. A few fans even asked Stockton to take pictures of them standing with Sir Charles, oblivious to the fact that the guy taking the picture was also a hall of fame basketball star.

I believe that is true.

zagzealot
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
This 50 second video of Stockton walking around Barcellona is currently on YouTube. It is really funny and seems so out of character for Stockton.

On Monday I was watching the Jazz-Bulls 1997 playoff replay on the NBA Classic channel. What a great series that was. It inspired me to YouTube search Stockton and I found a wealth of videos that I highly recommend - like the Stockton Retrospective series of 6 videos, his retirement night in Salt Lake and his Hall of Fame speech (one of the best HOF speeches of all time, IMHO.) Watching these videos makes me really marvel in knowing that this guy is an every day Joe around Spokane and his roots are here in my hometown.

The day my son was born in June 1997 I told the doctor we needed to wrap this whole birth thing up by tip off of the Jazz Bulls game. And with 45 minutes to spare I got the job done. Our first moments with our son revolved around holding him and watching the game, 'talking' to him about how awesome this game is and how amazing Stockton is. My son starts GPrep in the fall and is hoping to play hoops...is fate at work here? :p

gamagin
06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
JS's father, throughout his career, it was made as clear as possible that JS LOVED his anonymity and prided himself on being as invisible as possible off the court.

For the most part, he still does. He is rarely quoted and rarely talks at any length with any but a very few close friends.

Jack and JS made one T.V. ad that I believe ran in SLC, but not positive. That was it. JS turned down literally multi millions of dollars by not doing advertising, like Barkley and Malone did for years and years.

So their visibility and media exposure and ads lit up the world while JS, by choice, would walk around, even spokane, with a baseball cap screwed on and sunglasses, in hopes of being left completely alone.

I post all this to suggest that the Barcelona lines in the tease leading up to this film are more designed to spoof JS's lack of recognition moreso than to indicate JS is or was trying to be recognized. That is counter to the way he acts in public, even today.

Otoh, he does have a great sense of humor and would thoroughly enjoy being the guy taking the picture and basking in the very public antics of Barkley than being the center of the same circle.

He has been that way, consistently, forever. And still is.

I think it's important to realize that had he wanted publicity, he could have gotten it and very likely earned more money than he ever made playing basketball -- just like Malone, Barkley and even Jordan did during their careers. He was told this many times. He said no. His privacy was THAT important to him, according to his dad.

jimmy b
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM

I was going to say it may have not been obvious in the summer of 1992 that he was a HOF player as for some reason thought his career peaked after 92.

But then I looked at the stats, he had basically just completed the prior 5 years averaging 16-17 points and 14 assists.

Even though I followed it closely, and am only 2 years younger, I lose track of those long ago years.

Anyway, he was certainly destined for the HOF in 92, just semi-anonymously.

Times have changed. Many Americans would recognize Ricky Rubio, even if he tried to keep a low profile. The Gasol's, Rudy Fernandez, etc. are also famous despite not being the best.

zagzealot
06-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I post all this to suggest that the Barcelona lines in the tease leading up to this film are more designed to spoof JS's lack of recognition moreso than to indicate JS is or was trying to be recognized. That is counter to the way he acts in public, even today.

Otoh, he does have a great sense of humor and would thoroughly enjoy being the guy taking the picture and basking in the very public antics of Barkley than being the center of the same circle.

Couldn't agree more and great post gamagin. I don't know if we'll see another quiet assassin like Stockton ever again.

I don't know if you were addressing my comment or not about his video being out of character - my intention was to say that making the video in the first place was out of character since he shuns the spotlight.

This link has some great commentary about his privacy:

http://ballerblogger.com/2009/09/11/stockton-hall-of-fame-day-links/

ZagNative
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Video of an anonymous John Stockton (http://youtu.be/6iBhNppSBeE)in Barcelona interviewing a tourist.

Lurknomore
06-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm just glad he didn't do a Skechers commercial.

SweetOnionZag
06-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Video of an anonymous John Stockton (http://youtu.be/6iBhNppSBeE)in Barcelona interviewing a tourist.

that's funny

zagco
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Which African nation was it that we played in an early or preliminary game, where Barkley like thunder-dunked and chest bumped and yelled at some wide-eyed guy who was on the losing end of like a 100-20 score or something? Barkley was our thug on that team.

Didn't Jordan and Pippin intentionally not allow Tony Kukoc to score, just because they knew the Bulls were trying to get him to sign?

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Which one of those little kids is now playing as Gonzaga's back up point guard?

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I was going to say it may have not been obvious in the summer of 1992 that he was a HOF player as for some reason thought his career peaked after 92.

But then I looked at the stats, he had basically just completed the prior 5 years averaging 16-17 points and 14 assists.

Even though I followed it closely, and am only 2 years younger, I lose track of those long ago years.

Anyway, he was certainly destined for the HOF in 92, just semi-anonymously.

Times have changed. Many Americans would recognize Ricky Rubio, even if he tried to keep a low profile. The Gasol's, Rudy Fernandez, etc. are also famous despite not being the best.

I started school at Gonzaga right after that Dream Team summer. By that time, it was apparent to most folks on campus that he was a likely hall-of-famer. He was already on the verge of becoming the NBA's all-time career assists leader and not terribly far from the career steals record. He hit both milestones before I graduated in 1996. He then continued to play at an all-star level for several more years and put the career assists record virtually out of reach for any future players.

ZagNative
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I love watching the great Stockton retrospective videos on Youtube, a good way to suck up a couple of hours. This is a good one (http://youtu.be/fBRDzrh3pCA), from the time of John's induction into the Hall of Fame.

That guy epitomizes the Zags for me. What a great player, what a fine man!

Robzagnut
06-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Listened to an interview yesterday with an SI writer whose book on the Dream Team is being released next month. A major part of the interview is how most (maybe all) of the team didn't want Isiah Thomas on the team, expect for Larry Bird who stayed out of all that stuff.

Chuck Daly was the coach and he could have insisted that 'his guy' be on the team, but it was implied that the other players didn't want Isiah, so applied pressure. Even when Stockton got hurt they were thinking of adding Joe Dumars instead, but decided to play one man short.

gamagin
06-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Listened to an interview yesterday with an SI writer whose book on the Dream Team is being released next month. A major part of the interview is how most (maybe all) of the team didn't want Isiah Thomas on the team, expect for Larry Bird who stayed out of all that stuff.

Chuck Daly was the coach and he could have insisted that 'his guy' be on the team, but it was implied that the other players didn't want Isiah, so applied pressure. Even when Stockton got hurt they were thinking of adding Joe Dumars instead, but decided to play one man short.

Isiah was selected by JS to introduce him to the HOF on induction day. It is tradition to have an existing HOF member introduce a new member, but the choice is up to the inductee.

Karl Malone and Jerry Sloan were inducted a year (or so) after JS and neither of them selected JS to introduce them, to the surprise of many. Malone chose Willis Reed and Sloan was accompanied by Charles Barkley.

Malone (godfather to one of JS's children) chose Reed because they were both grads from the same College and because, he said, Reed was "old school." Sloan was accompanied by Charles Barkley, for reasons that still seem strange to me.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-13-2012, 11:08 AM
A major part of the interview is how most (maybe all) of the team didn't want Isiah Thomas on the team, expect for Larry Bird who stayed out of all that stuff.

I once heard that USA Basketball declined to invite Thomas to the team because Jordan made it known that he would not play on the team if Thomas was on it.

ZagNative
06-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Reminder: Show is on now. I'm watching on Comcast #630 (HD)