PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Parker - if he goes to BYU ...

ZagsGoZags
05-31-2012, 09:41 AM
life will be much more difficult for us to take the conference championship and tournament

he is on the cover of Sports Illustrated, and compared to LeBron James in high school

he is devout LDS

I don't know if he will choose BYU, or if he will not do his 2 yr mission

but for selfish reasons I hope he goes to North Carolina or some other BCE program, not BYU

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/7964581/jabari-parker-no-1-espn-100-rare-recruit

ZAGGED OUT
05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Has there ever been any mention of him considering BYU? Or are we just assuming it's a possibility since he is a Mormon? Just curious

Angelo Roncalli
05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Has there ever been any mention of him considering BYU? Or are we just assuming it's a possibility since he is a Mormon? Just curious

He's seriously considering BYU and has expressed his admiration for coach Rose.

ZAGGED OUT
05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
He's seriously considering BYU and has expressed his admiration for coach Rose.

Good to know, all the articles I had read (not that many to be fair) didn't mention BYU so I wasn't sure. He would be a great get for the conference though. Not only will he push our players but the exposure the WCC would get would lead to more recruits considering WCC teams imo

BobZag
05-31-2012, 09:57 AM
If he goes to BYU, it puts the Cougars squarely in the drivers seat to win the WCC.

ZagsGoZags
05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
it would be like a Jimmer plus
it would put WCC on the national radar like it did with Jimmer
and Adam Morrison too, for that matter
good for the conference
and give us a real challenge

ldszagfan
05-31-2012, 10:30 AM
They would be very difficult to beat. They would also have another ESPN100 recruit coming in that season as well (Nick Emery... Jackson Emery's younger brother).

madness
05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Interesting, is Nick predicted to be the same type of players as his brother? Jackson was an incredible defender.

ZAGGED OUT
05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Nick is the #50 prospect in his class or close to it. Couldn't tell his defense on highlights but he appears to be a pretty lights out shooter

WyoZag
05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
He's receptive, but it seems to be a longshot at best.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/53948267-65/byu-parker-basketball-news.html.csp

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/53838859-65/byu-parker-jabari-basketball.html.csp

LongIslandZagFan
05-31-2012, 12:04 PM
He's receptive, but it seems to be a longshot at best.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/53948267-65/byu-parker-basketball-news.html.csp

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/53838859-65/byu-parker-jabari-basketball.html.csp

How in the world is UW listed as a higher profile program?

MDABE80
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Sounds ike he'll be an NBA kid no matter where he goes. Superior student, great religious kid. Not many like him around. LIZ...not sure why UW is mentioned in the same company as the others. Surely they haven't earned it. Now if the substituted Gonzaga, it would be credible. In the CBB world GU is eons ahead of UW in respect.

Ebay
05-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I read somewhere that an NBA scout said he would be a lottery pick in the draft this year if he could declare 2 years early and could be an NBA starter right away.

Imagine reading that as a high school junior...

Schmitty
05-31-2012, 12:29 PM
If he choose BYU it would be great for the WCC (and Gonzaga). Talk about exposure for the conference!

cjm720
05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
How in the world is UW listed as a higher profile program?

Because Romar can recruit high profile kids.

We tend to discount UW's program because of our success vs. them, but Romar's done quite well overall.

jbslicer
05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Gonna agree with cjm720.

MDABE80
05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
And that's the reason Romar won't play the Zags. We win and it's bad for recruiting .

cjm720
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
And that's the reason Romar won't play the Zags. We win and it's bad for recruiting .

That's certainly my take!

cggonzaga
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM

Why? We've only got 2 high profile kids out of Seattle in the past 20 years including the years we were wiping the floor with them. UW can just simply recruit nationally in all sports because its an elite university in a major city. When they've had decent coaches, recruiting hasn't been a problem. We all know Romar is an elite recruiter even though he can't coach worth a lick.

WallaWallaZag
05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Why? We've only got 2 high profile kids out of Seattle in the past 20 years including the years we were wiping the floor with them. UW can just simply recruit nationally in all sports because its an elite university in a major city. When they've had decent coaches, recruiting hasn't been a problem. We all know Romar is an elite recruiter even though he can't coach worth a lick.

agreed...really doubt uw not playing gonzaga has much to do with recruiting, and elite recruits will continue to consider uw as long as uw continues to send kids to the nba and makes some noise in the tournament every once in a while.

MDABE80
05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Yes I'm sure. If Romar gets his team mugged in public and on TV for all to see but only occasionally sees the NCAA while GU is the one team that consistently beats UW but ALWAYS sees the NCAA............it just doesn't look good.
And no...it's alot more than two...who are the two "high proifle" recruits? But, that's the point. He's protecting his recuiiting options which he would lose if he's only once in a while in the NCAA and loses to that lil problem school in SPokane.

It's a big deal. We won't solve it here...that's for sure. Veering back to the topic though. I'd love to have this kid in the WCC.

dawgfather11
05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
I doubt he's giving BYU anything other than lip service. UW will be in it until the end because Romar played professionally with Parkers dad and they are still close friends, that being said I believe he is MSU's to lose. Can't do much better than playing under Tom Izzo in my opinion.

MDABE80
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Well said DF. He'll land somewhere and make somebody happy. I wish it was the Zags. Superior talent. We all wish him well..

Coach Crazy
05-31-2012, 09:54 PM
He won't go to BYU. He's a BCS kid. There are a lot of us LDS out there that are active in the Church, served missions, and can't stand BYU and/or don't look at them as a program worth playing for.

Whoever mentioned him (Jabari) merely giving props to BYU as lip service was dead on. He is a good kid, a respectful kid...but he doesn't regard BYU as anything more than an obligatory face in the room.

ZagaZags
06-01-2012, 02:18 AM
UW has Jabari Parkers older brother going to UW to be an intern coach next season. This is a move like what UCLA did bringing in Tony Parkers AAU coach/trainer.

MickMick
06-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Parker Shmarker.

Bring on the world.

Zags are ready....including their wings. This is the year.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-01-2012, 05:48 AM
I'd love to see him at BYU. It would probably elevate the Cougars back to the Top-15 for as long as he's there and elevate the entire league's profile for RPI and overall exposure.

bigblahla
06-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Parker Shmarker.

Bring on the world.

This ++++++++1,000,000.

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
06-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Question for Coach Crazy: I don't follow the LDS kids at other schools but you bring up an interesting point (to me anyway). Come NCAA time are you aware of any individual kids that have refused to play on Sunday's?

Thanks.

jazzdelmar
06-01-2012, 07:01 AM
BFD. Zags have 3 players who will be nationally ranked at their positions and a center who may end up higher than all of them. Zags are fine. Besides, BYU may be in another conference by the time Parker arrives, if he does. Second, he will be a one and done.

ldszagfan
06-01-2012, 07:10 AM
I don't follow the LDS kids at other schools but you bring up an interesting point (to me anyway). Come NCAA time are you aware of any individual kids that have refused to play on Sunday's?

I can't think of any. But the backup point guard for UNC (Stilman White) is Mormon and he played on Sunday with his team. Not saying that he is what all Mormons would do in his same situation, but I haven't heard any not playing during the tournament.

(link about Stileman White - http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2012/04/different_dreams_1_mission_for_unc039s_stilman_whi te)

MDABE80
06-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Parker Shmarker.

Bring on the world.

Well here it is! Mick threw it out there. I happen to think MIck's right. This year and next! Go Zags!!

:cheers:

810Suited
06-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Parker is not seriously considering going to BYU. He may say a lot of positive things about the program etc. but he/his family has no serious interest in going there.

Gin N GUice
06-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Parker is not seriously considering going to BYU. He may say a lot of positive things about the program etc. but he/his family has no serious interest in going there.

Do you know him? Do you call him at home!

810Suited
06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Do you know him? Do you call him at home!

i do not call him but yes i know the family personally

Bogozags
06-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Because Romar can recruit high profile kids.

We tend to discount UW's program because of our success vs. them, but Romar's done quite well overall.

Romar sure does get more than a fair share of high dollar recruits and does less with more!!!!

He reminds me of a GREAT coach who IMO had the same issue...DEAN SMITH. He had soooo many great players and should of won several more championships but I believe he was out coached many times in the Tournament. With all the talent he had, he should of been right behind Mr. Wooden in Tourney Championships. He is #3 on the wins list and an extremely class act! Last I heard he is battling dementia.

Of course, not trying to equate Romar to SMITH but they had the same issue of not being able to win with talent.

zagitup
06-01-2012, 01:00 PM
He won't go to BYU. He's a BCS kid. There are a lot of us LDS out there that are active in the Church, served missions, and can't stand BYU and/or don't look at them as a program worth playing for.

Whoever mentioned him (Jabari) merely giving props to BYU as lip service was dead on. He is a good kid, a respectful kid...but he doesn't regard BYU as anything more than an obligatory face in the room.

Geez Coach, how about we give you a chance for a "do-over" on this one?

Not sure what where the root of the hostility you show for BYU comes from (it's been obvious from some of your posts of the past), but I think most on this board have now seen first hand the quality program Coach Rose has put together over there. He's a class act. I also believe Mark Few would concur, given that they work closely together with Coaches vs Cancer....

A program not worth playing for? I respectfully disagree.

U Zig, I Zag
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Well, in Coach's defense:
Good school, prominent in many fields.
Located in dynamic city known the world over.
Produces NBA players.
Emphasizes athleticism and plays it's players based on that, regardless of age/class.

That pretty much describes UW and I sure as hell hope none of you think of the them as a program worth playing for. ;)

Coach Crazy
06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Question for Coach Crazy: I don't follow the LDS kids at other schools but you bring up an interesting point (to me anyway). Come NCAA time are you aware of any individual kids that have refused to play on Sunday's?

Thanks.

I am not aware of that statistic. However, me personally, I would not play on Sunday.

Coach Crazy
06-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Not sure what where the root of the hostility you show for BYU comes from (it's been obvious from some of your posts of the past), but I think most on this board have now seen first hand the quality program Coach Rose has put together over there. He's a class act. I also believe Mark Few would concur, given that they work closely together with Coaches vs Cancer....

You can have a coach who is a class act, but having a "Mr. Rogers" quality about your program doesn't matter. Rose is a good coach, but there are a ton of "good coaches" across the landscape of college basketball.

Have you ever been to BYU? I used to work there. Have you ever seen their facilities? No? Yeah, they have an IPF (indoor practice facility), but that is for a little rugby, a little soccer, and mainly football. There isn't a lot of benefit to go to BYU unless you grew up as a die hard fan, or they have a program that fits into your educational goals. Obviously being around a ton of Mormons can be a positive, but even being LDS...that isn't always a positive. I like the spirit of the campus, but that only stays if I don't talk to a ton of people ;)

If you were around BYU's fans, you would understand my disdain. If you are looking for a fan base that understands so little about sports, but purports themselves to be the cream of the crop, look no further than the Zoobie crew . I grew up partly in Spokane from '92-'99 (Go Highlanders) and just never liked the Utah culture. It was either UW or Gonzaga for me. Life took me in a different direction.

And no, I don't need a chance to "do-over", you may not like my strong opinion, but I have one, and I have had quite some time to formulate this specific one.

jpwils
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Not saying Parker will go there but it would probably help our strength of schedule if he did. Can one player beat five??

Heck no but it could be very interesting for one year. He's goin pro after one year, fellas.

MDABE80
06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
BFD. Zags have 3 players who will be nationally ranked at their positions and a center who may end up higher than all of them. Zags are fine. Besides, BYU may be in another conference by the time Parker arrives, if he does. Second, he will be a one and done.

This. Majorly this!

jazzdelmar
06-01-2012, 03:44 PM
This. Majorly this!

as opposed to "generally this?"

Angelo Roncalli
06-01-2012, 03:50 PM
You can have a coach who is a class act, but having a "Mr. Rogers" quality about your program doesn't matter. Rose is a good coach, but there are a ton of "good coaches" across the landscape of college basketball.

Have you ever been to BYU? I used to work there. Have you ever seen their facilities? No? Yeah, they have an IPF (indoor practice facility), but that is for a little rugby, a little soccer, and mainly football. There isn't a lot of benefit to go to BYU unless you grew up as a die hard fan, or they have a program that fits into your educational goals. Obviously being around a ton of Mormons can be a positive, but even being LDS...that isn't always a positive. I like the spirit of the campus, but that only stays if I don't talk to a ton of people ;)

If you were around BYU's fans, you would understand my disdain. If you are looking for a fan base that understands so little about sports, but purports themselves to be the cream of the crop, look no further than the Zoobie crew . I grew up partly in Spokane from '92-'99 (Go Highlanders) and just never liked the Utah culture. It was either UW or Gonzaga for me. Life took me in a different direction.

And no, I don't need a chance to "do-over", you may not like my strong opinion, but I have one, and I have had quite some time to formulate this specific one.

I get where Coach is coming from. Of the people I know that have expressed dislike for BYU, the one that has the most enmity is a Mormon bishop. He went to Utah State and adores Stu Morrill. Some of the most dedicated Notre Dame h8ers are Catholics...

zagitup
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM

I guess I'm still confused...

So the reason BYU is "not a program worth playing for" is because of its poor sports facilities? Gosh, the Zags play half of our conference games in glorified high school gyms that are virtual saunas come game night. I can't imagine their practice facilities are much better. Or is it because of an obnoxious fan base? Several schools in the WCC can drape that label around their necks too (see SF Dons). :p There must be more to the story here, Coach. What is it? What makes this PROGRAM one that is not worth playing for? Please elaborate.

For what it's worth, I also think it highly unlikely that Parker will come to BYU as well... too many other highly attractive options out there. But the fact that he's even considering BYU (and yes, do know he is an LDS kid) is proof that Jabari considers the Dave Rose's program to be legit.

BTW. I think it would be a hoot to hear Rose singing, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..." :roll:

Coach Crazy
06-01-2012, 07:32 PM
I get where Coach is coming from. Of the people I know that have expressed dislike for BYU, the one that has the most enmity is a Mormon bishop. He went to Utah State and adores Stu Morrill. Some of the most dedicated Notre Dame h8ers are Catholics...

Yeah, I mean, look, not everyone here in Provo embodies what I dislike about BYU fans. I am in a ward setting with just about all BYU students.

Anyway, I tend to get a tad bit aggressive in certain discussions, you could say that tact is something I could stand to gain haha. Hopefully, no hard feelings folks.

Coach Crazy
06-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I guess I'm still confused...

So the reason BYU is "not a program worth playing for" is because of its poor sports facilities? Gosh, the Zags play half of our conference games in glorified high school gyms that are virtual saunas come game night. I can't imagine their practice facilities are much better. Or is it because of an obnoxious fan base? Several schools in the WCC can drape that label around their necks too (see SF Dons). :p There must be more to the story here, Coach. What is it? What makes this PROGRAM one that is not worth playing for? Please elaborate.

For what it's worth, I also think it highly unlikely that Parker will come to BYU as well... too many other highly attractive options out there. But the fact that he's even considering BYU (and yes, do know he is an LDS kid) is proof that Jabari considers the Dave Rose's program to be legit.

BTW. I think it would be a hoot to hear Rose singing, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..." :roll:

One, I don't think Dave Rose is anything more than an average coach. That is the first point. Don't fall in love with hyperbole. Second, it doesn't have the BCS feel to it. The atmosphere, the facilities, the town...it's very Vanilla, and you really have to learn to live here. Even for those of us that have grown up in the Church.

The only reason Jackson's bro is going to come to BYU is because all the hometown factors added up. He probably got to be around Jimmer, grew up in the shadow of the Y, and well, watched his brother play a ton there. Not to mention the fact that BYU benefited from being so close that recruitment costs were undoubtedly almost non-existent.

Jabari wants to play in the NBA, and before that he is going to want to be at a BCS school. Him being Mormon shouldn't automatically mean that we connect the dots to BYU. Sadly, it will continue to happen. There are more successful LDS professional athletes (both active and inactive) that went to schools other than BYU.

If that isn't enough for you...well, I guess you would have to be Mormon to understand what I see in this circumstance. Unless you are a BYU fan, those living outside of Utah that are LDS don't look at BYU as a big time program, more as a pretender.

MDABE80
06-01-2012, 09:36 PM

El Supremo post!:D

DADoZAG
06-02-2012, 10:29 AM
This. Majorly this!

El Supremo post!:D

My lowly opinion is that Jazz is always trying put you down, Abe. Out of respect, I would have suggested it was “privately this”.

Go ZAGS!

Saxon_zag
06-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks.

If there's anything god cares about it's basketball and what day of the week it's being played on

NorCalCoug
06-04-2012, 02:47 PM

In my limited posting and reading on this board he sure comes across as bitter to me. Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

Regarding Jabari, the vast majority of BYU fans don't think BYU is really in the running. Are many hopeful? Absolutely (who wouldn't be?), but very very few seriously think he's going to be a Cougar.