PDA

View Full Version : Kelly O

GUnawinit
05-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Is anyone here excited as me to see what this young man will bring to the court next year?

I believe it's been one of Coach Few's best decisions Red Shirting Kelly....

KO, "E" , Pangs , Bell Jr, and a tight bench ......forget about it St. Mary's and the mouthpiece

GU will own the WCC....next season

VaBeachZAG
05-19-2012, 04:55 AM
As with all Zags faithful, I hope we streak unscathed through the WCC. However, I fear BYU may have a lot to say about who wins the conference since they will have some quality new talent (new recruits and several returning from missions) to go with a good core of returnees. I am guessing it will be a two team race for the championship between GU and BYU with SMC as a distant third playing the role of dark horse/spoiler.

bostonzagfan
05-19-2012, 07:28 AM
who does BYU have?

BobZag
05-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Looking forward to seeing Kelly play again.

tinfoilzag
05-19-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm most interested to see how he has improved his core strength, and with that, body control.

He is going to have to switch off of screens and change shots without fouling because teams are going to go at him off the dribble.

If he still picks up the cheap fouls, we won't get the advantage of his offensive skills. 7' passer with range that runs the floor is a nightmare matchup for the other team.

I'm very excited to see what KO does this year.

hondo
05-19-2012, 09:27 AM
How in the world can anyone consider the defending league champion (who return a the league MVP and a ton of other talent) a distant 3rd in the WCC.
They beat us 2 out of 3.

TheGonzagaFactor
05-19-2012, 10:45 AM
How in the world can anyone consider the defending league champion (who return a the league MVP and a ton of other talent) a distant 3rd in the WCC.
They beat us 2 out of 3.

With the third in overtime.. that was a wash. GU won a game in the tournament and SMC didn't because that league MVP wasn't good enough to put up a shot in the last minute against a middle of the pack Big Ten team. We were the better team. SMC will not improve as much as us and that is why we will smash them three times, especially if they play anyone relevant in the OOC to expose them.

rijman
05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
There's a lot to be excited about next season and KO is one of the players I'm looking forward to seeing. KO is a smart player and he's had a season of practice going against Sacre, so I'm expecting he'll be stronger and tougher with improved post skills. GU has a lot of good to very good players, I just hope the team gels early in the season.

OZZY
05-19-2012, 03:25 PM
From what I have heard;

-His Redshirt year was extremely beneficial. A year of focussing on improving footwork and post play has really paid off.

-During practices he was often the best big on the floor.

What we know:

-Shooting, passing and basketball IQ all strengths.

-He's 7' tall and now a solid 245 lb.

-Translation of basketball skill to game situations for first two years somewhat hampered by his body not being fully cooperative with his mind.

-Rob Sacre's heir apparent as the emotional leader of the Zags. A hustle player in a 7' body.

-He has the potential to have a major impact with his guard skillset in a power foward's body.

What I hope.

KO collectively combines with Elias, his best friend Sam, and the Karnivore to be the most effective front line in College basketball and lead the team deep into March.

GO GU!

HOOTER
05-19-2012, 08:40 PM
KO collectively combines with Elias, his best friend Sam, and the Karnivore to be the most effective front line in College basketball and lead the team deep into March.

GO GU!

Stop...you're getting me just a little too pumped for this early in the year.

bostonzagfan
05-19-2012, 08:40 PM
It is going to be interesting to see who starts along side Elias next season. I think KO might be the answer because Dower is best used when the touches go to him on offense. Having that type of player on the second unit is huge because most backups are not big scoring threats.

Pangos/Bell/Edi/Harris/KO don't need Dower's scoring,
but
Stockton/Dranginis/Hart/Dower/PK would.

Typing that out just made me realize someone is going to get carter'ed next season.

Oregonzagnut
05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
If Kelly is significantly better than in 2010-11, I wouldn't mind if Karno redshirts.

GUnawinit, good to see you're back!

-He has the potential to have a major impact with his guard skillset in a power foward's body.

I never understood why people say KO has a power forwards body. 6-8-6-10 yes. 7.0? That is a center all the way in my book. Even in the NBA, most true 7 fters are 5's that sometimes play the 4, and some 6'10 guys play the 5 but only if they have the true size to control the post.

Kelly will control the post and I bet he controls Karno too. For the first year anyway. But we'll see! CANT WAIT!!!!

Nevada Don
05-20-2012, 11:03 AM
They beat us 2 out of 3.

Nice to see a post that gives a little respect to last years WCC Champion. If I were solely a Zag fan I would share (and do) Gonzaga's optimism for next year. However, I expect the Gaels to be improved next year for numerous reasons which I can list if anyone is interested.

Gonzaga and Saint Mary's have a great rivalry which I expect to continue in the coming years. As much fun as it is to speculate, it will be decided when the games are played.

I am an SMC alumnus. I love college basketball, especially the WCC. I have the utmost respect for Gonzaga. I admire the enthusiasm of this thread as evidenced by my reading most every post with multiple daily visits.

It's going to be an exciting year.

awberke
05-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Nice to see a post that gives a little respect to last years WCC Champion. If I were solely a Zag fan I would share (and do) Gonzaga's optimism for next year. However, I expect the Gaels to be improved next year for numerous reasons which I can list if anyone is interested.

You don't need permission to speak your mind.

HOOTER
05-20-2012, 03:33 PM
You don't need permission to speak your mind.

Agreed. Lay it on us.

jim77
05-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Our frontline is nasty and DEEP. KO will be the x-factor. I'd have him at the 3 at times even if it meant we had to zone to do it. We can simply go over the top of folks...I hope KP and DS are practicing their "feeds"......the other teams will attempt to counter most of our weapons...KO will be their BIG problem.

WallaWallaZag
05-20-2012, 07:02 PM
With the third in overtime.. that was a wash. GU won a game in the tournament and SMC didn't because that league MVP wasn't good enough to put up a shot in the last minute against a middle of the pack Big Ten team. We were the better team. SMC will not improve as much as us and that is why we will smash them three times, especially if they play anyone relevant in the OOC to expose them.

smc was basically playing without their #3 guy holt (and #1 defender) for the latter part of the season...and they still beat the zags in the wcc tournament.

Nevada Don
05-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I have no technical basketball expertise. I have followed the Gaels for many years. I apologize for not being able to post links for the some of the new players.

What's new for 2012 ?

Although no official announcements, the Gaels suposedly had three available scholarships. They have added:

Chris Reyes, an early signee 6'7" freshman small forward from SoCal. He is expected to be a contributor as a freshman.

James Walker is a 6'3" guard JC transfer from Citrus JC. He was originally signed and played one year as a true freshman for Utah. Walker was "named co-player of the year for California JC's last year". Good numbers, loves to drive the basket and shoots a lot of FT's. A good kid and a quiet team leader at Citrus.

Garrett Jackson will redshirt this year as a transfer from USC. As a forward, he had decent numbers at the end of his sophomore season. He played high school ball in Oregon.

A note on 2013. Signed (committed) 6'5" guard Cullen Neal from New Mexico. Great numbers. His dad is an assistant coach at New Mexico State. It's also rumored that the Gaels have another Aussie coming in for 2013, unnamed.

Back to 2012

The Guards

Last year the Gaels had three guards available and one redshirt freshman. Delly, Stephen Holt and Jordan Page. This year they will add James Walker, Paul McCoy (back from injuries) and redshirt freshman Matt Guisti. Walker will demand minutes and Guisti gets rave reviews. So lots of depth this year and hopefully enough minutes to go around.

New Bigs

There is a lot of anticipation for transfer Matt Hodgson, a 6'11" Aussie who sat out last season as a redshirt transfer from Southern Utah. Supposedly his wing span is out of this world. He's gotten some rave reviews from other Gael players. Coming back from injuries is 6'9" Junior Tim Williams. As mentioned, freshman Chris Reyes is thought to be a contributor as a freshman.

Bigs

6'9" Brad Waldow will be a sophomore. He had a pretty good freshman season. 6'9" Aussie Mitchell Young will be senior and played considerable minutes with some good games. Seeing some playing time last season and part of the rotation will be 7'0" senior Kyle Rowley, 6'6" Junior small foward Beau Levesque who got good minutes last season.

Who's gone from 2011 ?

Clint Steindl, Kenton Walker and most importantly, Rob Jones.

Overview

For 2012, the Gaels appear to be a guard dominated team with excellent depth and strong newcomers in Walker, McCoy (back from injury) and Matt Guisti. Will Delly have another great year? Will Holt makes further strides after an excellent sophomore 2011 season? Is James Walker a game changer? You'll obviously see a lot of three guard offense from the Gaels.

Will Brad Waldow improve after a solid freshman year? How much will Matt Hodgson add to the mix and will he live up to certain expectations? Is Chris Reyes a player as expected, even as a freshman? Lots of questions but no different than most other teams until you see them on the court. A big question is can the Gaels replace Rob Jones' rebounding? Tough to do.

I do think the Gaels will be better in 2012. The only major loss was Rob Jones in my opinion. I think the guards are much improved and they were pretty good last year. The Bigs will be sufficient, better than last year. Probably lots of rotation without one standout player (on paper).

Do the Gaels have enough to keep pace with the Zags? I guess we will find out in Spokane and Moraga.

Thanks for welcoming me to make some comments about the Gaels for 2012.

ZagNative
05-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Nevada Don! Appreciate your perspective.

JPtheBeasta
05-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Weren't Neal and Reyes both guys that had some interest from GU?

Anyway, I can't sleep on SMC as long as Delly is running the pick and roll down there. I don't really feel like we have figured out a way to defend it. I like our team, but SMC is the champion until someone (preferrably us, of course) takes it away.

Nevada Don
05-20-2012, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=JPtheBeasta;796210]Weren't Neal and Reyes both guys that had some interest from GU?

Rivals indicates that Reyes was offered by Gonzaga on October 8th, 2011 along with SMC, UCSB and Boston College.

Nevada Don
05-20-2012, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=JPtheBeasta;796210]Weren't Neal and Reyes both guys that had some interest from GU?

Found this article from SSF dated Oct. 14, 2011

2013 guard Cullen Neal reportedly visiting Gonzaga this weekend
by Zach Bell on Oct 14, 2011 9:56 AM PDT

What feels just as good to write is that Mark Few reportedly has a Rivals Top 150 player coming to campus this weekend for an unofficial visit. Cullen Neal, a 6'4'' guard from New Mexico, will be in Spokane as the Bulldogs open up their 2011-12 journey.

Neal currently holds offers from Arizona State, Oregon State, Portland, San Francisco, and Tulane. He has already taken unofficial visits to Stanford, St. Mary's, and Oregon State. The combo guard is the son of New Mexico assistant coach Craig Neal and, yes, he is receiving interest from them as well. In addition to the Lobos, he is getting interest from a number of WCC & Pac-12 schools but has also heard from Tennessee, Florida State, and Vanderbilt.

As the son of a coach, the first attribute that comes to mind when watching Cullen play is his excellent knowledge of the game. He has a great feel for basketball and is a guy that is constantly in the right place at the right time. Scout.com's July, 2011 profile of him offered some great quotes from his AAU coach:

He's a very versatile scorer," Snow said. "He scores in so many different ways; he can hit a three off a screen, three off the dribble in transition, he can get to the basket, he gets to the free throw line 7 to 10 times a game, he makes good decisions with the ball, but primarily he's a tremendous scorer."

"The biggest thing is he's a really invested kid," Snow said. "He eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. He understands the game on an intellectual level."

We will continue to track Neal's recruitment and provide updates as they happen. Neal is the second 2013 high-major gurad prospect with reported Zag interest. Zach Lavine, a Seattle product is also a primary focus of the cycle.

dnj116
05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Yep. Gonzaga had (at one point at least) interest in both those recruits. I guess now we'll be able to see how they develop elsewhere. . .