PDA

View Full Version : NCAA basketball rules committee recommends no stickers on courts

CDC84
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-05-14/center-court-logos-ncaa-basketball-rules-committee#ixzz1ut1e9jhB

Writing for NCAA.org, Greg Johnson said this is “non-rules change” year for the committee but that members felt compelled to recommend the change be implemented for 2012-13 because it affects player safety. The change would need to be approved by the playing rules oversight panel, which meets by conference call June 12.

The committee is not opposing on-court advertising but is asking that it be consistent with the court surface.

Most advertising stickers are placed on courts for exempt events or conference tournaments.

Reborn
05-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Amen to this one.

bballbeachbum
05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Amen indeed.

good on them to act and not wait

rijman
05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
I agree with this change. Stickers are bad for everyone, including the advertiser. The advertiser at the WCC tourney couldn't have been pleased with all the negative discussion of sticker and player safety. The arena has to sell safer advertising that benefits everyone.

zagapotomus
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Why not use the electronic "stickers" you see during soccer games? It wouldn't be seen by the crowd but I'm guessing they're more interested in TV time anyways.

pazag
05-14-2012, 06:28 PM
you need a green background to put messages on the screen. This is why you only see them at soccer games, 1st down line for football. Baseball often has a green board behind home plate for messages.

ridgebackzag
05-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Hopefully it was a strong recommendation. If the NCAA still wants everyone to think they are about the kids and not the money, this rule will come to fruition. I understand a decal is cheaper than flooring, but they could keep the decals if they made a removable circle of hardwood in the floors. I know what they can do with laser cutting.

kitzbuel
05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
you need a green background to put messages on the screen. This is why you only see them at soccer games, 1st down line for football. Baseball often has a green board behind home plate for messages.
How do they get those lines to work with BSU's field?

Oregonzagnut
05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
No stinkers on the court? We get all new referees for the next season! Finally a ruling that really matters! Now if they could only get rid of those stickers.

SWZag
05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Too bad it's all about money and the need for so much advertising...

SWZag

zagitarious
05-14-2012, 11:40 PM
The W.C.C. semi's must have sealed the deal on this one.

gamagin
05-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Like a primitive, stupid, solution the first time someone slipped. IF a sign is wanted/needed, it could be digitally placed anywhere without posing a physical danger.

CDC84
05-15-2012, 09:54 AM
The other thing about the stickers is that they are often an eye sore. They can make a basketball court really ugly.

75Zag
05-15-2012, 10:01 AM
The game on the aircraft carrier was a disaster with the stickers.

Any decent digital television broadcast operation can project LOGOs onto a television picture without the need to have actual stickers on the court. I know that some podunk broadcasters lack the technology, but the NCAA should not risk player safety to support the few podunk broadcast operations that can't project LOGOs.

TheGonzagaFactor
05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Good. I was amazed there were no injuries in the WCC semi vs. BYU.

DADoZAG
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Good. I was amazed there were no injuries in the WCC semi vs. BYU.

Didn't a BYU player pull a groin muscle in the first half? I believe he was the first to illustrate the danger at mid court.

Good decision by the NCAA. They'd better be careful, making good decisions might become a habit.

Go ZAGS!

U Zig, I Zag
05-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Didn't a BYU player pull a groin muscle in the first half?

It was the first time it had ever been pulled, too.

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

sittingon50
05-16-2012, 02:05 PM
:eek:

NotoriousZ
05-16-2012, 02:07 PM

It was the first time it had ever been pulled, too.

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

Ba-dum-bum. Groin pulls...right up there with fart jokes. Love it!

U Zig, I Zag
05-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Ba-dum-bum. Groin pulls...right up there with fart jokes. Love it!

I am trying my best to raise this place to another level.