PDA

View Full Version : College basketball now allows summer instruction

CDC84
06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Don't know if people are aware of the rule change that went in place recently:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-06-04/allowing-summer-instruction-is-win-win-for-college-basketball

Starting this summer—in fact, it’s happening now on some campuses—coaches will be allowed to work with players for two hours per week in the summers. There are varying academic requirements for the players participating, but the bottom line is that if they are to be on campus working with the coaches, most will be enrolled in summer school. This inevitably will improve graduation rates.

How the coaches use the time available to them will be an individual choice. Some worry about burning out their players, although that fear seems misplaced given that most serious players were attending camps or hiring personal trainers to get quality offseason workouts.

75Zag
06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I knew about the rule change. Seems like a reasonable idea.

Is it a "given" that GU BB players attend summer school and workout at GU if they are not playing for their national team? I have wondered where kids of middle and blue collar famlies get their spending money if they can't earn it by taking a summer job. When I was a kid in Central WA, several athletic stars of UW or WSU had summer jobs at the local fruit packing warehouses (which were by coincidence owned by alumni boosters of the various schools). The athletes snoozed in the air conditioned office and spent their time chatting up the younger female staff while earning 5X what the rest of us were paid. But seriously, are student athletes at the GU level unable to have part time jobs? How do they afford pizza and beer and video games?

ZAGGED OUT
06-07-2012, 01:14 PM

Is it a "given" that GU BB players attend summer school and workout at GU if they are not playing for their national team? I have wondered where kids of middle and blue collar famlies get their spending money if they can't earn it by taking a summer job. When I was a kid in Central WA, several athletic stars of UW or WSU had summer jobs at the local fruit packing warehouses (which were by coincidence owned by alumni boosters of the various schools). The athletes snoozed in the air conditioned office and spent their time chatting up the younger female staff while earning 5X what the rest of us were paid. But seriously, are student athletes at the GU level unable to have part time jobs? How do they afford pizza and beer and video games?

seems like some underlying tone here, no?

ZagNative
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
As far as I can tell, the only kids enrolled in the first summer school session at GU are Sam Dower and Guy Landry-Edi. I'll be curious to see who shows up for the second session, which starts July 2nd and runs to August 10.

rijman
06-09-2012, 05:51 PM

When you get a full ride to college some families are willing to provide financial assistance, especially since they aren't paying for college. I got a college scholarship, so my dad GU '58, bought me a car and I never wanted for pocket cash. If only GU had golf scholarships back then... My dad wanted me to go to GU and so did I, but we couldn't turn down multiple scholarship offers to go elsewhere.

ZagFanInNC
06-09-2012, 05:58 PM

What I don't understand is why athletes don't just get student loans like everybody else and use that for spending cash all year round? I think if I were playing BB at GU I would prefer that route to getting a job. Of course I would much rather my parents just give me money but that option isn't available for many people.

rijman
06-09-2012, 06:09 PM
What I don't understand is why athletes don't just get student loans like everybody else and use that for spending cash all year round? I think if I were playing BB at GU I would prefer that route to getting a job. Of course I would much rather my parents just give me money but that option isn't available for many people.
Some families may have college accounts, even if relatively small, from which to draw on. I'm also not sure if a student loan is possible when on a full ride. There's also the agents to provide pocket change, a system that's been in place for many years, dating back to at least the Charles Barkley college era.

Oregonzagnut
06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Good! Its about time they start to treat NCAA hoops like an actual form of freedom and a legitimate part of education! When they started assuming it was all about winning and money and getting guys into the NBA, that is when the NCAA lost part of its soul and that is when sports ceased to be a meaningful part of the education system.

The big three NCAA sports (football, basketball, baseball) has a choice to make. Is it education or business? I think the NCAA needs to move towards a "club" system that stay amateur but has nothing to do with collegiate eligibility.

I don't have all the answers but something just isn't right when kids can't play more than 4 years (5 w/ RS) and the NBA starts saying that they won't draft kids who don't go to college. But the Euro leagues treat their sports as probably as it should be, entertainment and business while maintaining amateur status AND completing their education also.