PDA

View Full Version : The X-Factor: Kelly Olynyk

thebigsmoove
05-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Our canadian correspondent has posted an excellent write up on KO, come check it out:

KO Write Up (http://www.zagaholic.com/2012/05/x-factor-kelly-olynyk.html)

cjm720
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Good write up. Like the blog.

Pumped for KO this coming year!

thebigsmoove
05-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Good write up. Like the blog.

Pumped for KO this coming year!

I know right? Its like getting a transfer in that he is already more experienced than most, but its even better because he knows the offense, he knows the players and should step right in and make a seamless transition into the offense. I think he will garner more PT than Karnowski at Center for now...

Birddog
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Shouldn't the thread title be the "O" Factor?

former1dog
05-21-2012, 03:41 PM
When we attended the BYU game, I saw something that really surprised me.

At the start of the second half the starting players had a huddle to themselves before they walked out to start play. No coaches. Just the players and KO in street clothes. KO was leading the huddle, firing up his teammates.

I took away from that that KO was a leader.

thebigsmoove
05-21-2012, 03:52 PM
When we attended the BYU game, I saw something that really surprised me.

At the start of the second half the starting players had a huddle to themselves before they walked out to start play. No coaches. Just the players and KO in street clothes. KO was leading the huddle, firing up his teammates.

I took away from that that KO was a leader.

Its great to see a guy who lost his season turn it into something worthwhile and still be part of the fabric of the team. Truly a great team first guy!

JPtheBeasta
05-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Its great to see a guy who lost his season turn it into something worthwhile and still be part of the fabric of the team. Truly a great team first guy!

We are quick to project our thoughts and emotions onto a player. I remember people saying that he should leave if he didn't get playing time. KO will be remembered as a great Zag for the way he handled this whole thing, and hopefully for what he does on the court the next few years, as well.

Reborn
05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I've always liked Kelly, and he has been waiting patiently for his time, which will be these next two years. I am one who looks for great things from Kelly next season. Im sure his redshirt year really helped him alot. I agree with the artilcle that said Kelly and Elias will play good together and I believe that. Dower shoots almost everytime he gets the ball which I feel really has hurt Ellias. I think Elias should be our #1 go to guy this year. Not SAm. The artilce really does say a lot of good things about KO and I agree...the rebounding, the passing, the hustle. Im putting my money on KO.

Rangerzag
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM

I do not at all see it as a lost season. Not at all.

ZAGGED OUT
05-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Lost season?? He did the exact opposite, he gained a season.

willandi
05-22-2012, 08:39 AM

And possibly an advanced degree!

thebigsmoove
05-22-2012, 03:36 PM

man you guys are feisty,

Perhaps i didnt elaborate as well as i should have. I dont mean he lost eligibility, i meant that he lost the playing time he would have accumulated last season. Its unusual for guys to redshirt mid career unless they get seriously injured (torn ACL, broken leg, etc.). Guys like Kelly who have the talent to play at other D1 programs have a tendency of transferring and using their redshirt in that way rather than waiting at the current program for another year only to be back in a cluttered frontcourt where questions remain about playing time. Im merely asserting that Kelly should be praised for his willingness to find a role during his redshirt year and for his patience even amidst questions about playing time. He is a true hard worker and a consummate team player. Hope that cleared this up. Sorry for the confusion.