PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rich Get Richer

NotoriousZ
05-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Guess who's getting a raise? It's our old friend coach Calipari! Story on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7890761/john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats-gets-83-percent-raise

What's the over/under on when he leaves unscathed after an assistant loses his job in a recruiting violation? I'll give it 2 more years.

bartruff1
05-05-2012, 06:39 AM
This is a match made in heaven. Cal and Kentucky are getting exactly what they want.. given the byzantine character of the NCAA rules and the scrutiny the program is under, the kids they recruit, the alumni...it is possible they will be found in violation of a rule. But the facts are that Calipari has never been found guilty or even accused of a wrongdoing. I will be amazed if he crosses a line. I bet they are spending a small fortune on compliance . The people at Kentucky are not stupid or reckless and will make every effort to protect their reputation. Don't hold your breath hoping for a sanction. I am not defending Calipari or the obsession to win in college sports, but just offering my opinion about what is likely to happen. If you have a different opinion, fine.

ZagFanInNC
05-05-2012, 07:36 PM
He deserves it,

He brings in the top recruits every year, manages their ego's and develops them into lottery picks and oh yeah, wins national championships.

Coach Crazy
05-05-2012, 07:37 PM
He deserves it,

He brings in the top recruits every year, manages their ego's and develops them into lottery picks and oh yeah, wins national championships.

Bags of cash will definitely do that for you...

ZagFanInNC
05-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Bags of cash will definitely do that for you...

I can't believe how many people hate on this guy.

5 top 5 picks in four years prior to the upcoming draft, he doesn't have to give them money because they know they will be making it if they go to his school.

bartruff1
05-06-2012, 04:29 AM
He deserves it,

Can you imagine what teams they would have if this was the good old days and players stayed for 4 years !! It might look like the UCLA of the Wooden days...

MDABE80
05-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Absolutely bart...Cals figured out that if he gets his kids into the NBA, NBA level kids will continue to fill his basket ie one or two and off to a life of riches and basketball. He understands what drives these fresh faces. Money and ball.

he's exploited that niche. It's not what we think of as "collegeiate approach" like even 10 years ago Honestly this nonsense about "they'll go back and get a dregree" is garbage.
It's one fo those things where it's ONLY about ball. Nothing more or less. Kids usually study for a degree and then grad school or a job of their interest. Well Cal's fpcused on the JOB being the NBA.

It's a perversion of what most kids focus on. Just business infecting collegiate sports.. He's been in trouble like this everywhere he's been. This is just the worst case. If all a university wants is ball and the money that comes with a title, I'd hire him too because that's all you get.

bartruff1
05-06-2012, 12:55 PM
The only question I have about his future is " when is he going to the Knicks or the Lakers ??? ". For some real money..

mdZag23
05-07-2012, 09:48 AM
we all know this....