PDA

View Full Version : Unconfirmed: Judson to be names ISU Coach

ID ZAGFAN
05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Found through Meehan's twitter.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/judson-to-be-named-isu-men-s-basketball-coach/article_4059b0f8-97fb-11e1-a339-001a4bcf887a.html

Not official yet, but good news for Zags fans!

Quote:
NORMAL – The Pantagraph has learned Rob Judson will be named Illinois State’s head basketball coach sometime this week, possibly as early as Monday.

Judson, 54, has been an ISU assistant coach the past five years under Tim Jankovich, who resigned on April 26 to become associate coach/coach-in-waiting for Southern Methodist.

On Monday morning, Todd Kober, ISU's associate athletics director/athletics communication, said no decision has been made and a news conference has not been scheduled.

ISU athletic director Gary Friedman interviewed Judson on Friday. Friedman also interviewed former ISU player Dan Muller, who is an assistant at Vanderbilt under ex-Redbird coach Kevin Stallings, and Gonzaga assistant Ray Giacoletti, a Redbird assistant from 1990-93 under Bob Bender.

ZaGranny

75Zag
05-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I am not sure I agree with the proposition that it is "Good news" when a GU assistant with obvious head coaching credentials is turned down for a head coaching job. I get it that most of the people on this board believe that the only honorable way to leave the GU staff is by dying of old age, but in my mind it is a good thing if assistants contribute to the GU program for a few years and then find their own head coaching spot somewhere. That scenario can help spread the GU brand.

But Whatever.

KStyles
05-07-2012, 10:11 AM
According to Matt Giles over at ESPN, Giacoletti wasn't even in the top two. It sounds like the final decision was between Dan Muller & Rob Judson.

sittingon50
05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm with 75 on this one. Love Ray but he's a Head Coach that needs a job. He's from back in that neck of the woods & has family there. Would have been a good gig for him.

CDC84
05-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry, but Ray is just a better candidate than Judson.

Judson already had his turn at Northern Illinois and failed.

raise the zag
05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry, but Ray is just a better candidate than Judson.

Judson already had his turn at Northern Illinois and failed.

Couldn't agree more; however, has anyone had the opportunity to spend time or meet Coach Gack?

He's a brilliant mind, excellent coach, straight-forward recruiter, yet lacking in the "warmth" or instant connection department. I know this b/c one of my closest buddies played for him for 2.5 years at Utah. He respected him and grew to like him, but took him 2 full years to 'crack the ice' as he said.

This is NOT a slight or criticism, just the way Ray is -- he's beloved by the people or players who GET TO KNOW HIM. However, first impressions aren't his strong suit as he comes off a bit harsh, aloof, and pretty straight edge.

I've heard this from numerous people and many on this board can confirm. Very likable guy for his work ethic, values, and once you are "in", but it takes time.

Guys like Sam Dower chose Gonzaga b/c of Ray, but it seriously takes the right approach and appeal.

Ray G more than deserves a head-coaching gig, but from what I've heard, it may take time until someone gets to really know/understand him...there is a reason, he's very good family friends with Mark Few -- Coach Few is laid back compared to Giacoletti.

My buddies mom still complains about Ray G to this day, but her son admires/respects him, it just. took. time. and an open mind.

CDC84
05-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I've been told that some of the problems Ray is having with these jobs has to do with their location. While he is from Peoria, it's not like has an extensive coaching and recruiting resume based on work he's done in the midwest. Athletic directors tend to look at things like this when hiring for jobs like Illinois State.

Zagcity
05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I am not sure I agree with the proposition that it is "Good news" when a GU assistant with obvious head coaching credentials is turned down for a head coaching job. I get it that most of the people on this board believe that the only honorable way to leave the GU staff is by dying of old age, but in my mind it is a good thing if assistants contribute to the GU program for a few years and then find their own head coaching spot somewhere. That scenario can help spread the GU brand.

But Whatever.

It's a good news bad news thingy :fingergun:

Section 116
05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
According to ESPN the new hire is Vandy assistant Dan Muller:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7902918/illinois-state-redbirds-hires-dan-muller-head-coach

MickMick
05-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Ray will get his shot again. Lately, his name is in the mix every season. Just a matter of time.

I like the concept of GU employment being a resume builder. I'm thinking that it is one of several reasons that Ray joined the staff and similarly, a reason he could be easily replaced by an equally competent coach.