PDA

View Full Version : New Top 25: Sporting news (5-22-12)

MDABE80
05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-05-22/college-basketball-rankings-2012-13-top-25-mike-decourcy

We need more stuff like this. Less of the fussy noise. Zags @ 21. About right but a wee bit low in my view. Good comments by DeCourcy.

CDC84
05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
FWIW = the TSN preseason rankings are voted on by all of magazine's college basketball writers. Not just Decourcy but several other guys. So you can't really attribute the rankings to any one person.

I am still not understanding the Kool Aid everyone is drinking regarding UCLA. They were 19-14 in a year when the Pac 12 was severely down. I don't care how good Anderson and Shabazz are. The returning players need to show me more...especially the fat man in the middle and the Wear Twins. Maybe I will be proven wrong.

MDABE80
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
CDC ...experienced hands never hang their FF Hats on Freshman who haven't played together except in an occasional outing. Commentary by DeCourcy is pretty fair I think. Josh Smith has a lot of potential never to be realised as long as he's 200 lbs...or even close to that weight. The Wears and Tony Parker will puch Smith.

It almost seems like the press is longing for the good ole days where in UCLA was "it".....and the rest were "not quite IT".

We'll see. I do think we will be a top 15 when we win some big ones. We STILL need a skilled wing who can put some points up. Looks like we might have to wait on that .

Robzagnut
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Kentucky has turned the rankings into "Who is coming in for 1 year?" rather than "Who is staying?"

DADoZAG
05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
FWIW = the TSN preseason rankings are voted on by all of magazine's college basketball writers.
I am still not understanding the Kool Aid everyone is drinking regarding UCLA.

And I’m sure college basketball writers are never affected by MARKET SHARE. They never consider who might be reading this particular piece, or their next piece, and are completely capable of keeping the human weakness part out of their printed opinion.

Go ZAGS!

Sarcasm alert!!

cjm720
05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Way too low IMO.

SLOZag
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
I do think we will be a top 15 when we win some big ones.

It's going to be tough to "win some big ones" when NOBODY on our schedule (except for the RMD game opponent, if we are lucky) is in TSN's pre-season top 25.

:argh:

MDABE80
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I noticed that too SLO. I looked and looked. Not much to see. First time in years too. Usually we have the NAMES and the NAMES with high rankings. This year we have names. Who knows...likely it'll change.

rijman
05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
FWIW = the TSN preseason rankings are voted on by all of magazine's college basketball writers. Not just Decourcy but several other guys. So you can't really attribute the rankings to any one person.

I am still not understanding the Kool Aid everyone is drinking regarding UCLA. They were 19-14 in a year when the Pac 12 was severely down. I don't care how good Anderson and Shabazz are. The returning players need to show me more...especially the fat man in the middle and the Wear Twins. Maybe I will be proven wrong.
I'm with you on this one. I also agree with Robzagnut about Kentucky. If you're bringing in top recruits it is automatically assumed they will have Anthony Davis seasons without any hiccups or team chemistry issues. Some top recruits don't have great freshman seasons and young teams don't always gel.

CDC84
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
As great as Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague were this past season, they joined a team that already had Doron Lamb, Terrence Jones and Darius Miller. Guys who will be playing in Stern's league and who had played in the final four the previous year.

What have the returning UCLA guys done? Zilch.

For me that's the major issue. Even if Shabazz and Anderson produce elite freshman seasons, what's their support?

Worthington
05-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I think Shabazz is good enough to carry UCLA to the top of the PAC 12, but I agree that there is no way they will be a top 5 team next year. Kyle Anderson IMO will struggle at the college level, I don't see him as a one and done player. UCLA usually under performs, I have no idea why elite players want to play under Ben Howland. Sounds like there was a lot of dysfunction and bad leadership at UCLA the last couple years too.

rijman
05-23-2012, 07:54 PM
As great as Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague were this past season, they joined a team that already had Doron Lamb, Terrence Jones and Darius Miller. Guys who will be playing in Stern's league and who had played in the final four the previous year.

What have the returning UCLA guys done? Zilch.

For me that's the major issue. Even if Shabazz and Anderson produce elite freshman seasons, what's their support?
You're looking at Kentucky last season and I'm looking at Kentucky next season where I've seen them ranked 1 and 2 in different polls with only 1 returning player. Talk about a weak returning class...