PDA

View Full Version : Smoak

Eroop22
05-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Just wondering when or if we give up on this guy? He is hitting well below the Mendoza line. I just read the post on ussmariner and they paint a pretty bleak picture. Do we have any possible replacements could Liddi play first base on a daily basis? Please don't suggest Carp I am not sold on his ability.

gu03alum
05-07-2012, 09:15 AM
There are reinforcements......in Double A. Poythress is off to a good start. Joe Dunigan leads the Southern League with 7 home runs.

I want Smoak to be good, but at some point you do have to pull the plug. Dave's data shows that it's not him being unlucky. There is something wrong with him and I'm not sure it can be fixed. If he has minor league options I think you send him down to Triple A to work on his ability to recognize and hit off speed pitches. In the meantime (don't hate me) I think you see what you have in Mike Carp and maybe you can flip him at the deadline for a prospect or two.

Eroop22
05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I figured that's what people would say. The sad thing is I have more faith in Smoak than I do in Carp.

gu03alum
05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
I figured that's what people would say. The sad thing is I have more faith in Smoak than I do in Carp.

Smoak definitely has way more upside, but the only one of the two to produce on the field has been Mike Carp. With all of the injuries this year in baseball I'm thinking the M's can get a haul at the trade deadline. They could trade Carp, Ryan, League, Vargas, and Olivo (I hope).

webspinnre
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I agree that they don't exactly have a wealth of choices. Give Carp some playing time at 1st (maybe 2/3 Smoak, 1/3 Carp?), and then a bit more in the OF.