PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones/Golf

gu03alum
06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Phil Mickelson quits memorial over cellphone usage by fans (http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8013955/phil-mickelson-texted-pga-tour-commissioner-tim-finchem-fairway-memorial-cellphone-usage-being-hand)

The issue at Memorial was cellphones, which contributed to Phil Mickelson withdrawing after an opening round of 79. Mickelson, Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler mentioned the vast number of fans taking pictures with their phones, to the point players had to back off their shots.

I had some friends that went to the US Open last year and they were not allowed to bring in their phones into the Congressional Country Club. They were searched to make sure they didn't have their phones. To me that would be a deal breaker. I would not spend the whole day at any sporting event with no access to the outside world. It's not worth it in my opinion.

It appears that the PGA agrees:

Last year, the tour began allowing fans to bring phones to the tournament so long as photos weren't taken during competition. There are designated areas to make calls. That's not going to stop fans from taking pictures, and most annoying are the people who don't switch the phones to silent.

Ending the policy isn't an option. The tour is moving forward in the digital age with programs to enhance the gallery's experience. Plus, the increase in attendance has been tangible this year. Nowadays, if fans can't bring their phones, they're more likely not to come at all.

The solution is to add security or volunteers to the two or three marquee pairings, and to take away phones from fans caught taking pictures (giving them a claim check to retrieve the phone at the end of the day). That's what happened on Friday, and there were no big incidents the rest of the way.

I feel bad for Phil, but he needs to understand that he has no career in golf if there are no fans supporting his product. In my opinion, he needs to be a big boy and deal with it.

RenoZag
06-05-2012, 07:38 PM
The Masters doesn't allow cellphones on the grounds during the tournament either.

bartruff1
06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
The Masters doesn't allow cellphones on the grounds during the tournament either. I have never been to a tournament that did ???

Nor would I go to one that did, but I agree that it was a poor excuse to quit.

I suspect it was his score and the fact that he doesn't need the money.

gu03alum
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Kind of random, but I unexpectedly got tickets to go to the AT&T National today. I'm pretty excited as I've never been to a golf tournament before. It's at Congressional. Hopefully I can bring my phone in to the golf course.

cjm720
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Phil didn't cite the cell phones over the weekend. Weak excuse for poor play.

That said, it would bug me BUT the great thing about technology and cell phones is a mute button. Problem solved.

LongIslandZagFan
06-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Phil didn't cite the cell phones over the weekend. Weak excuse for poor play.

That said, it would bug me BUT the great thing about technology and cell phones is a mute button. Problem solved.

That is the problem... Jackwagons don't mute them. These are he same people whose phone start blaring in churches, school concerts, etc. They are crude idiots with no sense of social responsibility. Note, both my church and the schools ask for phones to be turned off or silenced... Yet it's an almost 100% guarantee that a cell I'll go off blaring some cheesy standard ringtone that the buffoons are too dumb to figure out how to change.

Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

Ok... Feel better now.

bartruff1
07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Kind of random, but I unexpectedly got tickets to go to the AT&T National today. I'm pretty excited as I've never been to a golf tournament before. It's at Congressional. Hopefully I can bring my phone in to the golf course. I don't think there have been many golfers EVER that could have hit that drive and 9 iron on 18 !!!!

gu03alum
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't think there have been many golfers EVER that could have hit that drive and 9 iron on 18 !!!!

No, I did not. I am very disappointed. I gave my tickets away because I have my CPA exam next Saturday and I needed the whole weekend to study. Did I mention how disappointed I am? I am so sick of studying for the CPA and not being able to do anything. I was told they give these tickets away every year at work so I will try again next year.