PDA

View Full Version : Referees go back to school to re-learn how to call block/charge plays

CDC84
05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I would suggest reading the entire article......

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-05-17/referees-thankfully-go-back-to-school-to-re-learn-how-to-call-blockcharge-plays

If you suspected charging calls had gotten out of hand in college basketball, you probably discerned by now you were not alone. ESPN analyst Jay Bilas has been vocal on the subject. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo told Sporting News during the season he was so weary of seeing charges called he no longer taught the play to his Spartans.

You might be surprised to learn the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee also is on your side. They agree: There are too many charges being called.

And they have proof.

Grading of referees for the 2012 NCAA Tournament showed they got an impressive 90 percent of all calls correct — even though they got block/charge calls right only 65 percent of the time, NCAA referees coordinator John Adams told Sporting News this week.

That’s one reason the rules committee is reasserting guidelines on what constitutes a charge and asking for referees to be re-educated on how the play should be called. It will be one of the most important points covered this fall at the NCAA’s four regional refereeing seminars; all college basketball referees must attend one session to be eligible to work the NCAA Tournament.

The rules committee specified four guidelines for the charge/block call it believes must be emphasized as referees are re-educated regarding such plays:

Since becoming the coordinator of referees in 2008, Adams has championed the proper enforcement of “legal guarding position” as a standard measure of whether a defender should be awarded a charging call.

“To be in legal guarding position, I have to have both feet on the floor for an instant and face my opponent," he said. "After that, I can move to maintain legal guarding position — laterally, backwards. What I cannot do is move up into a dribbler or move at an angle into a dribbler.

“I see help defenders that are never legal, never had both feet on their floor facing the opponent, cutting off the dribble the moment the dribbler arrives and making contact. And we call that a charge.

“We’re still right more than we’re wrong. I’d like to see our percentages on correct calls as high with the block/charge as with the other calls we’re making.”

DCZag
05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Check the links halfway down the page GBJ ranked #10 SG in country and EH #8 PF.

willandi
05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
So, if you are in the defensive end of the court, at the free throw line, standing still and facing that basket, you are not in a legal defensive position. The ball handler can run into your back and get a blocking call against you? Or am I mis-reading this somehow?

webspinnre
05-17-2012, 02:41 PM
So, if you are in the defensive end of the court, at the free throw line, standing still and facing that basket, you are not in a legal defensive position. The ball handler can run into your back and get a blocking call against you? Or am I mis-reading this somehow?

Running into a person's back is always going to be a foul, so far as I know. Just not a charge.

mee755
05-17-2012, 04:43 PM
I think the referees could use a refresher every year.

ZagDaddy
05-17-2012, 05:18 PM
The issue I've heard is the charging arc under the basket. This has resulted in referees becoming overly dependent on it to the exclusion of all other parameters of a charge.

In other words, officials tend to only look at if the defensive player is inside or outside of the arc and overlook whether the player is moving or has established position. I've heard coaches say during the season that they HATE the arc because of this. Kudos to the NCAA for addressing it.

kitzbuel
05-17-2012, 05:34 PM
I would hate to see them simply just call blocks instead of charges. There were a lot of charges that needed to be no calls.

MDABE80
05-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Nice ideas but the refs still and will always make subjective calls. Was the foot moving? Oh ok...by how much.
Did he have position? "Define POSITION"... Well....depends on how long he had "postition"..ok...how long is necessary... and on and on.

I agree there are too many charging calls...we at GU have the best floppers in the college ranks. Still though...nothing firm and fast in the rules will change the one big thing: Judgement.

mnzag24
05-18-2012, 04:42 AM
as long as Libby doesnt lead the class/clinic this sounds like a good idea.

Zag79
05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Love seeing this. The poor charge vs block calls can, and do ruin good games all the way up to the pro level. Less charges, more hoops please.

75Zag
05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
GU has a history of skilled floppers. A focus by the NCAA on reducing the number of charging calls could cost GU 1 - 2 possessions per game, and perhaps decrease GU scoring by 2 - 3 points per game. If I was a BCS team that thrived on a raw power offense I would welcome a reduction in charging calls. Not so sure GU should welcome this as a team, although as a fan I would be happy to see the flow of play continue without ticky-tacky charging calls.

Go Bulldogs!