PDA

View Full Version : What happened to GU Baseball?

Zag 77
05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
What is the deal? They are in the middle of a 1-7 slide and in 7th place in the WCC. 3 games out of 1st, but only 9 games left. This team was in national polls early, and 2 weeks ago was 26-9 and sitting in 2nd place in the WCC only a game out. They did most of that without their best player, P/1b Marco Gonzales.

Why the big collapse?

hondo
05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Baseball is a strange game. A couple of key injuries and you lose some confidence and then you press harder and it's a down hill spiral. Last Saturday night even with a brilliant effort on the mound it took 12 innings to get just 1 run. There has been a ton of 1 run losses in this streak. That is just baseball--a very strange game.

Zag 77
05-03-2012, 09:39 PM
It just puzzles me that a team with some deep pitching, experienced players and decent hitters would all go south at the same time.

This is a team that by all rights should have had a decent chance to make the NCAAs even as an at large.

TerpZag
05-03-2012, 09:46 PM
What is the deal? They are in the middle of a 1-7 slide and in 7th place in the WCC. 3 games out of 1st, but only 9 games left. This team was in national polls early, and 2 weeks ago was 26-9 and sitting in 2nd place in the WCC only a game out. They did most of that without their best player, P/1b Marco Gonzales.

Why the big collapse?

Zag 77, that is a good question. Maybe someone who follows the Zags more closely can give us some insights.

Gonzaga has lost 7 out of their last 8 games. Their only win was a 1-0 extra inning game against LMU. And 6 out of the 7 losses have been by 1 run each.

I have noticed that the Zags have more often than not been leaving a large number of runners on base each game. In one game, a single Zag was credited with leaving 8 runners on base.

The clutch hitting for the Zags seems to have disappeared.

Hondo mentions injuries, a Gonzaga article notes that the Zags will be without the services of leadoff hitter and third baseman Eric Lane for the rest of the season after he suffered a broken jaw in a collision with the catcher while sliding into home at the USF on April 22. Lane had been the Bulldogs leadoff hitter and third baseman all season. He had a .313 batting average with 26 runs, six doubles, 15 RBI.

Zag 77, the pitching for Gonzaga seems to be holding up for the most part, I think it could just be the clutch hitting with runners in scoring position. What caused that I do not know.

Hopefully, the Zags can turn it around before the end of the season. The Zags certainly missed a golden opportunity to stay in the WCC race by losing 5 of 6 to USF and LMU.

hondo
05-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I still believe that the Zags are a good baseball team--just in a mental funk right now.