PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nash to become Team Canada's new GM

bullzag23
05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
"Captain Canada" is now the GM of the Canadian Men's team:
http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/7904743/steve-nash-phoenix-suns-become-gm-canada-basketball

I know he hasn't played for the team since 2004, but how funny would it be if he selected himself? :D

Also I wonder if he's looking into the college ranks as well to fill the roster?

75Zag
05-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I do not understand international BB. Is Nash the GM of Canada's effort to get to the 2012 Olympics, or is this a different level / effort?

Here is an interesting link to potential 2012 Olympic BB contenders. I didn't see Canada listed as a contender, but maybe I am reading it incorrectly.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/852791-2012-olympic-basketball-ranking-the-teams-who-have-qualified-for-the-tournament#/articles/852791-2012-olympic-basketball-ranking-the-teams-who-have-qualified-for-the-tournament/page/3

ZagNative
05-08-2012, 09:21 AM
No Olympics for Canada. Didn't qualify last summer. Next competition for Canada, per the linked story is 2013, for the FIBA World Championships.

KStyles
05-08-2012, 09:30 AM
I do not understand international BB. Is Nash the GM of Canada's effort to get to the 2012 Olympics, or is this a different level / effort?

Here is an interesting link to potential 2012 Olympic BB contenders. I didn't see Canada listed as a contender, but maybe I am reading it incorrectly.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/852791-2012-olympic-basketball-ranking-the-teams-who-have-qualified-for-the-tournament#/articles/852791-2012-olympic-basketball-ranking-the-teams-who-have-qualified-for-the-tournament/page/3

I believe Canada was eliminated from contention for a 2012 Olympic spot when they failed to finish high enough at the FIBA Americas tournament last summer. It sounds like this is just an overall effort to improve Canada's senior national program (the goal of qualifying for the Olympics in 2016 is probably one of his goals, but the FIBA Americas next summer and the FIBA Worlds in 2014 will come again before then).

OZZY
05-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Interesting for Steve to put his hand up. I believe that he has been involved at the board level for several years. I like the possibility of having Jay coach Canada again. Rowan Barrett is also a class act so those three (all having played at the Olympics) should provide Canada with a fantastic group going forward. Look for Greg Francis, who is well known to GU staff, helping out will also be a huge plus for the likes of Kevin and Kelly.

IMHO Canada will qualify for the 2013 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics (and perhaps make the medal round by then).

Some possible names for the Canadian Olympic Team 2016:

Kevin Pangos
Myk Kabongo
Junior Cadougan
Cory Joseph
Brady Heslip (Jay's Nephew)
Andrew Wiggins
Anthony Bennett
Kelly Olynyk
Andrew Nicholson
Tristan Thompson
Robert Sacre

Perhaps even Manny Arop after 2 great seasons with ISU will end up the team as well. That would make four Zags.....

Having Maurizio Gherardini as Managing Director doesn't hurt either.

ZagNative
05-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Hellova team, Ozzy! Kyle Wiltjer not on your list?

OZZY
05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Hellova team, Ozzy! Kyle Wilter not on your list?

I plead momentary lapse of sanity. he should be on the team by then.

Yes Kyle would be more of a Levon Kendall type option for the team. Kendall may be the only current team member (other than those listed) that I could see on the team. I don't see Rautins on the team if Nicholson is.........

Another glaring ommission in Khem Birch, who has played with many of he current youngsters already, hopefully he will do well at UNLV.

There could be couple of guards/wings that may come through as well like Wiggins' brother Xavier, or one of the Ennis brothers...

The future of Canadian International Ball is certainly much better than in the last decade that is for sure.

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Interesting for Steve to put his hand up. I believe that he has been involved at the board level for several years. I like the possibility of having Jay coach Canada again. Rowan Barrett is also a class act so those three (all having played at the Olympics) should provide Canada with a fantastic group going forward. Look for Greg Francis, who is well known to GU staff, helping out will also be a huge plus for the likes of Kevin and Kelly.

IMHO Canada will qualify for the 2013 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics (and perhaps make the medal round by then).

Some possible names for the Canadian Olympic Team 2016:

Kevin Pangos
Myk Kabongo
Junior Cadougan
Cory Joseph
Brady Heslip (Jay's Nephew)
Andrew Wiggins
Anthony Bennett
Kelly Olynyk
Andrew Nicholson
Tristan Thompson
Robert Sacre

Perhaps even Manny Arop after 2 great seasons with ISU will end up the team as well. That would make four Zags.....

Having Maurizio Gherardini as Managing Director doesn't hurt either.

Great minds think alike. This is the potential lineup that I posted on Realgm:

PG: Corey Joseph, Kabongo, Pangos, Tyler Ennis
SG: Devoe Joseph, Brady Heslip, Xavier Rathan Mayes
SF: Andrew Wiggins, Kris Joseph, Kyle Wiltjer
PF: Tristan Thompson, Andrew Nicholson, Anthony Bennett
C: Sacre, Olynyk

ZagNative
05-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Good story here in The Spec (http://www.thespec.com/print/article/720460). Chance that Kevin and maybe Kelly might have the opportunity to work out with Team Canada this summer?
With no Olympics for Canada this summer, Nash and Barrett plan to gather 30 or so of Canada’s best players to begin training toward the 2016 Games. Likely included in that group of young standouts: Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph, both first-round picks in the 2011 NBA draft, Andrew Nicholson, Robert Sacre, Kevin Pangos, Myck Kabongo and high school sensation Andrew Wiggins.
Nash’s stature among the basketball community, Parrish said, has already improved the program’s bank balance.

The team has operated on a budget of between $400,000 and $500,000 a season, while top-10 countries in the world have budgets of between $1 and $2 million. One team boasts a budget of almost $5 million.

Parrish said a group of private donors — known as the “6th Man” — have thrown their financial support behind Nash. The goal is to raise $4 million over the next five years, and Parrish said they’re already halfway there.
Despite his success as a pro, Nash says his fondest memories remain with Canadian teammates.

“Playing for Canada at the Olympics was the greatest experience of my career, bar-none,” he said. “It’s no secret what this country means to me and to be a part of Canada Basketball again is a huge honour and pleasure.

“Now the work starts.”