PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks a playoff team in 2012?

bullzag23
05-22-2012, 07:48 PM
According to a recent Insider article, yes:

Even though the Seattle Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson in the third round of the 2012 NFL draft and have Tarvaris Jackson on the roster, it appears that free-agent acquisition Matt Flynn will be the Week 1 starter. Flynn has played well in his brief starting tenure for the Green Bay Packers, but how does he fit in Seattle's offense? And with a strong defense, how far can the Seahawks go this season?

The Seahawks gave Flynn a fair amount of money as a free-agent quarterback, and his responsibilities in Seattle will be far different than what Green Bay asks of Aaron Rodgers. This is a good thing, though, as Flynn doesn't compare to Rodgers in terms of his ability to throw the football and the Seahawks' offensive supporting cast doesn't resemble the one in Green Bay.

Flynn is a very average passer who relies on timing and accuracy rather than the ability to thread the needle or to torture opposing defenses outside the numbers. He is the type of thrower who will always have to be managed, but Flynn does get the ball out quickly, has a good mind for the game and is accurate, often hitting his receivers in stride. I'm not a huge believer in Flynn's possible development into a top-10 NFL quarterback, but I do think his ability to consistently move the chains and protect the football endears him best to the Seahawks' present team philosophy, which is to play small ball. And that's a strategy that could pay off for them by the end of the season.

The Seahawks shouldn't plan on playing in a lot of shootouts, but instead should stick to what they do best on offense, which is feature Marshawn Lynch. Even though there are numerous questions surrounding their offensive line right now, especially on the right side, the Seahawks will look to bludgeon their opponents while moving the chains with a controlled passing game to Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin Zach Miller and the newly-acquired Kellen Winslow, all of whom should be poised for very solid 2012 campaigns if they can stay healthy. Golden Tate also could be in line for a step up in production, as he can do a lot of damage after the catch. Winslow especially should be a Flynn-friendly target in the middle of the field and a very good complement to Miller. Seattle should now feature plenty of double tight end sets, which also could help its offensive tackles.

Does Flynn have the ability to stretch the field? Here and there he can, but it won't be a consistent portion of Seattle's attack -- nor will deep throws outside the numbers. And Flynn simply won't attempt some of the more difficult throws, which opposing defensive coordinators will be quick to catch on to. Flynn needs to realize that punting isn't the end of the world with Seattle's strong defense, and I expect Flynn to understand this much like Matt Cassel does for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Speaking of the defense, as demonstrated with their offseason moves, including the draft, the Seahawks have dedicated a large amount of their resources to building a Super Bowl-caliber defense. On paper, I don't think they are far off from accomplishing that goal. To go along with an improved pass rush, defensive line rotation and linebacking corps, their secondary is excellent. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Seahawks finished the 2012 season with one of the top five defenses in the NFL. This unit has excellent big-play ability and should be very tough to both run and pass against. Scoring points against the Seahawks, particularly in Seattle, will be very difficult to do for opposing offenses.

So, while Flynn may not be Aaron Rodgers, he doesn't have to be. The Seahawks have a respectable running game to lean on and their defense is among the best in the league. Those elements alone should help them contend for the playoffs. And it's a formula we've seen work before.

Just look south to their NFC West counterpart, the San Francisco 49ers. The Seahawks of 2012 could very much resemble the Niners of 2011, although San Francisco's defense and special teams are better than Seattle's. If everything does go right for Seattle, I still see the Seahawks as the second best team in the NFC West but they should certainly be in the wild-card hunt.

The bottom line is this: Flynn is an upgrade at QB over Jackson, and improving at quarterback is always a good thing. I still don't see the Seahawks as true Super Bowl contenders in 2012, however they very well could be a playoff team behind Flynn.

gu03alum
05-23-2012, 05:16 AM
I agree. I think the Seahawks are trending up. It will be a fun rivalry with the niners this year.

cjm720
05-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Tough schedule and improved division more than likely. Going to be tough, but I really like our squad.

Hopefully Lynch's contract doesn't make him soft, which isn't atypical for mid-age RB coming off a big contract.

Hopefully Rice stays healthy for the year.

Hopefully Irvin is as good as billled and gets to the QB a lot. And hopefully the rest of our D continues where it left off last year.

Hopefully we found two starting LBs.

Hopefully Flynn starts and positions us each and every game to win.

And most importantly, hopefully our O-Line stays healthy all year.

I really like what Pete has done so far...will be an exciting year.

zag944
05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Defense looks ready to go, although we will miss DH.

So many question marks on offense.

Flynn needs to be the starter (Im sure thats the case, but theres still articles I read now and then flirting with Wilson or Jackson) and needs to play well. Our wide recievers and O-line need to stay healthy. Marshawn needs to keep it up. I think all these things happening is possible of course, but I wouldnt necessarily say they are all likely.

webspinnre
05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I think we've got a shot at the playoffs, but right now would have us as right around a .500 team or so. That being said, if the stuff that cjm and 944 mentioned happen, we're definitely in good shape.

st. al
05-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Just finished first week of real OTA's.

Defense looking far more advanced than the O, but that was to be expected I guess.

Playoffs would be nice. Very nice. :cheers:

cjm720
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Our O-line needs to get healthy.

Really like the Kellen Winslow pick up.