PDA

View Full Version : U.S. vs. Serbia U-19 Final

azzagfan
07-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Matt and the US are about to play Serbia in the Finals, you can watch it here (http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fiba/u19men/fanZone/vide/p/openNodeIDs/5977/selNodeID/5977/live.html).

azzagfan
07-22-2007, 08:37 AM
We look terrible to start. They're running their stuff and we're jacking up shots and going 1-on-1.

ZagNut08
07-22-2007, 08:57 AM
quick turnover by matt and he is yanked

azzagfan
07-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Bouldin in 10 secs. in 2nd quarter makes a bad pass and is yanked. He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself.

ZagNut08
07-22-2007, 09:06 AM
USA down 17 with 4 left in the half...they are not working the ball on offense, and serbia is hot from outside

I love the un-edited mike in the USA huddle, a couple f bombs some bs's being dropped in the recent huddle

Nevtelen
07-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Wow. The US is looking BAD. It seems like they're just jacking up threes without even trying much for anything else. Little ball movement... almost all 1-on-1 stuff. Serbia is shooting 42% from 3. Ouch.

Nevtelen
07-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Looking MUCH better to start the second half. We're actually passing, which helps.

CDC84
07-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Serbia beat USA 74-69.

What's curious to me is how they call this the final (aka championship) game, despite the fact that Team USA beat Serbia earlier and was the only team in the whole field to be undefeated going into the last game. You would think that the two teams would face off again tomorrow to determine a real champion, but that's not how FIBA works.

I think Matt probably wants to get back home in the worst way.

TM27
07-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I wonder what Matt's thoughts on his experience are?

I am surprised by the lack of playing time and the short leash that Wainwright implemented....especially since it appeared that a selfless leader to keep the ball moving was exactly what this team of ego's needed.

I have read on here that Matt's defense was suspect throughout...however, today I saw some 30+ minute guys dogging it on that side of the ball.

However, I only watched todays game and read the box scores for the rest. Someone that was paying closer attention to this tourney - help me to understand the lack of playing time.

dim4sum
07-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Serbia had great height, great discipline and a home court advantage. I don't think anyone can begrudge their victory. The US was simply too selfish. No one wanted to work the ball inside. Matt could have done that, given the opportunity, but it wasn't meant to be, because he was in Wainwright's dog house for at least five or six games. Maybe when he gets back he can watch some videos of Brandon Roy in action, a guy who can do all the good things Matt can do and better--and without fouling. I don't believe Roy ever fouled out.

Angelo Roncalli
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Brandon Roy fouled out of the last game he played against GU.

ZaggyStardust
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
He also fouled out in a game against Arizona

Scotto
07-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Selfish play? Sounds like the root of every Team USA defeat in the past 8 years. Well they might have the best individual players in the world, the US is falling farther behind in the world game.

BBskorer
07-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Of course having Durant & Oden would've been nice. Although Oden on U19 would've been cause for an international investigation, I'm sure...

FuManShoes
07-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm rather surprised to see Matt struggle as he did during this tournament. Looking at the roster, it appeared he'd be one of the most versatile and polished platyers the U.S. fielded. It seemed he started off well, at least in the play-making department, but faded into a fouling machine as the games went on. I hope he's able to shrug off the experience, or at least learn something from it and get back to work with his teammates. I seem to remember DRav took a step back his junior year due to injuries and off the court problems. I don't think Matt's going through that, but it would be a shame not to see him make a nice jump this year -- the Zags will need it.

Zag509
07-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Adam never fouled out.

But its not often he played defense. :D

Nevtelen
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Selfish play? Sounds like the root of every Team USA defeat in the past 8 years. Well they might have the best individual players in the world, the US is falling farther behind in the world game.

The Serbia game is the only game I got a chance to watch a significant part of (I saw all but the first quarter) but this really did look like a very standard US team to me - fantastic athletes and great individual play with little teamwork, especially on D, to cement it together. Same problem as the senior team. I don't think this will change until the process of putting teams like this together changes - the senior men's team is headed (hopefully) in the right direction with the 3 year "program" etc.

As for Bouldin, I hope he at least enjoyed seeing a different part of the world even if he can't be happy about how he played/was used or about that final loss.

CDC84
07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
It is to my understanding that Team USA couldn't hit a pea in the ocean versus Serbia, which is going to happen to you at least once when you play that many games in such a short time span. Which is why I think the format of the FIBA tournament is foolish. The NCAA tourney and the NFL playoffs are a single elimination format where if you lose, you're out. Baseball and the NBA have series formats to determine their champ. FIBA is set up to where you could very easily have an undefeated team in the final versus a team that lost 4 games, and yet if the undefeated team loses that final game, they lose the tournament. I can't say that I like this format.

kdaleb
07-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Looking at the schedule (http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fiba/u19men/scheResu/p/langLC/en/openNodeIDs/4442/selNodeID/4442/fe_scheStat_sche.html), they played 9 games in 11 days! That's crazy.

Scotto
07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
International tournaments have always been like that. Two rounds of classification, followed by the top 8 making the quarter finals.

Zag79
07-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Bouldin in 10 secs. in 2nd quarter makes a bad pass and is yanked. He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself.

that sounds familiar. i wonder if MB would have wanted to keep playing at that rate? tough go for him all around really. im sure it will help him in the long run though.