PDA

View Full Version : I wonder

willandi
05-29-2012, 06:45 AM
All the Talk about Rob and IMG is really exciting and informative, but makes me wonder what Gonzaga has that is similar. At the end of the season, when coaches are not allowed contact with the team, do they have a meeting and layout what they want each player to work on over the summer?
I could see giving Sam a leash for his left hand, won't go above his pectorals, and then have him shoot, an hour or two each day with his right hand. 2 guards and a big working on entry/passing out, they could rotate which of the three gets to shoot, but develop the thoughts that when the pass goes in it can alos go out. Another, when the pass goes in, it goes up, never below the top of the head.
Seems like these things can be worked on hard, and mean as much, or more, than the scrimmages.
If a player, a gym rat, shoots the ball every 10 sec., it's 6 a minute, thats 60/hr., but every 6 sec becomes 10 minute or 600 hr. We hear about shooters doing this, but why not the bigs too, working on their own needs?

Just some off season thoughts.

CanadianZagFan
05-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Trust me, every player is given an individual program that they are supposed to work on during the off-season. The coaches will have outlined areas for improvement and put together a series of drills for them. Also, they will have a weight/plyo/agility program for them as well. Even at the high school level we do this for players that want it.

titopoet
05-29-2012, 07:33 AM
New NCAA rule allows for Coaches to work on court for two hours per week .for any players enrolled in summer school (http://www.startribune.com/printarticle/?id=145427825). I wonder if GU will take advantage?

willandi
05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
I would certainly expect that they would be, and yet I am seeing how they work with Bobby, how it went with Bouldin and others. The claims are that they can help you run faster, jump higher etc. At some point the body reaches it's peak. If the players are able to improve that much in a short period of time, shouldn't a similar trainer be on the Zags staff?
In a perfect world, each graduating Zag player would already be at their best potential. I know thats a bit of a pipe dream, but I'm sure you get my gist.
Michael Saunders, of the Mariners, hired a hitting coach that put bungee type straps on his arms, to shorten and strengthen his swing. Couldn't something that simple work with Sam to get him to go to the right hand more?