PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez: D-9 POY

Angelo Roncalli
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Another major honor for Marco:

DALLAS (June 8, 2012 http://www.gozags.com) Gonzaga University pitcher/first baseman Marco Gonzales has been named the District IX Player of the Year as selected by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers of America (NCBWA), marking the 13th-straight year the organization has bestowed the honor.

Joining Gonzales in the other districts were: District I: 1B Jeff Cammans (Rhode Island); District II: OF Travis Jankowski (Stony Brook); District III: C Mike Zunino (Florida); District IV: DH Daniel Kassouf (Appalachian State); District V: 1B Chris Serritella (Southern Illinois); District VI: SP Nick Petree (Missouri State); District VII: OF Raph Rhymes (LSU); District VIII: 1B Goose Kallunki (Utah Valley).

Gonzales, a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy and the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award, was named to the Louisville Slugger All-America third team after going 8-2 with a 1.55 ERA in 12 starts on the mound and hitting .325 with 29 RBIs, 10 doubles and two homers. He was named the West Coast Conference Pitcher of the Year after leading the league in ERA and finishing tied for second in wins. Gonzales became the third Gonzaga hurler to earn WCC Pitcher of the Year honors in the last four years and was named the 2011 Co-Freshman and Co-Player of the Year in the WCC. He struck out 92 hitters in 92 2/3 innings while walking 23 innings, helping the Bulldogs to a 34-22 record and a third-place finish in the WCC. Opponents hit only .201 against him and managed only 12 extra-base hits.

The District breakdown is as follows: District I-Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania; District II: Connecticut, West Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, District of Columbia; III: Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida; IV: Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland; V: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin; VI: Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota; VII: Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana; VIII: Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Montana; District IX: California, Oregon, Washington, Hawai'i, Arizona, Alaska.

sittingon50
06-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Impressive.

:clap: