PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Athlete in Washington Sports

gu03alum
05-05-2012, 11:54 AM
There is a great blog post about Walter Jones (http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/5/4/2998910/walter-jones-appreciation-day) and it talks about how Jones may be the greatest athlete Seattle has ever seen. It started me thinking about how I would rank players that I have seen play for the teams I root for.

The thing about Walter Jones is it was hard for the average fan to really gauge his value as pointed out in the blog post.

And remember, the next time somebody asks you "Who was the greatest player you ever saw?" just tell them: "I once went twelve years without noticing Walter Jones."

Watching those Seahawks teams in the mid 2000's I always felt comfortable whenever they ran the ball to the left side. I knew that Alexander was going to get 5 yards. I also always felt comfortable that Matt would not have to worry about blind side rushers. When you really think about it that team never had top tier offensive skill players other than Alexander and that team had one of the best offenses in the NFL each year. Who knows if Alexander was as great as he appeared? I liked him, but never felt like he was on the same level as an LT even though he had similar numbers.

With all that said, here is my list of the greatest athletes I saw play for the teams I root for:

1. Ken Griffey Jr.
2. Shawn Kemp
3. Walter Jones
4. Edgar Martinez - (I can't think of anyone I loved watching hit more than Edgar)
5. Gary Payton
6. Adam Morrison - (I'm not sure if he belongs with these other guys, but he was incredible in college)

I'm curious what everyone else thinks

LongIslandZagFan
05-05-2012, 12:32 PM
There is a great blog post about Walter Jones (http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/5/4/2998910/walter-jones-appreciation-day) and it talks about how Jones may be the greatest athlete Seattle has ever seen. It started me thinking about how I would rank players that I have seen play for the teams I root for.

The thing about Walter Jones is it was hard for the average fan to really gauge his value as pointed out in the blog post.

Watching those Seahawks teams in the mid 2000's I always felt comfortable whenever they ran the ball to the left side. I knew that Alexander was going to get 5 yards. I also always felt comfortable that Matt would not have to worry about blind side rushers. When you really think about it that team never had top tier offensive skill players other than Alexander and that team had one of the best offenses in the NFL each year. Who knows if Alexander was as great as he appeared? I liked him, but never felt like he was on the same level as an LT even though he had similar numbers.

With all that said, here is my list of the greatest athletes I saw play for the teams I root for:

1. Ken Griffey Jr.
2. Shawn Kemp
3. Walter Jones
4. Edgar Martinez - (I can't think of anyone I loved watching hit more than Edgar)
5. Gary Payton
6. Adam Morrison - (I'm not sure if he belongs with these other guys, but he was incredible in college)

I'm curious what everyone else thinks

Mark Rypien won a Super Bowl.

bartruff1
05-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Elgin Baylor.... Alex Rodriguez.....Phil Mayer.....Kenny Easley....John Stockton ..... Steve Largent....Griffey Jr...Ichiro... Gene Connelly....to many to remember or list....

kitzbuel
05-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Mark Rypien won a Super Bowl.

For no other reason than I can, I say it has to be for a WA St team so Rypien doesn't count.

zag944
05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
1. Ken Griffey Jr.
2. Shawn Kemp
3. Walter Jones
5. Gary Payton

This, with Payton and Kemp alternated and Felix taking Morrison's place.

cjm720
05-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Good post.

Have to add Ryne Sandberg, Rypien, and Stockton too.

Eroop22
05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
My top five are:

1. Ken Griffey Jr
2. Walter Jones
3. Shawn Kemp
4. Gary Payton
5. Steve Largent

These lists are tough. Could of added at least 5 more guys to my top 5 list. Wanted to add Kenny Easley, Randy Johnson, Cortez Kennedy, Shaun Alexander, Fred Couples (golfers are athletes to).

Zag 77
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
If we are talking about athletes who were born and raised in Washington, it is hard to top the Spokane trio of John Stockton, Mark Rypien and Ryne Sandberg, all of who competed in the GSL at the same time in the 70's.

asoc
05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Define athlete

Are you measuring their athletic ability?

Or their ability in their chosen sport and position?
------------------

I would put Kasey Keller up there. He is a legend in US Soccer and performed well at the highest levels of his sport.

gu03alum
05-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Define athlete

Are you measuring their athletic ability?

Or their ability in their chosen sport and position?
------------------

I would put Kasey Keller up there. He is a legend in US Soccer and performed well at the highest levels of his sport.

yes

I don't really know what I am looking for and I figure it will be different for everyone. I think that's what is fun about it. There are no wrong answers.

asoc
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I will throw another option out there.

Osvaldo Alonso. Sounder, who is a Cuban defector. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osvaldo_Alonso#Defection_to_the_United_States

While he is still young, If he stays in Seattle for a bit longer I could see him up there in the conversation.

SWZag
05-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Only Seattleites? More to the state than Seattle! The subject says "Washington Sports" so here are a few others.

Drew Bledsoe - Ellensburg/Walla Walla
Greg Biffle - Camas (If golf counts, so does NASCAR)
Earl Averill - Snohomish (MLB Hall of Famer)
Corey Dillon -Federal Way
John Elway - Port Angeles (born)
Ray Flaherty - Spokane (NFL Hall of Famer)
Jon Kitna - Tacoma
Jason Schmidt - Kelso
Grady Sizemore - Everett

gu03alum
05-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Only Seattleites? More to the state than Seattle! The subject says "Washington Sports" so here are a few others.

Drew Bledsoe - Ellensburg/Walla Walla
Earl Averill - Snohomish (MLB Hall of Famer)
Corey Dillon -Federal Way
John Elway - Port Angeles (born)
Ray Flaherty - Spokane (NFL Hall of Famer)
Jon Kitna - Tacoma
Jason Schmidt - Kelso
Grady Sizemore - Everett

I had Amo on my list ;). Nice list.

Eroop22
05-31-2012, 07:17 AM
I guess we could add Kasey Khane - Enumlaw to the list as well.

Sugar Ray Seales 1972 boxing Olympic Gold Medalist 139 pounds. Was a product of Tacoma boys club. He probably could of been a great pro fighter as well. But he couldn't get passed Marvin Hagler no shame there.