PDA

View Full Version : Things not looking good for Lavine and GU

CDC84
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/13-pg-zach-lavine-puts-together-a-list-ucla-leads/

GU isn't in his top 5. As many of us have been saying, this kid has always had a "I'm going to a BCS school no matter what" type feel about him. Keep in mind that Memphis will be changing conferences soon. With kids like this, well, it's just very hard to change their thinking.

The great news for GU is that they are still in good shape with Xavier Rathan-Mayes and several other comparable talents.

cjm720
05-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I'd love to land Lavine and tried to use the powers of positive thought to make it happen...but early on I knew it wouldn't happen. UCLA.

JPtheBeasta
05-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I'd love to land Lavine and tried to use the powers of positive thought to make it happen...but early on I knew it wouldn't happen. UCLA.

I understand wanting to go to a BCS school, but UCLA would scare the poop out of me right now if I was wanting to win games or not be brow beat by my premadonna "star" teammate.

hooter73
05-22-2012, 06:28 PM
In my mind Lavine is to Daye as Xavier is to Gray/Bouldin.

Show me the X

ZagNative
05-22-2012, 07:07 PM
IMO, we get too invested in kids like Lavine, who mention the Zags but show no real inclinations they're likely to end up in Spokane.

I'm content to wait and see what the staff comes up with.

theothegreat21
05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
In my mind Lavine is to Daye as Xavier is to Gray/Bouldin.

Show me the X

Would love to hear what this means

theothegreat21
05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
IMO, we get too invested in kids like Lavine, who mention the Zags but show no real inclinations they're likely to end up in Spokane.

I'm content to wait and see what the staff comes up with.

What do you mean? How is getting invested in Lavine any different than getting invested in a highly-rated recruit like GBJ, Austin Daye or Steven Gray? I can tell you the staff was/is certainly invested in Zach

ZagNative
05-22-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm talking about fan boards obsession with some players, as if we made any difference. I've never detected a lot of love toward the Zags from Lavine. Hence I'm puzzled by our focus on a kid who's never going to be a bulldog.

I'm not talking about the staff. I have no way of knowing what they're thinking or doing. Do you?

thespywhozaggedme
05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Would love to hear what this means

I'll take a stab at it:

Prima Dona, high maintenance vs blue collar, hard working lunch pail type

Ziggy
05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
I think you hit the mark Spy !

BroncoZAG615
05-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Nothing says offseason on GU Boards like a bunch of old folks calling 17 year old kids prima donnas with zero basis. Good work, all! It is only May and you are all in summertime form!

Reborn
05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm talking about fan boards obsession with some players, as if we made any difference. I've never detected a lot of love toward the Zags from Lavine. Hence I'm puzzled by our focus on a kid who's never going to be a bulldog.

I'm not talking about the staff. I have no way of knowing what they're thinking or doing. Do you?

Iagree, ZN. I think the members get bored this time of year. Just like I was glad we got Bell and UW got wroten. There is someone out there who's as good as Levine. I just love the players that our coaches get to sign with GU. If you've been around here as long as ZN you'd understand that to list GU means nothing at all. Too many of us get way to excited when someone lists GU.

webspinnre
05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Nothing says offseason on GU Boards like a bunch of old folks calling 17 year old kids prima donnas with zero basis. Good work, all! It is only May and you are all in summertime form!

Indeed. Because if we were all 4 or 5 star recruits I'm sure every one of us would want to go to GU, and never consider another school, particularly one with as storied a history as UCLA. And if we did, then we're definitely not GU material, whatever that means. :rolleyes:

northsidezagfan
05-22-2012, 10:26 PM
I'll take a stab at it:

How about top 30 recruit vs top 75 recruit? Not sure what you are basing this on...

A to Zags
05-23-2012, 05:01 AM
My interpretation was a little softer. Lavine equals Daye meaning one and done or two and through while X equals 4 years of good basketball. Then again I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last nite.

gu03alum
05-23-2012, 06:09 AM
I'll take a player of Daye's skill and ability every day of the week.

I don't understand how people on this board can attack AMO for his hair and Daye for his top level skill. I wonder if people hold grudges on guys going out early. It makes no sense. I would love to have more players with that amount of skill on the team. I doubt Kentucky fans have a problem with guys who leave early.

Virginia Zags Fan
05-23-2012, 06:15 AM
I hope Lavine comes to GU, but only if he wants to. I think he would be a fantastic fit in our system, would put up monster scoring stats, and would be one of the best Zags ever....... if his heart is into it. If he truly wants to play someplace else because his heart is there, I wish him every success.

I still hold out hope that he will warm to GU and come on over. As mentioned above, he is a high schooler and kids that age often change their minds several times. I will say that table would be set for ZL when paired with an upper class KP and GBJ.

Bottom line - I want kids who want to play for us. That does not mean they are bad kids if we are not the first choice. We may be 1A, but there may be a family tie or some other item that puts another outstanding school over the top.

I also trust the staff to find great players for us who want to be Zags.

hooter73
05-23-2012, 07:34 AM
I'll take a stab at it:

muted 'ding'

My interpretation was a little softer. Lavine equals Daye meaning one and done or two and through while X equals 4 years of good basketball. Then again I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last nite.

louder and clearer 'ding'

We need to have a one or two and done player come through the system every once in a while to keep the status and all that but I am very much more of a fan of long term hustle and heart skilled players... that still win.

Lavine might be a great kid, Daye too, but with the top honors notoriety comes some level of expectation and that easily leads to entitlement. We heard that Daye was a great kid and teammate and we know he was an amazing college player; we also heard a collective sigh of relief from the other players when he was drafted. To paraphrase "we can get back to playing basketball now".

Again, we need players that are good enough to go early, but like was said, we need them to want to be here. Not that I've read it about Lavine but none of this freshman demand for playing time for me.

My wish list is Xavier Rathan-Mayes, DJ Fenner and Kendal Small the year after. Oh and another high praise power forward would be timely too. Looking at the scholarship chart and our current group, we need and are only going to get good recruits that want to be here because playing time is not going to be handed to them from day one.

gu03alum
05-23-2012, 07:37 AM
There should be a sign at Gonzaga that says 4 and 5 star recruits not welcome.

awberke
05-23-2012, 07:42 AM

For real.

cggonzaga
05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
As hard as the staff supposedly went after LaVine the past couple of years its time to move on. If we aren't in his top 5 at this point we're never going to be. I would personally like to see the focus turned to Mayes. The kid is every bit the shooter LaVine is plus he already has a college ready body.

We have plenty of schollies to fill next year. I would love for 2013 recruiting to start out with Mayes, Fenner and Meickle. Throw in a couple of bigs and it will be quite the class.

2013:

PG: Pangos-junior, Stockton-senior
SG: Bell-junior, Mayes-freshman, Sarbaugh-sophomore
SF: Dranginis-sophomore, Mayes-freshman, Fenner-freshman
PF: Dower-senior, Olynek-senior
C: Olynek-senior, Karnowski-sophomore

I've got Meickle redshirting, maybe Fenner too along with 2 forward types although I'd think we'd need one to play. That still leaves a schollie I believe. Maybe 3 bigs? Or another small forward?

How great is our backcourt going to be for the next 3 seasons? We've never had a trio of Pangos, Bell and Dranginis. Its yet to be seen but I think this will be a better trio than Hall, Santangelo, Frahm. If we were able to add Mayes, WOW!

cjm720
05-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Nothing like grouping "all" into a group of few. Holier than thou?

CDC84
05-23-2012, 08:02 AM
I refuse to throw the kid under the bus for wanting to play for a BCS school. Just like I didn't throw Deon Thompson under the bus for wanting to play at North Carolina. I'd take Lavine in a heartbeat.

That being said, it's hard for me to get depressed by Lavine because Gonzaga, no matter what, is going to get one or two "high major" type guys who play the same position as Lavine. They are going after a bunch of guys. It sounds as if Rathan-Mayes, for example, is every bit as good, if not better, than Lavine. He might have an overall better game.

I doubt GU is going to be stuck with chopped liver.

titopoet
05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Some people think that the staff goes after LaVine and if they don't get him there something wrong. Wrong with either the kid or GU staff.

But ...

There maybe another story. The kids see more opportunity, connection or both at another school. He is strongly leaning toward UCLA and says it is because of family connections. Why not believe him. Couple with the fact that Pangos and Bell will be playing in the same position as LaVine, he may not see the minutes he would like.

He is bum if does come or there is something wrong with the staff if they don't kids like LaVine are both pretty extreme. This staff have found and continue to find great players to keep the Zags continuing there program. They have missed on some players that are still good players and good people. GU could not possible get all the players they go after. Heck, that happens to all programs including Kentucky. Shabazz Muhammad went where?

TexasZagFan
05-23-2012, 08:12 AM

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Abe Lincoln

Edited to add:

Many of the "old folks" you sneer at have raised kids of their own, and been intimately involved with their childrens' team sports. In the thousands of hours and hundreds of games they've devoted to supporting their children, there are undoubtedly countless examples where prima donnas are separated from the rest of the pack.

BroncoZAG615
05-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Nothing like grouping "all" into a group of few. Holier than thou?

If you don't degrade 17 year old kids on the Internet, please feel free to excuse yourself from the 'all'.

A few realistic points on this thread:
1) Yes, Gonzaga was seriously interested in Lavine but they knew it would be an uphill battle. Unlike GBJ where Few was in on him as early if not earlier than most other big time schools, Lavine was being recruited by the big guys long ago.

2) The post that claims Lavine was merely listing GU but never really considering them is totally false. Our recruiting correspondent caught up with Lavine back in September and he raved about Gonzaga. He is close with Gary Bell, and expressed extremely fond feelings towards Coach Giacoletti and Coach Few. Both which went to see him numerous times. As of that interview, he was working on setting some time to visit Gonzaga. Bummer it didn't happen but there is no basis for those saying "he was never interested".

3) There are zero parallels between Austin Daye and Zach Lavine besides the fact that they are excellent basketball players. There is also no indication that Zach Lavine will leave after two years and XRM will stay for all four years.

awberke
05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Many of the "old folks" you sneer at have raised kids of their own, and been intimately involved with their childrens' team sports. In the thousands of hours and hundreds of games they've devoted to supporting their children, there are undoubtedly countless examples where prima donnas are separated from the rest of the pack.

Their existence doesn't qualify a person to label someone else they do not know.

ZagNative
05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
If you don't degrade 17 year old kids on the Internet, please feel free to excuse yourself from the 'all'.I'm confused. I am not finding a post on this thread that came anywhere near degrading a 17 year old. Will you be good enough to direct me to the post or posts you're talking about?

BroncoZAG615
05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm confused. I am not finding a post on this thread that came anywhere near degrading a 17 year old. Will you be good enough to direct me to the post or posts you're talking about?

Saying that a high school kid is a prima donna with no basis, in my mind, is degrading and unnecessary. Also, while it might not be degrading, insinuating that you knew Lavine had zero interest in Gonzaga and was just listing them is just poor form. You have no idea who or what he was considering a few weeks or months ago.

Also, ZN, you've been around here long enough to know some of the stuff people say here about recruits that go to different schools so do me a favor and take the blinders off.

Big picture, I would love it if a high-profile recruit took Gonzaga off his list and there weren't 5-10 posts about "kids wanting to be Zags" and "we want lunch pail type guys" and blah blah blah. Tip your hat, and go on to the next one. Unfortunately, it is all but a dream!

theothegreat21
05-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Well seeing as though Tommy was at all of his games during the last week of the evaluation period, I would think they are interested.

Also, your first paragraph is the exact reason messageboards exist. It's for fans to be able to speculate and discuss recruits and the team. There is certainly a chance Lavine could end up at Gonzaga, whether it be out of high school or as a transfer. As long as no one is saying negative things about him or the staff, who cares if people speculate? That's what makes messageboards fun.

BobZag
05-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I'd love to get LaVine, he's going to be superb. But if GU can't get him, I must admit that I like our other options more than in previous years. As good as Zach is, I feel Xavier is in the same neighborhood.

sittingon50
05-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Go Dodgers.

thebigsmoove
05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I'd love to get LaVine, he's going to be superb. But if GU can't get him, I must admit that I like our other options more than in previous years. As good as Zach is, I feel Xavier is in the same neighborhood.

I think our odds at Xavier are on par with those of getting Zach...Someone like D.J. Fenner strikes me as a more realistic "get" at this point in the process, but maybe thats just me...

theothegreat21
05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
muted 'ding'

louder and clearer 'ding'

We need to have a one or two and done player come through the system every once in a while to keep the status and all that but I am very much more of a fan of long term hustle and heart skilled players... that still win.

Lavine might be a great kid, Daye too, but with the top honors notoriety comes some level of expectation and that easily leads to entitlement. We heard that Daye was a great kid and teammate and we know he was an amazing college player; we also heard a collective sigh of relief from the other players when he was drafted. To paraphrase "we can get back to playing basketball now".

Again, we need players that are good enough to go early, but like was said, we need them to want to be here. Not that I've read it about Lavine but none of this freshman demand for playing time for me.

My wish list is Xavier Rathan-Mayes, DJ Fenner and Kendal Small the year after. Oh and another high praise power forward would be timely too. Looking at the scholarship chart and our current group, we need and are only going to get good recruits that want to be here because playing time is not going to be handed to them from day one.

Please link to any quote about the collective sigh of relief when Daye left. Simply put, I don't believe it ever happened.

BroncoZAG615
05-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I think our odds at Xavier are on par with those of getting Zach...Someone like D.J. Fenner strikes me as a more realistic "get" at this point in the process, but maybe thats just me...

Totally agree. Not sure why folks are talking like he's just sitting in our back pocket.

(cue the XRM isn't Zag material...now)

cjm720
05-23-2012, 08:47 AM
If you don't degrade 17 year old kids on the Internet, please feel free to excuse yourself from the 'all'.

But it's okay to degrade a group where in fact only one poster said anything negative about Lavine? I'm puzzled, frankly, of the superior attitude you and Theo exhibit a lot of the times and this is a great example. I think you guys run a nice site and have some good contributions to this board, but more times than not you talk down to board. Just my opinion.

The funny thing is, I agree with most all of your points in regard to Lavine, it's just the delivery.

cggonzaga
05-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong BZ but I believe Mayes is heading for at least a top 50ranking while LaVine seems to be stuck top 75. Not that rankings mean everything. I think both are great players but Mayes seems to be the better playmaker with the better body and close to equal shooting ability. Also more athletic ability.

BroncoZAG615
05-23-2012, 08:56 AM
But it's okay to degrade a group where in fact only one poster said anything negative about Lavine? I'm puzzled, frankly, of the superior attitude you and Theo exhibit a lot of the times and this is a great example. I think you guys run a nice site and have some good contributions to this board, but more times than not you talk down to board. Just my opinion.

The funny thing is, I agree with most all of your points in regard to Lavine, it's just the delivery.

See, my opinion is that I would rather talk down to a bunch of random Internet posters than to throw out crap and talk poorly about high school kids. I get that my tone comes across as condescending. It is meant to; because I think the way this board discusses certain recruits can at times be sickening.

People may think that Theo and I are overreacting and being rude but this is my attempt (I can't speak for him) to try and curb 10 more of these threads this offseason.

jpwils
05-23-2012, 09:00 AM
seems like this group ( Lavine, Fenner, XRM,) is solid.

Hope we can get one or two but am concerned about their PT.

2015 is senior yr for KP and GBJ- 2016 for Dranginis, right??

Would think playing time is everything to the ones who want to enter NBA after 1-2 seasons. I see Pangos and Bell and Dranginis with huge upsides and am excited about the horses we currently have in the barn.

Seems like Lavine is listening to higher majors but we could win out either initially or after 1-2 years. SEEMS like type of guy who enjoys being one of biggest fish but I don't know him that well....would he be a PG or SG or combo??

I think our staff is doing an outstanding job both in recruitment and in managing the expectations of talented student-athletes. Not easy!!

hooter73
05-23-2012, 09:03 AM
it is a really good point that no one can say which player would be a 4 year or which would leave early. Harris is as good of an example of that as anyone.

75Zag
05-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Too bad about Levine but the sun will rise tomorrow and life will go on.

I do not claim to be an expert in college recruiting, but Mayes appears to be rocketing up in the rankings and I think he may be a top 20 - 30 ranked recruit by the end of this summer and I think it is very unlikely GU has a shot at him. His Canadian AAU team CIA Bounce is the current darling of the AAU circuit. Wiggins and Ennis are the superstars on Bounce, but Mayes is attracting a ton of elite school attention.

For those living in the Bay Area, CIA Bounce is participating in a Nike Elite event there this weekend. The event is at a gym in Hayward and I think the Bounce plays their first game on Friday night - 8 or 9 pm. Google Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (Nike EYBL) if you are interested.

Go Bulldogs!

cjm720
05-23-2012, 09:10 AM
People may think that Theo and I are overreacting and being rude but this is my attempt (I can't speak for him) to try and curb 10 more of these threads this offseason.

But you, and now me, have changed the tone of the initial post. Only one poster mentioned Lavine as a prima donna (never heard that before, unfounded IMO) and IMO it would have been glossed over and re-directed to other options (such as X, unrealistic IMO) and the Lavine ship would have sailed.

So point is, 10 more of these threads should exist...off-season, recruiting, the AAU circuit is the life blood of a fanatic.

ZAGGED OUT
05-23-2012, 09:12 AM
See, my opinion is that I would rather talk down to a bunch of random Internet posters than to throw out crap and talk poorly about high school kids. I get that my tone comes across as condescending. It is meant to; because I think the way this board discusses certain recruits can at times be sickening.

When the people of the boards are a big part of SSF's visits, maybe being condescending isn't the best choice. You guys have been around before any other Zag fan sites (that I'm aware of), it'd be a shame to see you alienate your fan base. I agree with a lot of your points, but I also agree with the "delivery" comment

MDABE80
05-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Not sure why a fight's breaking out over a kid who will be at UCLA......but not at GU. SSF guys .........good service but touchy today.

We do have a few good options outside of Lavine. Lavine knows we want him. He apparently (per CDC's list) doesn't want us. Happens every year. Staff has a couple of kids in sight. No reason to fuss..........let's move on. I do like Zach though ( drat!!)

hooter73
05-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Now no chance at Lavine or XRM... oh man what a bad day we are having.

Forgot Wright on my want list.

former1dog
05-23-2012, 09:26 AM

+1,000,000

Honestly!

I'm sure some of you guys/gals were athletes at some time. Even if a kid does have a bad attitude, the work that goes into being a great athlete should give you pause into calling that athlete's character into question.

ZAGGED OUT
05-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Now no chance at Lavine or XRM... oh man what a bad day we are having.

Forgot Wright on my want list.

Haven't heard much on XRM, we're out of the running on him now?

gamagin
05-23-2012, 09:48 AM

if you want my respect, you butt heads, & take on, the individual poster who has offended you. That post that riled you up is and was offensive, imo. Moreso after you listed the facts as you know them.

I venture to suggest a number of readers (me included) agreed with everything you said except the the use of a stink bomb instead of a quick, targeted punch & the unwarranted general lecture.

Rolling a molotov cocktail into the crowd to make your point about one post and poster is in poor form. I think you are also peeing in your own (potential) pool in the process, fwiw.

CDC84
05-23-2012, 09:59 AM
I still think Gonzaga has a better chance of getting XRM at this point than Lavine. Doesn't mean he is in GU's back pocket. Especially because of his location and the fact that Kentucky is hovering around.

hooter73
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Haven't heard much on XRM, we're out of the running on him now?

according to this thread we never did have a shot with him.

BroncoZAG615
05-23-2012, 10:24 AM
if you want my respect, you butt heads, & take on, the individual poster who has offended you. That post that riled you up is and was offensive, imo. Moreso after you listed the facts as you know them.

I venture to suggest a number of readers (me included) agreed with everything you said except the the use of a stink bomb instead of a quick, targeted punch & the unwarranted general lecture.

Rolling a molotov cocktail into the crowd to make your point about one post and poster is in poor form. I think you are also peeing in your own (potential) pool in the process, fwiw.

I appreciate and understand your points, I truly do. I'd say a couple things:

1. My apologies for offending those by including 'all'. It should have been directed at spywhozagged and ZagNative one of which threw out the prima donna vs. lunch pail thing (which will cause me to post everytime) and the other who maintained that we get hitched to too many recruits who don't have interest. I maintain that these are two theories thrown out each and every offseason by numerous posters but 'all' may have been strong.

2. The minute when our website traffic correlates with my income will be the day when you see me kissing everyone's rear end. As a realist, I know that will never happen so you'll likely continue to see similar posts when recruits get discussed in a bad or incomplete light with no basis.

ZAGGED OUT
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
according to this thread we never did have a shot with him.

There was a previous thread on XRM in which he stated that Gonzaga was atleast a school of interest, and I thought that SSF had said/tweeted that we offered him. Maybe that was wrong?

ZagLawGrad
05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Just stopping by to say hi. Enjoying the offseason. Carry on.

ZagNative
05-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Good grief, Theo and Bronco! What a tempest in a teapot over so little! Much, much ado. And the condescending tone is over the top.

BobZag
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM

That's why I really like the options the staff is lining up. If not LaVine, then Xavier. If not Xavier, then Fenner. I also really like the Coleman kid who may or may not transfer here from Providence. Love all these quality options. Nab just one of them, which I think we will.

zagfan07
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I also really like the Coleman kid who may or may not transfer here from Providence.

:eek:

Who's this Coleman kid you speak of?

NEC26
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Good grief, Theo and Bronco! What a tempest in a teapot over so little! Much, much ado. And the condescending tone is over the top.

Agreed, and its not like its the first time either. It gets old.

DADoZAG
05-23-2012, 11:48 AM

I couldn't remember either, but did a search and found him discussed several times in this thread;

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=40172&highlight=coleman

Go ZAGS!

ZagaZags
05-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Gerard Coleman is a transfer from Providence. Still nobody knows where he will land.

75Zag
05-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Has Coleman visited GU? He (reportedly) left Providence because they had a coaching change and Coleman does not like the new coach, which is fine, but I am curious as to the connection between Coleman and GU. He is from Boston and only showed interest in East Coast schools coming out of high school.

Go Bulldogs!

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2012, 12:29 PM
There are only a finite number of ways to react to player committing to another school (in no particular order):

1)He is fat and ugly anyway (aka the Zag Material/Prima Donna defense)
2)Few sucks at recruiting
3)He's just not that into you
4)Which way to the Foo, again?

This also applies when you are shot down my a woman. I have traditionally taken approach #3, but #4 has become more appealing lately. I think as soon as people figure out that people will have these reactions every time a recruit spurns us for some uglier guy with a worse job (but has some appeal, perhaps access to weed), there will be contentious threads such as this is turning into. If a recruit doesn't want to be here, it's not the end of the world, as there are plenty of fish in the sea that want to wear Zags uniforms. Few and Co are working hard at finding the best fit for the program (which does not always correlate to the number of stars by their name) and they must overcome some shortcomings when it comes to the location and conference of the school. It's amazing that we have been as successful as we have been, and I am thankful for that.

Hogan
05-23-2012, 12:31 PM
For myself only, if I'm completely honest, I can get caught up in judging an extremely talented high school player, with some playground in his game, as not being Zag material. ( Only after he has rejected us, of course.) I appreciate being reminded how inappropriate this is.

zagfan07
05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I couldn't remember either, but did a search and found him discussed several times in this thread;

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=40172&highlight=coleman

Go ZAGS!

Thanks for the info. I usually stop following threads after they get over 3 pages long, as they usually start getting hijacked by people either talking about tacos or how someone's not "Zag material."

Should have used the Search function...

ZagaZags
05-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I wonder if Zach likes tacos.

ZagaZags
05-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I hear we have a magic Taco Bell that makes recruits want to come to Gonzaga.

Norwester
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
2. The minute when our website traffic correlates with my income will be the day when you see me kissing everyone's rear end. As a realist, I know that will never happen so you'll likely continue to see similar posts when recruits get discussed in a bad or incomplete light with no basis.

So, does this mean that you're going to start commenting with equal vigor when posters on your site post stupid s#!t? Some of the regular and prolific posters on SSF post stuff that is equally if not more outrageous (or down right dumb).

Demetri Awesome
05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Lavine is a sweet point guard, but he seems a little arrogant. He's going to be a great player, and he'll go to the Pac12 and be an average player. Go ahead and attack my comment I feel it coming on. My point is Gonzaga would develop him into a star and its simply too bad for Zach. Sure the WCC isn't the Pac12, but Gonzaga plays the best every year and sometimes the Pac12 is pretty weak.

zagitarious
05-23-2012, 01:07 PM
There are only a finite number of ways to react to player committing to another school (in no particular order):

1)He is fat and ugly anyway (aka the Zag Material/Prima Donna defense)
2)Few sucks at recruiting
3)He's just not that into you
4)Which way to the Foo, again?

This also applies when you are shot down my a woman. I have traditionally taken approach #3, but #4 has become more appealing lately. I think as soon as people figure out that people will have these reactions every time a recruit spurns us for some uglier guy with a worse job (but has some appeal, perhaps access to weed), there will be contentious threads such as this is turning into. If a recruit doesn't want to be here, it's not the end of the world, as there are plenty of fish in the sea that want to wear Zags uniforms. Few and Co are working hard at finding the best fit for the program (which does not always correlate to the number of stars by their name) and they must overcome some shortcomings when it comes to the location and conference of the school. It's amazing that we have been as successful as we have been, and I am thankful for that.

+1

realtydog
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Lavine is a sweet point guard, but he seems a little arrogant. He's going to be a great player, and he'll go to the Pac12 and be an average player. Go ahead and attack my comment I feel it coming on. My point is Gonzaga would develop him into a star and its simply too bad for Zach. Sure the WCC isn't the Pac12, but Gonzaga plays the best every year and sometimes the Pac12 is pretty weak.

we are homers for our loved GU...period...if I were 18 and UCLA came calling it would be my top choice...I mean have you spent anytime on campus or in the village of westwood? it is very large but awsome---placing BCS programs at the top of the list does not make you a prima donna---would you rather play football at Boise State or USC, Alabama, etc...--in the words of a wise man "it is what it is"

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM
How about top 30 recruit vs top 75 recruit? Not sure what you are basing this on...

I'm not the one who said it, or thinks it. I was trying to interpret his meaning. I might be right, I might be wrong.

gamagin
05-23-2012, 01:50 PM
GU doesn't have the basketball history & lore that a school like UCLA has. No one else does.

It's an obstacle if the same recruit is considering one or the other. A perception, as you point out, of a storied program versus Cinderella. A big one. It's akin to tugging on Superman's cape.

My hope is that as the Zag program continues to succeed, and at some point, the honor of being considered and then playing for GU would become as important in modern times as it was to sign with a sure winner like UCLA in its heyday.

Meantime, being included on the list with someone who is considering offers from both schools, is a long, long ways from just a few short years ago. The gap, imo, is narrowing. But it's a big gap.

To be continued.

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2012, 01:50 PM
I appreciate and understand your points, I truly do. I'd say a couple things:

1. My apologies for offending those by including 'all'. It should have been directed at spywhozagged and ZagNative one of which threw out the prima donna vs. lunch pail thing (which will cause me to post everytime) and the other who maintained that we get hitched to too many recruits who don't have interest. I maintain that these are two theories thrown out each and every offseason by numerous posters but 'all' may have been strong.

Dude, you're a moron. You're combative and condescending. I have never once called AD or ZL a prima dona, nor do I think that they are. I was trying to interpret what theothergreatone meant in his post. I was under the impression that my intent was pretty apparent; but apparently not. For someone who writes a blog and relies on communication skills to garner attention, your communications skills are pretty sub par. As another poster already said, you have a pattern of making snide, condescending comments towards anyone that has an opinion that differs from your own.

Demetri Awesome
05-23-2012, 02:58 PM
we are homers for our loved GU...period...if I were 18 and UCLA came calling it would be my top choice...I mean have you spent anytime on campus or in the village of westwood? it is very large but awsome---placing BCS programs at the top of the list does not make you a prima donna---would you rather play football at Boise State or USC, Alabama, etc...--in the words of a wise man "it is what it is"

I've been to the UCLA campus and yes its pretty sweet. I'm not saying he is a prima donna for picking BCS schools, I just think his attitude is not that of a typical GU player. A lot of these kids have big heads because their idolized at an early age. I simply don't recall a lot of GU point guards coming across like Lavine. He definitely seems like a UW/UCLA product. Im happy with guys like Pangos (talent and character). Would I take Lavine... hell yes. I'm sorry but Gonzaga has a pretty sweet campus too. Now I know where all my moneys going. Best of a luck to Lavine in LaLa land.

gu03alum
05-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I've been to the UCLA campus and yes its pretty sweet. I'm not saying he is a prima donna for picking BCS schools, I just think his attitude is not that of a typical GU player. A lot of these kids have big heads because their idolized at an early age. I simply don't recall a lot of GU point guards coming across like Lavine. He definitely seems like a UW/UCLA product. Im happy with guys like Pangos (talent and character). Would I take Lavine... hell yes. I'm sorry but Gonzaga has a pretty sweet campus too. Now I know where all my moneys going. Best of a luck to Lavine in LaLa land.

How do you know he doesn't have good character? These posts are ridiculous.

MDABE80
05-23-2012, 03:22 PM
This one began innocently enough. It might be time to call it a day. Good luck to Zach. Just the tenor of this thread has spiraled into some place near Mars. Might be time to avoid calling names, making enemies, etc. Not much left to say on this one.