The future is bright!:adored::000tens::clap:

former1dog
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
If correct, Welcome Mr. Coleman.

Who's Twitter?

Jakester425
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm

Gerard Coleman, who averaged 13 pts and 5 rebounds as a sophomore at Providence, will transfer to GU, sources said.

2:04 PM - 11 Jun 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Embed this Tweet

ID ZAGFAN
06-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit
Huge news for the future of the Gonzaga program....pretty exciting to think about Pangos, Bell and Coleman on the perimeter together

10m Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit
Big news out of @SRJimm , as it sounds like Gerard Coleman is Gonzaga bound!!!! Huge get

11m Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm
Gerard Coleman, who averaged 13 pts and 5 rebounds as a sophomore at Providence, will transfer to GU, sources said.

ZaGranny

NEC26
06-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Very nice! I'm a little surprised he would want to come out here when he is from the east coast but glad he did.

BobZag
06-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Two Thumbs Up.

I really wanted this guy. Well done.

sittingon50
06-11-2012, 01:24 PM
:clap:

Left Providence; considered X & GU. Tells me that the type of education/atmospere he was looking for was pretty important.

SweetOnionZag
06-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Great piece to the puzzle...........

former1dog
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
A gateway to East Coast recruiting for Gonzaga?

cjm720
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Awesome!!! Welcome to GU, Mr. Coleman!!!!

Salsageek
06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Woohoo!!!! Welcome to GU Mr. Coleman.

Kiddwell
06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Gets to redshirt and compete against Edi and Dranginis then play two years with the latter. (Coleman's expended his sophomore eligibility, yes?)

Nice news.

:]

DADoZAG
06-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Everybody wins on this one.

So, presuming Hart and Stockton are getting schollies, there's still one more available, right?

Is there time to fill it, BZ?

Go ZAGS!

Blitzing-Zag
06-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Very nice! Great get for GU!

RockandRollJames
06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Wow this is incredible. Huge get.

ZagaZags
06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Karnowski and Coleman did their due diligence visiting Cal and Xavier but it was always a Gonzaga slam dunk all along.

Kong-Kool-Aid
06-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Yay!

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-11-2012, 01:52 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3286/2333943088_f633021146.jpg

Who else wants some?

zagitarious
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
No s**t?

Does he defend?

Edit: X Board has a thread too....

http://musketeermadness.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12319&sid=a826388aec952b9ece5b8ab454fed364

SLOZag
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
"Gonzaga has landed Providence transfer Gerard Coleman, sources told CBSSports.com. The long and lanky 6-foot-4 sophomore averaged 13.2 points in 34 minutes per game last season for the Friars, but wanted to play elsewhere. Coleman also considered Xavier.

Coleman will give Mark Few and the 'Zags a perimeter player who should mesh well with Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr., Coleman needs to work on his outside shot, but he is adept at getting to the basket and finishing in transition. Coleman will sit out this season and have two years remaining."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19333216/gonzaga-lands-providence-transfer-gerard-coleman

hooter73
06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Awesome news!

ZAGGED OUT
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Coleman with 17 pts in a big time game vs cuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2mHj_aq-1c

SLOZag
06-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Coleman wears # 1 in the video.

TheZagPhish
06-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Who else wants some?

I'll have some!

http://f.cl.ly/items/33161J0W450U2A293113/elation.gif

DCZag
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I've been lurking forever wondering what was gonna happen with this. From the video, GC is athletic and really long for 6-4. A RS year to work on the shot and practice with the team is gonna make a huge difference. Really excited about this get for our team!

MickMick
06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Thrilled about this.

Meanwhile, as Coleman sits for a year, I anticipate Edie will play well. I never subscribed to the notion that wing was a weakness. It wasn't last year and it won't be for the foreseeable future.

I have several GU games recorded and have watched them multiple times. Edie a liability?
I'm not seeing it.

Coleman will fit in nicely. Great addition.

CDC84
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Guy has never been a liability, but GU's offense would be a much harder to defend if it had a guy at SF who could go for 25 against a team like Ohio State if Pangos or GBJ were bottled up defensively.

I would like to think Guy could do that with a full offseason to improve his skill set, but I haven't seen anything from him to convince me that he's capable of going off like that on offense. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

Again, I hope each and every day that I am proven wrong about this. It is true that he didn't get a proper offseason last year to improve his skill set, and there was the suspension to start the season....

Coleman has shown he can score at this level. With a redshirt year to straighten out his long range shot, and Pangos/GBJ at his side to deflect defensive attention (plus Dranginis and whoever else they add in 2013), GU will have a lethal set of perimeters in 2013/14.

Goshzagit
06-11-2012, 03:55 PM
From the video, GC is athletic and really long for 6-4.

I'd say...at a HS skills combine during his Senior season, Coleman was listed as 6'4", 170 lbs with a 6'9.5" wingspan :eek:!

MDABE80
06-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Amen to the above. 3 super kids. This is the best guard core in years. Cpleman must get his % up if he's going to be on par with Kevin and Gary Bell, jr. Glad we got Gerard. He's a big east kid from a terrific family. He'll fill the bill.

As for Guy, he'll be much better. He's dedicated to being better and he's doing the extra work it takes. Superior athlete. His shooting though...let's hope he's doing a Rotnei.

Well, all in all, outside on Lockett, we got the two we wanted. Karno and Gerard. Nice start. I wish we might have snagge Quewho went Pac 10 at WSU. I liked that kid. We'll be in excellent shape for the future. Absolutely happy with the two we got. Congrats to the staff.

former1dog
06-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Just curious as to why Coleman decided to leave Providence? It obviously wasn't over playing time.

NotoriousZ
06-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Who else wants some?

I'll take some and then three or four Pendleton doubles (rocks).

Angelo Roncalli
06-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Just curious as to why Coleman decided to leave Providence? It obviously wasn't over playing time.

Coaching change at Providence last season...

kitzbuel
06-11-2012, 04:56 PM
It had to help him knowing that with Pangos, GBJ, and Drain he does not have to be an outside shooter and can just let that come to him.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Nickname talk starts and ends with this: "The Cooler." Sure, it's a rip-off of ESPN Radio's Freddie Coleman, but it's too good to pass up.

former1dog
06-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Coaching change at Providence last season...

Ok. That's legit. Thanks.

MickMick
06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
It had to help him knowing that with Pangos, GBJ, and Drain he does not have to be an outside shooter and can just let that come to him.

The same can be said for Guy.

Folks calling on Guy to be a 20 point per game player, yet Coleman doesn't have to.

I don't get it.

If Pangos, GBJ, and Drain can allow "the game to come to Coleman", I argue that the "game can come to Guy" as well.

zag67
06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
MickMick, I agree completely. If guy plays super D, get some rebounds, can make a three some of the time, drive the lane, and pass the ball. We are good to go.

kitzbuel
06-11-2012, 06:21 PM
The same can be said for Guy.

Folks calling on Guy to be a 20 point per game player, yet Coleman doesn't have to.

I don't get it.

If Pangos, GBJ, and Drain can allow "the game to come to Coleman", I argue that the "game can come to Guy" as well.

Coleman won't have EH squeezing him for those rebounds and points from penetration.

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm afraid that people are having unrealistic expectations. People are calling him a "shooter"; he isn't, in fact, his shooting percentages are atrocious. Edi has a better fg% and is a better long distance shooter. Coleman, like Guy, is a slasher, which is great to have, but he is NOT a shooter. Here are their respective stats:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56800/guy-landry-edi

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51554/gerard-coleman

Let's welcome the guy, but please temper the expectations.

kitzbuel
06-11-2012, 06:31 PM
:confused:

Not sure anyone has called him a 'shooter'.

thebigsmoove
06-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Gerard just confirmed via his facebook account, no doubt about it...Gerard Coleman is a Zag!

Gerard a Zag! (http://www.zagaholic.com/2012/06/gerard-coleman-will-transfer-to-gonzaga.html)

thebigsmoove
06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Meehan just posted an article on Coleman via the Spokesman site...

Coleman Article (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/jun/11/coleman-transfering-gonzaga/)

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2012, 07:11 PM
:confused:

Not sure anyone has called him a 'shooter'.

You're right, I stand corrected. My bad. The term that was used was "perimeter player" which implies long distance shooting, but he isn't that at all. He's a 6'4 slasher and scorer. He's actually quite similar to Guy but shorter and not as good of a shooter, but a better finisher around the rim. It'll be interesting to see the battle for the starting sf spot between him and Kyle.

JPtheBeasta
06-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I'd say...at a HS skills combine during his Senior season, Coleman was listed as 6'4", 170 lbs with a 6'9.5" wingspan :eek:!

Yikes! Looking forward to seeing what he can do on defense and the boards. We are going to have scorers at every position so he could still be the 5th option when his redshirt is up. The near future for the Zags is bright, and perhaps the most talented team since the one that had Micah Downs coming in off the bench

SWZag
06-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Very good choice Gerard and Welcome to GU!

SWZag

MDABE80
06-11-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm afraid that people are having unrealistic expectations. People are calling him a "shooter"; he isn't, in fact, his shooting percentages are atrocious. Edi has a better fg% and is a better long distance shooter. Coleman, like Guy, is a slasher, which is great to have, but he is NOT a shooter. Here are their respective stats:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56800/guy-landry-edi

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51554/gerard-coleman

Let's welcome the guy, but please temper the expectations.

He has a full year to hone his shooting % skills including his FT's and 3 pt work.

WallaWallaZag
06-11-2012, 09:39 PM
He has a full year to hone his shooting % skills including his FT's and 3 pt work.

true, but some guys will never be great or even good shooters no matter how much time they put in (though some refuse to acknowledge this).

not saying coleman won't become a better shooter, but the warning sign for me is the complete lack of shooting percentage improvement from freshman year to sophomore year, though free throws got a bit better.

GoZags
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Didn't Coleman shoot .423 overall from the field last year?

Didn't Kevin Pangos shoot .431 overall from the field last year?

And some Zag fans are calling his shooting "atrocious"? and his percentage was .008 behind Pangos?

Wow.

Welcome to the GU family, Gerard. Very glad to have you here.

thebigsmoove
06-11-2012, 10:01 PM
true, but some guys will never be great or even good shooters no matter how much time they put in (though some refuse to acknowledge this).

not saying coleman won't become a better shooter, but the warning sign for me is the complete lack of shooting percentage improvement from freshman year to sophomore year, though free throws got a bit better.

For one he was in the Big East, much better conference than the WCC...much better perimeter defenders overall...also he was "The guy" offensively last year on a horrible team, as such he had to carry the team offensively at times...his shooting pct suffered as a result...finally he wont have to jack it up at GU, with Bell, Pangos, Dranginis, Monninghoff, etc. still around when he becomes eligible he will be able to do what he does best, ie drive the bucket and create his shot...His defense is 1st rate as well, if i was a betting man id say he will do more than enough to warrant starting at the 3 for both of his seasons in Spokane and will go down as one of the better transfers (Juco or D1) to come to the program since Dickau...

zagitarious
06-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I hope you're right my man ^^^

cggonzaga
06-11-2012, 10:06 PM
You're right, I stand corrected. My bad. The term that was used was "perimeter player" which implies long distance shooting, but he isn't that at all. He's a 6'4 slasher and scorer. He's actually quite similar to Guy but shorter and not as good of a shooter, but a better finisher around the rim. It'll be interesting to see the battle for the starting sf spot between him and Kyle.

I like Guy but he never will and never would average 13pts/gm in the Big East. Coleman actually has a very nice mid range game and his dribble drive is not even comparable with Guy. I'm not putting Edi down but Coleman is a much better player at this point in time. I'm hoping to see a much improved Guy Landry Edi this upcoming season but I can't wait to see Coleman in a Zags uni.

WallaWallaZag
06-11-2012, 10:31 PM
For one he was in the Big East, much better conference than the WCC...much better perimeter defenders overall...also he was "The guy" offensively last year on a horrible team, as such he had to carry the team offensively at times...his shooting pct suffered as a result...finally he wont have to jack it up at GU, with Bell, Pangos, Dranginis, Monninghoff, etc. still around when he becomes eligible he will be able to do what he does best, ie drive the bucket and create his shot...His defense is 1st rate as well, if i was a betting man id say he will do more than enough to warrant starting at the 3 for both of his seasons in Spokane and will go down as one of the better transfers (Juco or D1) to come to the program since Dickau...

i would expect better from you...while providence wasn't a very good team, they have some good young talent that can score. coleman was only the 4th leading scorer last year and definitely wasn't "the guy"...either vincent council (2nd team all big east) or their fast rising freshman henton was (big east all freshman team and on nba radars).

2wiceright
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
So, not only did he average 13.2 pts. and 5 rebounds as a sophmore in the Big East (with an incredible wing span), he shot .423 from the field and was 2nd on his team in steals, and 3rd in assists per Zagaholics link. From the clips he's an incredible finisher and a great creator (driving the lane) as well.

Sounds like after a year of learning the system and improving he's going to be a very welcome addition to whats shaping up to be a very talented 2013-14 team!

Welcome aboard Mr. Coleman!!! :cheers:

zagfan24
06-12-2012, 04:28 AM
I'm excited to have him in a Zags uniform. If he can push Hart, Edi, et al. in practice, the dividends will pay off immediately even during a redshirt year. Further, he'll be able to work on his game and even more importantly focus on folding into the Zags system over the course of the coming year -- while the Juco transfers have typically spent their first season of eligibility doing so. Great addition all the way around.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-12-2012, 04:43 AM
This is a great pickup. I'm stoked.

zag67
06-12-2012, 04:49 AM
I also say, welcome and great pick up. I cannot see saying much about his 3pt percentage, when he only shot 21 for the year. I think that it is better, if a player knows his limitations, uses the 3 if necessary to show that you are willing to use it, and then beating them with the drive or pull up shot. Now if he has shot 120 3s and his percentage was that low, then I would be more weary.

Also in looking at his game stats, he only shot more than 1 3 in 3 games. He was 2 -5, 2-4, and 0-2. That shows me he does recognize when to shoot the 3. And yes he will have a year to work on his shooting.

Zagcity
06-12-2012, 06:17 AM
The redshirt year for Gerard Coleman will result in huge gains in the weakest part of his game and fine tune those parts of his strengths. He will also get the system down. No different than Kelly Olyncyk and Kyle Dranginis (gaining confidence I believe will be his biggest) will prove this upcoming season. Its like reinvesting dividends in a down market that compounding will payoff in the up market 2013 looks great, but 2014 looks even better. :000tens:

Hogan
06-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the dose of reality Walla Walla ( and I'm also very excited for Mr. Coleman.)

titopoet
06-12-2012, 06:52 AM
I am glad he is coming. Though I can not, for the life of me, understand the Bile raining down of Guy. Especially since they won't be competing for minutes. Edi will graduate before Coleman is eligible. They are both very good players.

By the way, those who say that Guy could not ever have averaged double figures in the Big East. When Guy played in the World Championships in Turkey, he was a double figure scorer. Now the quality of players at Turkey were a lot and I mean a lot better than those on your average Big East team. (The tourney feature a bunch of NBA all stars and Euroleague all stars. If Guy was the focus of the offense, he could easily be a double digit scorer.

Both players will improve their shooting. One of Few's strength is teaching and improving a player's shot. Hopefully, he can help both of their shots.

hooter73
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Im really excited to have a layer that can truly and successfully go one on one again.

I do wonder when the Kyle Draginis playing time arguments will start:rolleyes:

75Zag
06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Fun to have a new player for GU, even if we have to wait a year to see him on the court. May the best 5 players carry GU to great things.

Go Bulldogs!

bigblahla
06-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Welcome to young Mr. Coleman I hope his GU experience is everything and more than he expected in a good way.

Go!! Zags!!!

Goshzagit
06-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Amazing how things catch fire/momentum and quickly get outta hand around here...

- We are blessed and very fortunate to have a player like Guy Landry on our team, let alone choose the Zags. He was being recruited by Missouri, Wichita St, Cinncinati, a couple other Big 12 schools, even Mich St showed late interest, yet he decided upon us.

- Guy missed most and/or was limited most of the pre-season practices in his first year. He was rehabbing and recovering from a torn meniscus until late January. He was playing on 1.5 legs for most of his time following his 8 game layoff. He was a beast in many road games, including the WCC Tourney and his first NCAA game.

- Guy isn't going to score 30 in a game, but if he did, our offense must have scored 130 vs Longwood or something was amiss, b/c with Elias, Dower, Pangos, Gary Bell, et al, I hope to heck he's not or something is most likely not working how it should...an efficient offense needs a 1, 2, 3 option and we have it in spades. Landry performs his role quite well, and I understand what CDC refers to vs team like a Final 4 team like Ohio St, but we barely lost and all our players, including GLE were in their 1st NCAA game and 1st season as Zags.

- Gerard Coleman is a different player than GLE altogether, albeit they play the same position on the floor. Coleman is longer and lightning fast to the rim and off the dribble, while Guy relies on his raw strength and hops to make his moves.

- Coleman isn't as bad of shooter as people make him out to be, nor is GLE. Both are very adequate and nearly automatic when wide open. Neither are gonna shoot 40+% from 3pt, but show me how many highly athletic SF's do? 43% FG overall while shooting 20% from 3pt is actually pretty darn good people. For instance, Gary Bell reached national acclaim by shooting 48% and Pangos was the WCC Newcomer of the Year and one of the Top-10 freshman b/c of his 43%(also shot 40% from 3pt which helped). Also, Coleman ONLY attempted 21 3pt shots last year...and 67% from FT is the same % Elias Harris shot from the line and better than Stockton's 59%, so...

- If you've ever seen Coleman, he has a pretty nice looking stroke from inside the 3pt. His body control is unmatched and his length and wiry elusiveness allow him to score at will when slashing or cutting to the hoop. Gonzaga does not have a player of this ability, save Dranginis, yet even he is not as fluid as Coleman. This guy is our future SF, no doubt. He will tear up other SF/CG's in the WCC, not many can guard him and he was considered one of THE BEST in the 2010 class in transition and cutting his way to the basket -- very underrated player since his HS days and just like GLE, very, VERY fortunate to have him. There aren't many, if any, schools who wouldn't want a wing like Coleman, yet he made his mind up early to attend a school with faith, work ethic, basketball-centric, and good academics when he chose Gonzaga or Xavier...

- Not sure if many realize that Florida(Donovan was chasing), Tennessee, every other SEC school, most ACC teams, etc all expressed interest in Gerard, but he wanted small, successful, family style hoops. Don't forget, he was an athletic wing in the Big East, where the best raw athletes play the game and are a dime o dozen, yet still managed to score 13.5 ppg, 5 rpg, and over 2 assists per game on a team with a poor backcourt -- most defenses keyed on stopping Coleman and he still slashed and dashed his way to the rim. Also, not sure if CDC has checked, yet Coleman scored 20 or more points on 5 different occasions last season...he's capable.

SLOZag
06-12-2012, 07:32 AM
"When Gerard Coleman announced that he would be transferring from Providence College, the sophomore guard appeared to be caught in a numbers game. Coleman was a good player at Providence but saw talented guards like Kris Dunn and Ricky Ledo on their way in and realized that his playing time might be cut into significantly. For that reason, he decided to leave PC for the opportunity to play elsewhere.

... Coleman, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard or small forward, reportedly chose Gonzaga over Xavier and Florida. ...

The caliber of schools involved with Coleman seems surprising in that Gonzaga, Florida and Xavier are all top programs in their respective conferences and nationally. Not that Coleman isn't a talented player, but if he is looking to land at a school where he knows he will receive more playing time, those 3 seem to be curious choices.

... While Ed Cooley would have liked to keep Coleman for depth purposes, he said that the guard told him that he wanted to transfer for personal reasons."

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/report-pcs-coleman-transfers-to-gonzaga/

SLOZag
06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
[Coleman's] "high school coach, Marcus O’Neil of the Tilton School in New Hampshire, told the Spokane Spokesman-Review that Coleman is “excited" about joining the Gonzaga program.

"We’ve been talking a lot,” O’Neil told the newspaper. “He felt like it was the right place for him. They’re all basketball and academics out there. It’s a serious environment where guys work hard, and he liked that.”

... The Friars spent both of his seasons mired near the bottom of the Big East, and the chance to play for a perennial winner was appealing to him given that his choices came down to the Zags and Musketeers. Coleman also faced increased competition for playing time with elite recruit Ricky Ledo joining the Friars this season.

... “He has extremely long arms and loves to play basketball. He’s in the gym all the time.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-06-12/gerard-coleman-leaves-providence-for-gonzaga#ixzz1xauymmdR

Goshzagit
06-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Coleman was a good player at Providence but saw talented guards like Kris Dunn and Ricky Ledo on their way in and realized that his playing time might be cut into significantly. For that reason, he decided to leave PC for the opportunity to play elsewhere.

fwiw, Providence featured a Top-10(even Top-5 by some) recruiting class for 2012, ranked by every publication and mostly guards and wings coming in...

For instance, 6'3" Kris Dunn is currently ranked the #1 PG in the Country and considered a 5*, Top-10 esque type of player.

Ricky Ledo is also a 5* star, 6'5" SG and currently ranked as the #2 player at his position and #6 ranked player overall.

Both were 'McDonald All-Americans'.

The writing was on the wall as each player are on NBA radars, especially Ledo who is expected to play SG/SF for the Friars next season.

Coleman would have still logged 20+ mins in the backcourt, but most likely lost his starting position. He can hang with anyone, including the players above from a skill, athletic, and balling standpoint, yet they are both elite-level shooters and that has been the only negative of Coleman's game, otherwise, Gerard is an elite type of player at the SG/SF position at this level.

ZAGGED OUT
06-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Amazing how things catch fire/momentum and quickly get outta hand around here...

- We are blessed and very fortunate to have a player like Guy Landry on our team, let alone choose the Zags. He was being recruited by Missouri, Wichita St, Cinncinati, a couple other Big 12 schools, even Mich St showed late interest, yet he decided upon us.

- Guy missed most and/or was limited most of the pre-season practices in his first year. He was rehabbing and recovering from a torn meniscus until late January. He was playing on 1.5 legs for most of his time following his 8 game layoff. He was a beast in many road games, including the WCC Tourney and his first NCAA game.

- Guy isn't going to score 30 in a game, but if he did, our offense must have scored 130 vs Longwood or something was amiss, b/c with Elias, Dower, Pangos, Gary Bell, et al, I hope to heck he's not or something is most likely not working how it should...an efficient offense needs a 1, 2, 3 option and we have it in spades. Landry performs his role quite well, and I understand what CDC refers to vs team like a Final 4 team like Ohio St, but we barely lost and all our players, including GLE were in their 1st NCAA game and 1st season as Zags.

- Gerard Coleman is a different player than GLE altogether, albeit they play the same position on the floor. Coleman is longer and lightning fast to the rim and off the dribble, while Guy relies on his raw strength and hops to make his moves.

- Coleman isn't as bad of shooter as people make him out to be, nor is GLE. Both are very adequate and nearly automatic when wide open. Neither are gonna shoot 40+% from 3pt, but show me how many highly athletic SF's do? 43% FG overall while shooting 20% from 3pt is actually pretty darn good people. For instance, Gary Bell reached national acclaim by shooting 48% and Pangos was the WCC Newcomer of the Year and one of the Top-10 freshman b/c of his 43%(also shot 40% from 3pt which helped). Also, Coleman ONLY attempted 21 3pt shots last year...and 67% from FT is the same % Elias Harris shot from the line and better than Stockton's 59%, so...

- If you've ever seen Coleman, he has a pretty nice looking stroke from inside the 3pt. His body control is unmatched and his length and wiry elusiveness allow him to score at will when slashing or cutting to the hoop. Gonzaga does not have a player of this ability, save Dranginis, yet even he is not as fluid as Coleman. This guy is our future SF, no doubt. He will tear up other SF/CG's in the WCC, not many can guard him and he was considered one of THE BEST in the 2010 class in transition and cutting his way to the basket -- very underrated player since his HS days and just like GLE, very, VERY fortunate to have him. There aren't many, if any, schools who wouldn't want a wing like Coleman, yet he made his mind up early to attend a school with faith, work ethic, basketball-centric, and good academics when he chose Gonzaga or Xavier...

- Not sure if many realize that Florida(Donovan was chasing), Tennessee, every other SEC school, most ACC teams, etc all expressed interest in Gerard, but he wanted small, successful, family style hoops. Don't forget, he was an athletic wing in the Big East, where the best raw athletes play the game and are a dime o dozen, yet still managed to score 13.5 ppg, 5 rpg, and over 2 assists per game on a team with a poor backcourt -- most defenses keyed on stopping Coleman and he still slashed and dashed his way to the rim. Also, not sure if CDC has checked, yet Coleman scored 20 or more points on 5 different occasions last season...he's capable.

The one thing I'll say about this post is that Edi shot 40% from 3 in HS and Juco if I'm not mistaken. You're right on his missed practices and nagging injuries and I think that's what caused the decline in %. When you have a nagging injury like that you might pick up deficiencies in your stroke to compensate. Like you said, different players definitely, I just think GU is yet to see the full GLE.

sittingon50
06-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Got 30 vs WVU & 15 vs ND.

CDC84
06-12-2012, 08:51 AM
fwiw, Providence featured a Top-10(even Top-5 by some) recruiting class for 2012, ranked by every publication and mostly guards and wings coming in...

For instance, 6'3" Kris Dunn is currently ranked the #1 PG in the Country and considered a 5*, Top-10 esque type of player.

Ricky Ledo is also a 5* star, 6'5" SG and currently ranked as the #2 player at his position and #6 ranked player overall.

Both were 'McDonald All-Americans'.

The writing was on the wall as each player are on NBA radars, especially Ledo who is expected to play SG/SF for the Friars next season.

Coleman would have still logged 20+ mins in the backcourt, but most likely lost his starting position. He can hang with anyone, including the players above from a skill, athletic, and balling standpoint, yet they are both elite-level shooters and that has been the only negative of Coleman's game, otherwise, Gerard is an elite type of player at the SG/SF position at this level.

It's also becoming apparent that Coleman was getting tired of losing. Providence was 30-34 his first two years. I think players are more willing to play a "diminished" role if their team has a chance to be a top 15 team and make a big postseason run. Even with the addition of Ledo and Dunn, it wouldn't shock anyone if Providence failed to make the NCAA tournament next season. The chance to play for a winner (Gonzaga) and to have a redshirt year to gain strength and work on his long distance shooting (his major weaknesses) had to have been really appealing.

awberke
06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
For one he was in the Big East, much better conference than the WCC...much better perimeter defenders overall...also he was "The guy" offensively last year on a horrible team, as such he had to carry the team offensively at times...his shooting pct suffered as a result...finally he wont have to jack it up at GU, with Bell, Pangos, Dranginis, Monninghoff, etc

That's a long sentence btw. Judging from his team's stats, he was not "the guy." He was "the fourth guy" as far as scoring is concerned.

I think the program and style of play has a significant impact on the success of the player. Supplanting a player in a completely new system won't necessarily lead to the exact same stats (for better or worse).

I'm excited to have him, welcome Gerard!

gamagin
06-12-2012, 09:53 AM
he and GLE should compliment & learn from each other in practice and coleman will grow into the system with a clear view and opportunity ahead of him.

I saw in one of the articles I read that he was also an excellent student looking for a serious academic resume as well. Win-win for both Mr. Coleman and our school.

I am sure a lot of student athletes and parents who follow the sport will remember this story and follow the progress of this decision and this young man from all these angles. I know I would as a parent.

webspinnre
06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
he and GLE should compliment & learn from each other in practice and coleman will grow into the system with a clear view and opportunity ahead of him.

GLE and Coleman at practice:

GLE: Hey there good-looking.
Coleman: You aren't too shabby yourself.
GLE: What long arms you have.
Coleman: What strong biceps you have.

:p

SLOZag
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
I saw in one of the articles I read that he was also an excellent student looking for a serious academic resume as well. Win-win for both Mr. Coleman and our school.

If that's so, with the added redshirt year GC might be able to pick up a master's degree while at GU. That would REALLY be a win-win.

Zag79
06-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Kid can flat out hoop, what a get by mark and the staff...

thespywhozaggedme
06-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I like Guy but, in my opinion, he never will and never would average 13pts/gm in the Big East, but again, we will never know, so it's pure speculation on my part. Coleman actually has a very nice mid range game and his dribble drive is not even comparable with Guy. I'm not putting Edi down but Coleman is a much better player at this point in time. I'm hoping to see a much improved Guy Landry Edi this upcoming season but I can't wait to see Coleman in a Zags uni.

Fixed it for you.

ZagsGoZags
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
he got freshman of the week honors twice in the Big East

came in as freshman #94 four star on scout, and #54 (espn)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player?id=57042&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2fplayer%3fid%3d57042

CDC84
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Gerard-Coleman-82083

zagitarious
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I also say, welcome and great pick up. I cannot see saying much about his 3pt percentage, when he only shot 21 for the year. I think that it is better, if a player knows his limitations, uses the 3 if necessary to show that you are willing to use it, and then beating them with the drive or pull up shot. Now if he has shot 120 3s and his percentage was that low, then I would be more weary.

Also in looking at his game stats, he only shot more than 1 3 in 3 games. He was 2 -5, 2-4, and 0-2. That shows me he does recognize when to shoot the 3. And yes he will have a year to work on his shooting.

+1

Solid Post.

cggonzaga
06-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Fixed it for you

Oh thanks Spy but it didn't need fixed.

I agree with you on many things just not this one. Unless Guy proves me wrong this season, Coleman is just a much better player. That is way more a compliment to Coleman than a put down of Edi. Again, I like Edi a lot.

WallaWallaZag
06-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Oh thanks Spy but it didn't need fixed.

I agree with you on many things just not this one. Unless Guy proves me wrong this season, Coleman is just a much better player. That is way more a compliment to Coleman than a put down of Edi. Again, I like Edi a lot.

it did need fixing...spy's whole point is that you wrote an opinion but stated it as a fact...an opinion is not a fact. while it may be true that coleman turns out to be the better player for the zags, that has yet to be decided.

cggonzaga
06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
It actually is fact because Guy will never play in the Big East. :)

MickMick
06-12-2012, 09:50 PM
It actually is fact because Guy will never play in the Big East. :)

Let's see.....

In recent games of utmost importance.

Beat down of St. Johns-----check
Beat down of West Virginia----check

Are you another in a long line of folks (thankfully not Zag players) that appears to "buy in" to the vastly superior level of play in the Big East? At least Charles Barkley can call it like he sees it. BYU found out that the WCC is not dominated by just showing up and Coleman isn't going to see conference opponents lay down for him either.

In, short, for me the Big East play by Coleman does not automatically place him in a category any higher than Guy. Guy played some World ball that included players every bit as good as those in the Big East.

Guy is bigger, taller, stronger, and every bit as athletic. Perhaps Coleman is more skilled but Guy is an animal.

Both players are good. I'll have to watch them finish their careers before I categorize one as being significantly better than the other. Coleman better be one tough dude to impress me more than Guy.

ZagFanInNC
06-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Unless Guy proves me wrong this season, Coleman is just a much better player. That is way more a compliment to Coleman than a put down of Edi. Again, I like Edi a lot.

This comparison is unnecessary IMO. Edi is going to give us one more good year (hopefully an excellent one), then Coleman will step into that spot nicely. Nobody is comparing Coleman to past 3 guards at GU so I don't see any point comparing him to Edi.

cggonzaga
06-12-2012, 11:51 PM
There is no question the Big East is better than the WCC. Just because Gonzaga beats Big East teams does not make the WCC its equal. It's also not like BYU came from some major conference either. So yes I am one of those sane people that believes the Big East is vastly better from top to bottom than the WCC. If you want to live in some fantasyland where the opposite is true then good luck to you and your imaginary world. When one of the worst teams in that conference brings in a top 10 recruiting class that should tell you a little about the strength of that conference.

Btw, my comparison of the 2 players has zilch to do with what conferences they play in and everything to do with what I've seen from both players.

ZagsObserver
06-13-2012, 05:42 AM
+1

There is no question the Big East is better than the WCC. Just because Gonzaga beats Big East teams does not make the WCC its equal. It's also not like BYU came from some major conference either. So yes I am one of those sane people that believes the Big East is vastly better from top to bottom than the WCC. If you want to live in some fantasyland where the opposite is true then good luck to you and your imaginary world. When one of the worst teams in that conference brings in a top 10 recruiting class that should tell you a little about the strength of that conference.

Btw, my comparison of the 2 players has zilch to do with what conferences they play in and everything to do with what I've seen from both players.

cjm720
06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Don't get the comparison, frankly. Different players, different styles. Both will help our team win and that's what's important.

I think GC is one of the highest ranked propsects, albeit via transfer, and he's a great get. Guy will only improve after last season. And they'll never compete for minutes.

GoZags
06-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Very disappointing to me that what should be a celebration and welcome thread (my opinion) -- about a huge get-- has turned into guys taking unwarranted shots at parts of Gerard's game -- and about a guy (no pun intended) that will never see the floor with Gerard, etc.

Congratulations to Gerard on making (my opinion) a great pick of schools and congratulations to the staff on landing Gerard.

johno
06-13-2012, 10:10 AM
This program is moving in the right direction. Good work coaching staff and welcome Mr. Coleman!

ZagNative
06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Slipper Still Fits has a nice post (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/6/13/3081842/the-impact-of-gerard-coleman) about Coleman's potential impact.

Kiddwell
06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Very disappointing to me that what should be a celebration and welcome thread (my opinion) -- about a huge get-- has turned into guys taking unwarranted shots at parts of Gerard's game -- and about a guy (no pun intended) that will never see the floor with Gerard, etc.

Congratulations to Gerard on making (my opinion) a great pick of schools and congratulations to the staff on landing Gerard.

Yes, GoZags, this has been a GREAT recruiting spring for the Zags:
(1) The Karnavore (who spurned the likes of Cal and Duke for us)
(2) Gerard Coleman (who was a 4-star, Top-60 high schooler)

Hooray! :000tens:

There's even frosting: Gerard's redshirt year in which he'll learn Few's system, gel with his teammates, and be an even better player for Gonzaga than he was for Providence. Not a bit of bad in all that good.

75Zag
06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes, GoZags, this has been a GREAT recruiting spring for the Zags:
(1) The Karnavore (who spurned the likes of Cal and Duke for us)
(2) Gerard Coleman (who was a 4-star, Top-60 high schooler)

Hooray! :000tens:

There's even frosting: Gerard's redshirt year in which he'll learn Few's system, gel with his teammates, and be an even better player for Gonzaga than he was for Providence. Not a bit of bad in all that good.

I agree with your statements, but we need a better name than Gerard. Gerard sounds like the captain of the Chess Club at Stuckup Academy for promising young men of distinction. How about G'Co, or The Coalman (carrying the heat).

Go Bulldogs!

zagitarious
06-16-2012, 12:48 PM

Edit: Nvm

ignore the bump.

bballbeachbum
06-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Who else wants some?

:cheers: It's June...why not chug a lug a little now?

Welcome to the party Gerard Coleman!