PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead: WCC/BYU

zagitup
06-03-2012, 11:29 AM
An interesting interview with WCC commish Jamie Zaninovich regarding the future of the WCC and BYU's place in said future:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765580309/BYU-sports-Two-years-later-WCC-happy-with-partnership-with-Cougars.html

You've got to like Jamie. I especially appreciate the high-minded, gracious comments he makes about what could become a contentious issue in the minds of many (should BYU decide to leave).

The comments section after the story becomes the typical (and laughable) battleground between Coug and Ute fans. :D

Mods, feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place...

NorCalCoug
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Gotta love Zaninovich. I don't think you folks understand how great of a commish he is. Trust me, he's a huge upgrade for BYU from the MWC's Craig "The Hair" Thompson. I love his frank nature and honesty. My opinion is that BYU and the WCC will be partners for a long time and I am perfectly happy with that. The PAC12 is NEVER happening for BYU. The BigXII is looking more and more like a non-option as well. Even IF (have my doubts here) BYU made a move to the BigEast I have to think it would be a football only move along with the other western schools.

I'm also glad that Zaninovich and the WCC are taking full advantage of what BYU can offer via BYUTV. The channel has more than exceeded my expectations in Year 1 of sports broadcasting. Quality product IMO that will only get better in the future.

DADoZAG
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm also glad that Zaninovich and the WCC are taking full advantage of what BYU can offer via BYUTV. The channel has more than exceeded my expectations in Year 1 of sports broadcasting. Quality product IMO that will only get better in the future.

Not that ZAG fans have much room to talk, or that I have many data points to draw from, but the few games I watched on BYU TV the announcers were homers. Not good if the station is representing the WCC as a whole.

Like I said, ZAGS have little room to talk. I feel for anyone supporting the opposition when the game is televised on KHQ or ROOT TV. Actually, I feel for us all when the game is televised on KHQ or ROOT TV, although the big sexy is an improvement. Loved it when DD was on board.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Not that ZAG fans have much room to talk, or that I have many data points to draw from, but the few games I watched on BYU TV the announcers were homers. Not good if the station is representing the WCC as a whole.

Like I said, ZAGS have little room to talk. I feel for anyone supporting the opposition when the game is televised on KHQ or ROOT TV. Actually, I feel for us all when the game is televised on KHQ or ROOT TV, although the big sexy is an improvement. Loved it when DD was on board.

Go ZAGS!

Hudson has become the best radio guy in Eastern Washington and Santangelo is good, but TV's Heister absolutely must be muted.

U Zig, I Zag
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
During the other (read: non-ESPN games) during the WCC tourney, both men and women, I found the BYUtv folks to be knowledgeable and professional. I thought they did a good job.

NorCalCoug
06-05-2012, 07:52 AM
During the other (read: non-ESPN games) during the WCC tourney, both men and women, I found the BYUtv folks to be knowledgeable and professional. I thought they did a good job.

I agree with you - and this is more the type of feedback I've seen from other fanbases who follow teams aired on BYUTV. They definitely do their homework on the teams being broadcast. These folks are BYU guys so I would never suggest that their fandom doesn't shine through on occasion. It is BYUTV afterall..... :)

Nevada Don
06-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Gonzaga and BYU fans are so fortunate in having TV access to their games and it's obviously a reflection on the strength of their basketball programs. Many other WCC fans struggle to see their team televised. For SMC as an example, some of their games are picked up by Comcast (Comcast Bay Area and Comcast California) which is good if you are in the immediate Bay Area but oftentimes these games are not picked up in outlining areas. Luckily we have the the contract with ESPN which helps.

Drew
06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
I miss Bobby Knight.

SageOfZagville
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/8001443/the-nation-top-basketball-recruit-jabari-parker-chicago-less-media-exposure