PDA

View Full Version : Mam Jaiteh and Gerard Coleman Info Thread

BobZag
05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Really want Coleman to transfer here. I'm lukewarm on Jaiteh. Be sure to post any lowdown or insider info on these two, their visits, sightings, decisions, etc. Go Zags.

Zagluv95
05-28-2012, 11:58 AM
I know that Mam was on campus today. He was seen being picked up by Mr. Few on campus so Mark must want him a little bit. Also was told he looks all of 6 feet 9 inches if not taller.

Worthington
05-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Jaiteh seems to me like the foreign equivalent to Goodluck Okonoboh or Jordan Bell, all athletically gifted but raw offensively.

kitzbuel
05-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Arkansas has been interested in Jaiteh, too. They think he is sticking to France.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=481078.0

http://recruiting.arpreps.com/2012/05/04/jaiteh-staying-put/

VaBeachZAG
05-29-2012, 04:52 AM
The comment re Jaiteh staying put preceded his campus visit, so who knows what the real deal is.

ZagNative
05-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Slipper Still Fits says Gerard Coleman is visiting tomorrow and has this post about him (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/5/29/3049942/is-gerard-coleman-the-answer-at-sf-the-providence-transfer-will-visit).

CanadianZagFan
05-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Slipper Still Fits says Gerard Coleman is visiting tomorrow and has this post about him (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/5/29/3049942/is-gerard-coleman-the-answer-at-sf-the-providence-transfer-will-visit).

Still a little undersized for me to be the answer at the 3 spot, but he would be a nice player to get.

hooter73
05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Coleman sounds like an ideal bridge for the post Harris years.

Im still reading up on Jaiteh.

cjm720
05-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Coleman would be great...double digit scoring his first two years in the Big East...would see a ton of PT after Hart/Guy/? at the 3.

Here's to hoping a mutually beneficial visit!

BobZag
05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Coleman would be great...double digit scoring his first two years in the Big East...would see a ton of PT after Hart/Guy/? at the 3.

Here's to hoping a mutually beneficial visit!

Amen. This is a guy I really hope Few gets.

Regarding Jaiteh, did he visit UW first, or will he visit UW after GU? Anyone know?

Zagluv95
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
He went to UW after leaving here on Monday.

Blitzing-Zag
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM

Coleman would be a very nice get for us. Its hard to not like a guy that puts up double digit scoring in the Big East.

KStyles
05-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Not really any new info, but there was a post on Jaiteh on ESPN RumorCentral this morning.

We've written a lot lately about Washington's recruiting approach for 2012 and what they might do in 2013. But just when it looked like the Huskies might bank their one remaining open scholarship for 2013, they reportedly hosted a tall visitor on Tuesday ... for 2012.

According to Mark Knight of TheHuskyHaul.com, all signs point to it being French center Mouhammadou Jaiteh.

Jaiteh is a 6-foot-9 power forward/center whose greatest asset at this stage appears to be his ability to rebound. Per this tweet by EuroHopes.com, Jaiteh came to the states to visit both UW and Gonzaga, which already has a 2012 commitment from Polish 7-footer Przemek Karnowski.

If Jaiteh chooses to play at Washington, there's a decent chance he could redshirt as a freshman. Lorenzo Romar has redshirted at least one player for five-straight seasons, including three last year, and the Huskies already have a number of young bigs who are looking for a chance to break out. However, if he's ready to make an impact, the Huskies could certainly use him in 2012-13.
-Joe Kaiser

007Zag
05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
...about this Coleman kid. First I've heard of him, but it looks like he would more or less take over at the three after redshirting next year. Guy and Hart will have both graduated by the time he's eligible.

I'm pumped for 2012-13, but 2013-14 could be even better. Can you imagine Sam and Kelly as seniors, KP, GBJ, and Coleman as juniors, and Drang and PK as sophomores? The team probably needs one more 3/4, but look out.

gu03alum
05-31-2012, 05:45 AM
Gonzaga hosted Providence transfer Gerard Coleman on Wednesday (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59619/3-point-shot-a-10-settles-on-16-games)

From Andy Katz this morning:

2. Gonzaga hosted Providence transfer Gerard Coleman on Wednesday. The 6-foot-4 guard/forward is leaving the Friars after averaging 13.2 points and 5.0 rebounds during his sophomore season in 2011-12. The Zags have had no issue going both national and global of late. The addition of 7-1 Polish big man Przemek Karnowski didn’t get lot of national attention but it makes the Zags more of a force out West.

CDC84
05-31-2012, 07:31 AM
You would be surprised how many 6-4 small forwards exist in division one college basketball. Even at the BCS level.

CanadianZagFan
05-31-2012, 08:00 AM
You would be surprised how many 6-4 small forwards exist in division one college basketball. Even at the BCS level.

Are they truly Small Forwards, or are teams utilising a 3 guard set?

If you look at the majority of teams that are playing in the final 4/elite 8, almost all have legit 6'6" or bigger small forwards. Now I am not saying a 6'4 guy can't work on a successful team, especially with the length of KO, Dower and the big Pole at the back end, but it seems to me that the 6'6"-6'8" SF makes a difference.

cggonzaga
05-31-2012, 08:12 AM
I'd be more interested in how many small forwards are actually stars in college? The numbers would be few in my estimation. I don't care about the heighth. Give me a guy that can play the position. Coleman clearly can and is clearly a difficult guard for bigger small forwards. I haven't seen him enough on the defensive end to know if he struggles against bigger small forwards but I'd be surprised if he did because of his length.

webspinnre
05-31-2012, 08:47 AM
And the thing about the 3 spot in college is that it isn't necessarily a true SF like in the NBA. It really is more of a wing in that a tall athletic 2 guard is plenty for most purposes.

BobZag
05-31-2012, 09:06 AM
I want Coleman like Daltrey wanted the magic bus.

RockandRollJames
05-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I want Coleman like Daltrey wanted the magic bus.

I feel like he isn't getting the hype that he deserves from everyone. He would be a HUGE get for us. Just imagine a lineup of Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Dower, and Karnowski (hey, it's possible he stays more than a year). That's a lot of talent.

CDC84
05-31-2012, 09:31 AM
The bottom line is that if there is a 6-6 to 6-8 small forward with double digit scoring prowess and athleticism, he's probably a McDonald's AA, a future pro, and headed to Kentucky, Kansas or UNC. Gonzaga is going to have a hard time getting one of those guys unless they luck into one.

For Gonzaga's system, I would rather have a 6-4 small forward (or second shooting guard...whatever you want to call it) who can put the ball in hoop than a SF with NBA height who has limited offensive talent. But that's just me. I like the latter as a key bench player.

DagsZags
05-31-2012, 09:33 AM
TSSF just retweeted (I know) @BostonHeraldHS, who said that according to Coleman's AAU coach Leo Papile, Gerard is now down to just Xavier and Gonzaga.

I'm liking our chances, seems like his visit is going very well so far

BobZag
05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
I feel like he isn't getting the hype that he deserves from everyone. He would be a HUGE get for us. Just imagine a lineup of Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Dower, and Karnowski (hey, it's possible he stays more than a year). That's a lot of talent.

Dranginis in there somewhere.

CanadianZagFan
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Dranginis in there somewhere.

Don't forget KO as well.

JPtheBeasta
05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
TSSF just retweeted (I know) @BostonHeraldHS, who said that according to Coleman's AAU coach Leo Papile, Gerard is now down to just Xavier and Gonzaga.

I'm liking our chances, seems like his visit is going very well so far

Very interesting, indeed. I do like the idea of Dranginis spelling the 1-2 spots, but he is approximately the same height as Coleman (6'4"?), who everyone is calling a 3. Drangs would seem to be able to fill that 3 spot if needed. The more depth, the better, and Coleman is a proven producer at the D1 level, so I would like to get him. I guess I'm just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't land him.

I like our chances though, between us and Xavier.

gu03alum
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
The bottom line is that if there is a 6-6 to 6-8 small forward with double digit scoring prowess and athleticism, he's probably a McDonald's AA, a future pro, and headed to Kentucky, Kansas or UNC. Gonzaga is going to have a hard time getting one of those guys unless they luck into one.

Gonzaga had that guy (Daye) a few years ago and played him at power forward.

cggonzaga
05-31-2012, 11:48 AM

Daye was 6'10-6'11" and like you said played power forward not small forward.

The only guy we've ever had that matched CDC's description was Morrison.

I agree with the poster that said it won't kill us to not get Coleman because of Dranginis however I would much rather have the depth of being able to rotate Pangos, Bell, Dranginis and Coleman. One thing abundantly lacking this past season was backcourt depth.

ZagFanInNC
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Very interesting, indeed. I do like the idea of Dranginis spelling the 1-2 spots, but he is approximately the same height as Coleman (6'4"?), who everyone is calling a 3. Drangs would seem to be able to fill that 3 spot if needed. The more depth, the better, and Coleman is a proven producer at the D1 level, so I would like to get him. I guess I'm just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't land him.

I like our chances though, between us and Xavier.

Dranginis is REALLY slight of frame, even though he has nice height he is going to need to hit the weights to play the traditional 3. In Few's 3 guard lineup he would fit their nicely however. I love Dranginis being the first guard off of the bench by the way, I would like to see Bell with the ball in his hands a little more as well, especially when Pangos comes out.

I think that Coleman brings that high level of athleticism in a 2/3 guard that we need. While Bell is an awesome defender, he doesn't have the length to match up against some 2's and most 3's. . . hopefully Coleman will be able to do that.

Kiddwell
05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
FWIW, Matt Bouldin (at 6-5) would at times slide over and play the 3.

:]

Bogozags
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM

I always felt if Daye played the SF position, he would have been a match-up nightmare for everyone we played BUT we didn't really have anyone else to play the PF...Josh would have been a natural there w/Daye at the SF and with Bouldin (SG) and Pargo (PG) we would have really tough to match-up with all around BUT no C except for Foster...It would have been an incredible "IF" team...IMO

It seems we have always been one piece away from being that extremely talented and dominant team...speculation with Harris and Dranginis/Edi playing the SF and those three being dominant at that position, then the missing piece could be "found" but Coleman at the three next year would solidify that position but they we wouldn't have EH...sure we would still have three bigs to rotate at the C and two at the PF so we could be very tough next year too!

Just once, it would be nice to be able to get all the necessary pieces to advance from one round to the next...again, MHO.

VinnyZag
05-31-2012, 12:40 PM
I wish people wouldn't get so caught up in the PG/SG/SF/PF/C arrangement. What we need is a point guard, two wings and two post players.

CanadianZagFan
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
I wish people wouldn't get so caught up in the PG/SG/SF/PF/C arrangement. What we need is a point guard, two wings and two post players.
I agree with this thought, but both your "wings" can't be 6'2'-6'3", nor can your post be 6'6" guys.

ZAGGED OUT
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Dranginis is REALLY slight of frame, even though he has nice height he is going to need to hit the weights to play the traditional 3. In Few's 3 guard lineup he would fit their nicely however. I love Dranginis being the first guard off of the bench by the way, I would like to see Bell with the ball in his hands a little more as well, especially when Pangos comes out.

I think that Coleman brings that high level of athleticism in a 2/3 guard that we need. While Bell is an awesome defender, he doesn't have the length to match up against some 2's and most 3's. . . hopefully Coleman will be able to do that.

A couple things here, I believe the whole reason that Drang redshirted is to put on weight, so hopefully that issue will be resolved. I don't see a defensive advantage in Coleman right away, in fact, I think you underrated Bells defense. Look at the Ohio State game, Bell matched up on Buford (6'6") for most of the game and kept him more than in check limiting him to 4-13 shooting. Don't get me wrong, length is always nice defensively, but Bell is one the best players ive seen at playing D with his feet which is what allows him to keep these taller guards in check.

I hope that we get Coleman, but I see it as more of an insurance policy for our offense after next year when both of our SF's leave.

northsidezagfan
05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
I always felt if Daye played the SF position, he would have been a match-up nightmare for everyone we played BUT we didn't really have anyone else to play the PF...Josh would have been a natural there w/Daye at the SF and with Bouldin (SG) and Pargo (PG) we would have really tough to match-up with all around BUT no C except for Foster...It would have been an incredible "IF" team...IMO

It seems we have always been one piece away from being that extremely talented and dominant team...speculation with Harris and Dranginis/Edi playing the SF and those three being dominant at that position, then the missing piece could be "found" but Coleman at the three next year would solidify that position but they we wouldn't have EH...sure we would still have three bigs to rotate at the C and two at the PF so we could be very tough next year too!

Just once, it would be nice to be able to get all the necessary pieces to advance from one round to the next...again, MHO.

It really hurt not having Rob that year. Granted at that stage he wasn't the player he was this year, but simply having him to let Josh play the 4 and Austin at the 3 would have been huge. Pargo Bouldin Daye Heytvelt Sacre with Gray/Downs off the bench would have been pretty special.

WallaWallaZag
05-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Daye was 6'10-6'11" and like you said played power forward not small forward.

I agree with the poster that said it won't kill us to not get Coleman because of Dranginis however I would much rather have the depth of being able to rotate Pangos, Bell, Dranginis and Coleman. One thing abundantly lacking this past season was backcourt depth.

i believe that even in the nba daye is mostly playing the 4...he's just not quick enough to play the 3, especially in college where a lot of 3's are like coleman, unless zone was being played.

as for coleman, without him we have no depth...to me, stockton still needs to get better and can only back-up the point...and i hate the line-up with him and pangos in at the same time. no idea if sarbaugh can play at this level, or even dranginis for that matter.

coleman is a proven commodity. if dranginis can really back up the point like some here suggest, there's 25-30 mins per game just backing up the 1, 2, and 3 spots. even if he can't he would still have 15-20 per backing up the 2 and 3 spots. if drang develops and turns out to be a stud, zags would still need coleman to back up the 2 and 3 spots.

gu03alum
05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
i believe that even in the nba daye is mostly playing the 4...he's just not quick enough to play the 3, especially in college where a lot of 3's are like coleman, unless zone was being played.

He's listed as a 3 on the depth chart on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/det/detroit-pistons).

ZagaZags
05-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Did Coleman visit Xavier yet?

Bogozags
05-31-2012, 05:00 PM
It really hurt not having Rob that year. Granted at that stage he wasn't the player he was this year, but simply having him to let Josh play the 4 and Austin at the 3 would have been huge. Pargo Bouldin Daye Heytvelt Sacre with Gray/Downs off the bench would have been pretty special.

Yes, I agree completely he would of made a big difference on both ends of the court AND if he would of played we probably become a higher seed. I see Coleman being special and making us a much better team, with lots of depth.

dawgfather11
05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
What do you guys know about Jaiteh? I know he visited UW after being at GU but most of the info was kept pretty under wraps on the UW site. Sounds like he'd be more of a project (redshirt) from the little i've heard?

bostonzagfan
05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
we could use a project and RS backup big man.

seems like a lot of kids we are after are more PT right away kind of guys. not that there is anything wrong with that, but we can't have 12 of them on the roster. 3 or so guys need to know they aren't getting much pt and be ok with that (vs transferring)

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-01-2012, 04:55 AM

Micah Downs?

webspinnre
06-01-2012, 06:24 AM
I agree with this thought, but both your "wings" can't be 6'2'-6'3", nor can your post be 6'6" guys.

Both your wings can be 6'3" if they've got the right skillset. I'd rather have an athletic slashing 6'3" who can shoot and defend then a 6'7" stiff. In a perfect world, I'd like my 3 to be 6'6" or 6'7" and have all the athleticism and shooting ability, but the fact is, those type of kids don't normally choose schools like GU. It is what it is.

SLOZag
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Friday News and Notes: Zags closing in on Coleman?

An update from Slipper Still Fits:

"Providence transfer Gerard Coleman. Coleman recently visited Spokane and, according to the Boston Herald, he will decide between either the Zags or Xavier. He will have two years of eligibility after sitting out next season due to transfer rules. Gerard averaged 13 points and 5 rebounds in about 34 minutes a game last year for the Friars. He would be a big get for Gonzaga who will be in desperate need of help at the wing next season following Guy Landry Edi's senior season. As it stands now, Gonzaga's lone option at the wing for the 2013-14 season appears to be Kyle Dranginis. Many expect Kyle to be a valuable contributor but we have still yet to see what he can do making the jump from Idaho High School Hoops to Division 1 Basketball."

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/6/1/3057148/gonzaga-gerard-coleman-providence-transfer

Article also contains some info re: the recruiting of 2013 guard Jordan Mathews, described as a "6' 3" wing prospect." Wing? Hmmm.

Almost two years ago Joel Francisco was quoted by BobZag as saying Mathews was one of the top 2012 SoCal recruits. http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=30028&highlight=Jordan+Mathews Does anyone know if Mathews is 2012 or 2013?

KStyles
06-01-2012, 12:04 PM
[SIZE="4"]
Article also contains some info re: the recruiting of 2013 guard Jordan Mathews, described as a "6' 3" wing prospect." Wing? Hmmm.

Almost two years ago Joel Francisco was quoted by BobZag as saying Mathews was one of the top 2012 SoCal recruits. http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=30028&highlight=Jordan+Mathews Does anyone know if Mathews is 2012 or 2013?

Looks like Class of 2013.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jordan-Mathews-123085

cjm720
06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Love this Matthews quote: "Matthews also knows what he’s looking for in a program. “I want an up-tempo style, a place where I’ll get better where my game will improve over the course of four years, a family atmosphere and a place we’ll win,” he said."

That's us.

SteelZag
06-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Should GU go "Green"? People have advocated going after recruits from the Southeast. Perhaps showcasing some of the northwest's great natural resources would help recruiting. Article on how SEC deals with offenders.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8000546/sec-lenient-discipline-marijuana-investigation-says

MDABE80
06-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Coleman's what we need. I hope he choses us. If Bell, Pangos, Coleman, Dranginis and Stockton can figure out a way to cover the 2-3 guard spots, we're in serious troube S superior guard in the Beg East is just what would help.
Probably the best guard core in the country. 6- 1 to 6- 5 is enough to win lots if these kids have great skills which they do. We get Coleman, I know I'll be plenty happy. Seriously just look at his incoming experience. proven kid in a tough league. WIsh his percetages were better though. We'll see. I suspect Dranginis will surprise us.

sittingon50
06-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I think getting him out of the NE (A-10) is gonna' be tough.

Hope I'm wrong.

ZagFanInNC
06-03-2012, 12:38 AM
A couple things here, I believe the whole reason that Drang redshirted is to put on weight, so hopefully that issue will be resolved. I don't see a defensive advantage in Coleman right away, in fact, I think you underrated Bells defense. Look at the Ohio State game, Bell matched up on Buford (6'6") for most of the game and kept him more than in check limiting him to 4-13 shooting. Don't get me wrong, length is always nice defensively, but Bell is one the best players ive seen at playing D with his feet which is what allows him to keep these taller guards in check.

I hope that we get Coleman, but I see it as more of an insurance policy for our offense after next year when both of our SF's leave.

I promise I don't underestimate Bell at all, asking him to defend guys 4-5" taller than him is pretty unfair. Coleman isn't the defender Bell is but he is taller, longer and seemingly more athletic. He will match up pretty well against more traditional 3 guards and then Bell can shut down somebody else.

I really hope Coleman commits, he will be an excellent addition to our already really talented back court.

BobZag
06-03-2012, 08:57 AM
C'mon, when we gettin' Coleman, man?!

thebigsmoove
06-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Gerard has been dropping some hints via facebook:

Click Here (http://www.zagaholic.com/2012/06/gerard-coleman-hints-at-possible-move.html)

NotoriousZ
06-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Gerard has been dropping some hints via facebook:

Click Here (http://www.zagaholic.com/2012/06/gerard-coleman-hints-at-possible-move.html)

"Had a crazy time @ Gonzaga could possibly be my next home..."

Sounds good to me!

75Zag
06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Coleman would be a good get for various reasons.

On another topic, I hope they dig a giant hole and bury the "OctoMom" and the guy who invented Twitter in it. Together. Alive. I will be happy to add the last shovel of dirt.

Blitzing-Zag
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
"Had a crazy time @ Gonzaga could possibly be my next home..."

Sounds good to me!

Please, please, please let Spokane be his next home!

MDABE80
06-03-2012, 07:42 PM
He's a very good one. With his background and excellent family, I think he'd like a break from the East. Very solid on the home front for him but an adventure out West is something every kid should do.

I'd suspect his folks are urging him to "see the world". Seems like a good student and just a good all around young man. Xavier's a good school but it's still more in the east. I have a hunch We'd be a breath of fresh air.

ZagaZags
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
I think this week we will find out that Gerard Coleman is going to be a Zag.

DADoZAG
06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I think this week we will find out that Gerard Coleman is going to be a Zag.

Has he visited X?

I looked all through this thread, perhaps I missed it.

Go ZAGS!

cggonzaga
06-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Zaga seems to know things so I'm assuming this will happen. Great news if it does! Can't really think of a guy we've had that attacks the basket with as great of body control as Coleman.

We need to make a big time run in the tournament this upcoming year because 2013 could be something special with all the talent and experience that should be on that team. Don't get me wrong, we may have the pieces for something special this year. It would be great if Edi could take a big step forward this season.

kitzbuel
06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Coleman would be a good get for various reasons.

On another topic, I hope they dig a giant hole and bury the "OctoMom" and the guy who invented Twitter in it. Together. Alive. I will be happy to add the last shovel of dirt.

Right along with those kids that keep getting on your lawn? :)

2wiceright
06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=cggonzaga;799303]Zaga seems to know things so I'm assuming this will happen. Great news if it does! Can't really think of a guy we've had that attacks the basket with as great of body control as Coleman.

What about Pargo?....Just a thought, but I do remember if he found an opening he'd hit it quick and finish with some pretty nice dunks for a kid his size. Lots of power -even back then and especially for a point guard!

..Also hoping the same thing as you about EDI. He might just turn into the guy we've been looking for and without the suspension and injuries he might just surprise everyone!!!

RockandRollJames
06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit
According to @ChristopheEPcom , it is doubtful that Mam Jaiteh will play college ball despite visiting Gonzaga & UW. He will likely go pro.

RockandRollJames
06-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Also, Providence transfer Gerard Coleman will visit Xavier tomorrow. Coleman recently visited Gonzaga and is down to the 2 schools.

BobZag
06-05-2012, 04:55 PM
According to @ChristopheEPcom , it is doubtful that Mam Jaiteh will play college ball despite visiting Gonzaga & UW. He will likely go pro.

His academics are beyond awful. Grab the money and run, son. Good choice.

gonwick
06-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Was curious about what Xavier board was saying. They are lukewarm on him. I didn't realize that his three pt. Percentage has been at 24% and his ft percentage climbed to 67% last year, an improvement on an abysmal freshman year. Something to work on during the redshirt year I guess.

MDABE80
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
His %ages are terrible. If he's going to be a coveted 3 pt shooter his year in waiting needs to be used practicing from 3 pt land nd FT shooting. Decent in most other things. This kid has lots of potential. If he works hard, he'll be a good one.

sittingon50
06-05-2012, 10:35 PM
I got the impression that he was one of the focal points on a bad Providence team. With some of the pressure off it should probably make his life a lot easier.

BroncoZAG615
06-06-2012, 06:13 AM
I got the impression that he was one of the focal points on a bad Providence team. With some of the pressure off it should probably make his life a lot easier.

Totally agree. I'm not worried about his percentages at all because it will be such a balanced backcourt that he will get 'his' shots. Free throw shooting needs to be improved by a couple points but I trust he can do that.

75Zag
06-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Coleman had a lot of minutes and decent - not fantastic - numbers at Providence. I think a player like Coleman would be a boost to any WCC team and I would welcome him to GU.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/coleman_gerard00.html

Go Bulldogs!

jimmy b
06-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Coleman had a lot of minutes and decent - not fantastic - numbers at Providence. I think a player like Coleman would be a boost to any WCC team and I would welcome him to GU.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/coleman_gerard00.html

Go Bulldogs!

Agreed, and according the profile in the link, his favorite movie is shawshank redemption, which is near top of my list. Don't think many 20 year olds would say that. he's got good taste imo.

except for the distance, I like our chances against Xavier. Hope it works out.

BMAN
06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Xavier too deep at wing?

1:17PM ET

Xavier Musketeers

Recommend0
Comments0
Email

Ever since it was revealed that Gerard Coleman would transfer from Providence, we have followed where the wing might land. Two finalists emerged: Xavier and Gonzaga. Coleman visited Spokane, and recently took a trip to the Atlantic 10 program. However, there are whispers that Xavier may have too much depth at the wing position, which could influence which program Coleman chooses.

Coleman will not be eligible until 2013-14, and per Rick Broering of Scout, the Musketeers will have Dez Wells and Chris Thomas on the wing. Even with the possibility of a deep position, though, Broering believes Coleman will eventually land at Xavier.

Until Coleman makes his move official, we will continue vetting any information about where the PC transfer might surface.

BobZag
06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
xavier too deep at wing?

1:17pm et

xavier musketeers

recommend0
comments0
email

ever since it was revealed that gerard coleman would transfer from providence, we have followed where the wing might land. Two finalists emerged: Xavier and gonzaga. Coleman visited spokane, and recently took a trip to the atlantic 10 program. However, there are whispers that xavier may have too much depth at the wing position, which could influence which program coleman chooses.

Coleman will not be eligible until 2013-14, and per rick broering of scout, the musketeers will have dez wells and chris thomas on the wing. Even with the possibility of a deep position, though, broering believes coleman will eventually land at xavier.

Until coleman makes his move official, we will continue vetting any information about where the pc transfer might surface.

:d

JPtheBeasta
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Xavier too deep at wing?

1:17PM ET

Xavier Musketeers

Recommend0
Comments0
Email

Ever since it was revealed that Gerard Coleman would transfer from Providence, we have followed where the wing might land. Two finalists emerged: Xavier and Gonzaga. Coleman visited Spokane, and recently took a trip to the Atlantic 10 program. However, there are whispers that Xavier may have too much depth at the wing position, which could influence which program Coleman chooses.

Coleman will not be eligible until 2013-14, and per Rick Broering of Scout, the Musketeers will have Dez Wells and Chris Thomas on the wing. Even with the possibility of a deep position, though, Broering believes Coleman will eventually land at Xavier.

Until Coleman makes his move official, we will continue vetting any information about where the PC transfer might surface.

I'm not saying we are losing out on Coleman, but the next time a fish slips off the line we should remember posts like the above. Sometimes location or the name of the school is all it takes. He could come to GU and play right away when eligible but the above pundit thinks Xavier is still the favorite, despite crowding at that position.

I wonder if it makes a difference that we beat Xavier on the regular, don't have the crazy non-basketball related issues, and will still be loaded at the other 4 positions in 2013?

jpwils
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Well....if this guy does a simple Ben Franklin comparison the only thing we lack should be proximity.

I will say that he seems like a fourth or fifth option on offense and that Few
appears to run a tighter ship, but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, eh?

Hope to hear of his decision this week! Go Zags!!

LongIslandZagFan
06-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm not saying we are losing out on Coleman, but the next time a fish slips off the line we should remember posts like the above. Sometimes location or the name of the school is all it takes. He could come to GU and play right away when eligible but the above pundit thinks Xavier is still the favorite, despite crowding at that position.

I wonder if it makes a difference that we beat Xavier on the regular, don't have the crazy non-basketball related issues, and will still be loaded at the other 4 positions in 2013?

Relax.... Mr. Broering runs the Xavier message board. He isn't a pundit.

JPtheBeasta
06-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Relax.... Mr. Broering runs the Xavier message board. He isn't a pundit.

I'm relaxed :] I had wondered if he was a homer with some biases, though... Thx.

cjm720
06-07-2012, 12:03 PM

I had to wiki that emoticon. I think it means laughing....hmmm

BobZag
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
It wouldn't let me do this :D twice. :(

SLOZag
06-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Friday News and Notes: Zags closing in on Coleman?

An update from Slipper Still Fits:

For those of you that were intrigued when Mathews was first discussed, start smiling, because GU has just offered. Mathews currently also holds offers from Colorado, San Diego State, VCU, Wyoming, and San Francisco. According to SSF, his Dad is a coach at UCLA.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/6/12/3081586/gonzaga-recruiting-offers-2013-guard-jordan-mathews

JPtheBeasta
06-12-2012, 04:40 PM
For those of you that were intrigued when Mathews was first discussed, start smiling, because GU has just offered. Mathews currently also holds offers from Colorado, San Diego State, VCU, Wyoming, and San Francisco. According to SSF, his Dad is a coach at UCLA.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/6/12/3081586/gonzaga-recruiting-offers-2013-guard-jordan-mathews

Curious to see how much influence Coach Daniels has on this one...