PDA

View Full Version : WCC basketball is getting much more national attention

ZagsGoZags
06-12-2012, 09:28 PM
since at least Ammo's team and the elite 8 run in 1999.

remember what it felt like 3 to 9 years ago during the summer? Zags almost certain to win the championship or tournament or both. Just gearing the whole season to how far we might go in the Dance. The WCC was almost a lock.

Doesn't it feel different now? We thought we would do better last year, St. Mary's took us two out of three, BYU is probably stronger than last year. Now we are hoping to win the championship or tournament.

My questions are:

is it because Saint Mary's is for real and getting a national profile?
or
because BYU, including its own network has brought more national spotlight to our league?

Also is the tougher WCC helping our recruiting?

Is the tougher WCC making us a better team like many predicted (or, that is, would it have made any our past teams tougher)?

ridgebackzag
06-12-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm a total cynic, but it doesn't seem any different this year. We always schedule great OOC so BYU is just filling one of those games.

75Zag
06-13-2012, 05:18 AM
It helps me keep things in perspective to regularly visit Men's BB sites like Rivals, Scout and FoxSports. If you do that for a month or two I predict you will consider retracting your statement that the WCC is getting lots of national attention. While I am always happy to see GU or the WCC mentioned in one of their headline stories or blog posts, it does not happen very often. You see a note here or there, and of course the column writers that are friendly to Mark Few grind out a piece here and there, but I don't think we get much attention at all.

In order to regain the national spotlight - in my opinion anyway - GU needs to break through to the Elite 8 and the sooner the better. I think our days in the national spotlight as "the little engine that could" are over, probably killed by Butler, who really did get the job done for a couple years in a row.