• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Alan Webb breaks US mile record

Alan Webb broke the 25 yeal old US mile record of Steve Scott by running 3:46.91.

WOW!

South Lakes graduate Alan Webb breaks the 25-year-old American record in the mile on Saturday in Belgium.
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Saw that former1. If he can stay healthy he's really setting himself up for the '08 Olympics.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

More than anything, 50, I'm impressed with how he's developed in terms of racing strategy. He has compiled a very impressive season and beaten some top guys because he out thought them and that had been a serious knock on Webb up until this year.

He now has all the tools to be a medal contender for a good long while.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

So how long has the current WR in the mile held up ?
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• former1dog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
          So how long has the current WR in the mile held up ?
          3:43.13 Hicham El Guerrouj Roma 07 07 1999

That's going to be a real tough one for someone to knock off. No one has been close in years.

Comment

• brasszag
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

It's great to see US distance running start to take an uptick again. For too long the world class US runners been a sprinter-only thing. It's time we had someone try to pick up the mantle of Pre...

Former1 - as an aside, did you ever get a chance to compete on the track at Hayward?
            There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is what is best about being a Zag.

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by brasszag View Post
              Former1 - as an aside, did you ever get a chance to compete on the track at Hayward?
              Sorry, Brass. Brain camp.

I never got the chance to run at Hayward.

Attending the Pre Classic there, though, circa 1992... Watched Todd Williams, one of my contemporary hero's run at that one.

Comment

• brasszag
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

Cool - Growing up in Eugene, you can't escape from the legacy of Pre and his kind of overwhelming legacy as a distance runner. It's really sort of intimidating.

Hayward's an amazing place, isn't it? There's really no place else in the US where you can so consistently see the world's best in track and field. I really didn't take advantage of it nearly enough when I was there.
                There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Comment

• lothar98zag
                  PostPadder General
                  • Feb 2007

For a few minutes, I thought you 2 were talking about Hayward, CA...

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• brasszag
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

When talking track - there's only Hayward Field.

If I recall it's the track where more world records have been set than any other track in the world...

Comment

• former1dog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by brasszag View Post
                      When talking track - there's only Hayward Field.

If I recall it's the track where more world records have been set than any other track in the world...
                      Brass,

It is cool that you have a stong interest and knowledge of track and field (and more importantly to me, distance running ).

Forgive me if you've told me in the past, but do you have a background that includes competitive distance running?

Comment

• brasszag
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2007

I was never very good at it - I was in Cross-Country in high school - as a way to stay in shape for Track season... my best race was the 200, as I didn't have quite the explosive start needed for the 100, but my asthma made the 400 a rough go due to not being able to get enough O2 beforehand to stay in an anaerobic state for the entire run.

Right now, with the asthma and the busted up knees and ankles there's no way I'd be able to run for any significant amounts.

My distance running history knowledge is spotty, but in Eugene, you can't escape absorbing some of it- it's in the air.

Comment

• former1dog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Eugene must have been tough for the Asthma as well?

Anyhoo, very cool that you picked up on a lotta stuff most folks have no clue about.

Obviously, I'm a track junkie so I get a kick out of someone knowing some of the history.

Like most (former)distance runners, I am a Pre fan and admired his approach immensely.

Comment

• brasszag
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Feb 2007

Yeah - my high school was right on the Willamette with all the dogwood fluff in the air from the trees along the river. You couldn't help but inhale chunks.

The weather though is nice 3/4 of the year for running - cool to warm, and often with a little mist in the air.

Comment

• former1dog
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

By the way, Brass, you probably knew this, but they are doing a renovation of Hayward in honor of the Olympic Trials, which are being held there next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X