PDA

View Full Version : Mathis Monninghoff - what will happen to his PT next BB season?

ZagsGoZags
05-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Our attempts to land a superb 3 have not materialized (yet). Perhaps he will feel a small a sigh of relief from the standpoint of his PT. I know he is a team player and wants the team to win, so I am not knocking him. I had wondered if he would go elsewhere to get more minutes, and so far, he is staying with us. I still hope he will learn to create his own shot, and still hope he will learn to slash and drive at least to pass off. On the floor I have not seen a lot of improvement in him from year to year (with the important exception that his defense has improved IMO) - I don't know if that is a coaching issue, or if he has reached his ceiling. I would love to see him operate at a whole step higher level this year. The addition of Karnage may push KO and EH into the 3 sometimes. Bol Kong and MM, who can drain 3's all day when not under pressure, and when not guarded closely, have been an enigma to me. With this great talent, isn't there some way coaches could add enough to their arsenal of other skills to get them producing for the team?

What are your predictions for his playing time in 2012-2013?

bigblahla
05-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Our attempts to land a superb 3 have not materialized (yet). Perhaps he will feel a small a sigh of relief from the standpoint of his PT. I know he is a team player and wants the team to win, so I am not knocking him. I had wondered if he would go elsewhere to get more minutes, and so far, he is staying with us. I still hope he will learn to create his own shot, and still hope he will learn to slash and drive at least to pass off. On the floor I have not seen a lot of improvement in him from year to year (with the important exception that his defense has improved IMO) - I don't know if that is a coaching issue, or if he has reached his ceiling. I would love to see him operate at a whole step higher level this year. The addition of Karnage may push KO and EH into the 3 sometimes. Bol Kong and MM, who can drain 3's all day when not under pressure, and when not guarded closely, have been an enigma to me. With this great talent, isn't there some way coaches could add enough to their arsenal of other skills to get them producing for the team?

What are your predictions for his playing time in 2012-2013?

I don't view Kong as an enigma. Had major fun with the drums but saw right away he was a skilled player who listened too much to his own rep while his skills eroded on asphalt courts against inferior competition waiting for something better. When he finally got his chance he had already began to believe his own hype and stardom so much that he never put in the effort physically or mentally to reach his potential. Kong is a prototype example of lost potential.

To me Hoff has progressed on both ends of the court but is limited in his role on this team and I would be surprised if he ever gets more than spot minutes. Unless he finds lightning in a bottle the only way I see it changing is if he decides to red shirt, maybe an extra year of working his tail off in front of Coach and staff might change their opinion of his value to the team.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-05-2012, 07:18 AM
He has a role with the team - tall shooters are always useful.

A few have suggested that he might pursue the option K.O. took to redshirt between his sophomore and junior years to get stronger and develop a more complete game. That might benefit him. As I see it, he's probably going to be sitting behind Guy Landry-Edi, Mike Hart, and Kyle Dranginis for playing time at the small forward spot and that is assuming that the coaches don't bring in another wing before next season. However, he is a better shooter than any of them, so he will get a chance to play whenever a shooter is needed more than a defender, passer, or rebounder. If he takes the coming year off, GLE and Hart will graduate and he may find more playing time waiting for him in another year.

Either way, he has a role, and he seems to have a good attitude about playing that role when he is needed.

zag67
05-05-2012, 08:15 AM
I do like his attitude and he has a very good 3 pt shot. His defense has really improved and has shown that he can handle the ball better. How many minutes that brings him is unknown to all of us.

But if you look at it from another way, he is practicing against some of the best players in the US. He has some super coaches that are improving his game. Therefore each year he is improving his game to be able to play more for us and is getting ready to play in the Euro league. He is also getting a great education.

Yes, he will probably be playing behind Edi and Hart, but if he keeps improving he will be taking minutes from them to show more of his game and the following year he could possibly be a major contributor.

Zig-Zag
05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Hoff has wonderful attitude, loves Gonzaga, deciding whether to stay in order to receive Degree that is very important to him and accept limited play time or return to Germany with possibility playing pro. He won't transfer to another US school or red shirt. Great individual!!

MDABE80
05-05-2012, 11:43 AM
He's got terrific potential...I don't know what's wrong. Unless he does whatever it is he must do, he'll be used for fill in duty for some quick 3 pt shooting. I'm pleased to hear he likes the school. There has got to be a place for a long tall shooter with some defensive skills. I'd give him more time. Edi, although a superior athlete didn't impress last year even when he had a few games under his belt. Hart, as always was solid.

MM still has a some good possibilites if anyone's (coaches) watching him anymore. I don't remember him having bad games but he did very well in some.

hooter73
05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I think he can still be the wing we need. He just has to buy in to the complete package.

zagfan1970
05-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Red shirt!!!

billyberu
05-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Red shirt my arse...you don't ask a kid to red shirt who is an ocean and another continent away.

Mathis is a good kid who is a role player on this team. IMO, it is a mistake to recruit role players who hail from half a globe away. Since we did anyway, let him suit up for as long as he has a role on this team and is willing to. Redshirt?

Please...

TheGonzagaFactor
05-05-2012, 02:36 PM
If he redshirted, he would be a candidate for some good backup minutes for two full years after Edi and Hart leave.

zag67
05-05-2012, 02:42 PM
And if he does not redshirt, he will have one year of solid minutes. So it is up to him and only he knows what is the most important to him. Go MM.

ZagFanInNC
05-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Red shirt my arse...you don't ask a kid to red shirt who is an ocean and another continent away.

Mathis is a good kid who is a role player on this team. IMO, it is a mistake to recruit role players who hail from half a globe away. Since we did anyway, let him suit up for as long as he has a role on this team and is willing to. Redshirt?

Please...

If a kid is third in line, fourth if Elias plays any minutes at the 3, at one spot then yes, you ask him to RS. If he RS's he will have an opportunity to get good minutes for the two season afterwards. What is the point in developing players if they only have one year of good minutes?