PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 Minutes forecast

FroZAG
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Early in the season there will be plenty of experimentation with different lineups as there always is. But when it's all said and done, IMHO I think the end of season stat sheet regarding minutes played will look something like this. I will be interested to hear what you think....

PG) KP-28 DS-9 CS-3

SG) GB-30 KD-6 KP-4

SF) GLE-17 EH-10 KD-8 MH-5

PF) EH-20 SD-10 KO-10

C) PK-20 KO-10 SD-10

KP's minutes at the SG are to account for Coach playing Stocks and KP together.

GBJ deserves more than 30 but with 10 mins rest will be able to continue superior effort on D and still catch his breath...much like last season.

Harris has the ability to play at the SF as long as he doesn't have to dribble often. I would hope he welcome's the opportunity as it will only help his pro stock.

Kelly I have a feeling will blow expectations out of the water. A whole year to go up against Rob every day, a whole year to work with Donny D who turned Sacre into a force. Now the chance to go up against Karno every day for a couple years..... When it's all said and done at GU for Kelly he could be one of the more seasoned, versatile big men as a fifth year senior that I would be able to remember anywhere.

If Hoff can get on a hot streak early in the year he will earn spot minutes but tough to project that hearing how good KD apparently looks...

Is it possible that GU could be "guard U" and "big-man U" in the same season? It certainly looks that way for the next couple years. The future is VERY bright. Props to the staff!

I carried on a bit here but will b interested to hear your take on the minutes....

Zag@LMU
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
GLE will not have 17, dranginis will have more than 8

cjm720
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Not too far off and good write-up IMO. Bell and Pangos likely will get a few more minutes and I dont think Sarbaugh will get much as a frosh.

FroZAG
05-03-2012, 01:04 PM
GLE will not have 17, dranginis will have more than 8

I have Drang's for 14....not 8

ZagaZags
05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Early in the season there will be plenty of experimentation with different lineups as there always is. But when it's all said and done, IMHO I think the end of season stat sheet regarding minutes played will look something like this. I will be interested to hear what you think....

PG) KP-28 DS-9 CS-3

SG) GB-30 KD-6 KP-4

SF) GLE-17 EH-10 KD-8 MH-5

PF) EH-20 SD-10 KO-10

C) PK-20 KO-10 SD-10

KP's minutes at the SG are to account for Coach playing Stocks and KP together.

GBJ deserves more than 30 but with 10 mins rest will be able to continue superior effort on D and still catch his breath...much like last season.

Harris has the ability to play at the SF as long as he doesn't have to dribble often. I would hope he welcome's the opportunity as it will only help his pro stock.

Kelly I have a feeling will blow expectations out of the water. A whole year to go up against Rob every day, a whole year to work with Donny D who turned Sacre into a force. Now the chance to go up against Karno every day for a couple years..... When it's all said and done at GU for Kelly he could be one of the more seasoned, versatile big men as a fifth year senior that I would be able to remember anywhere.

If Hoff can get on a hot streak early in the year he will earn spot minutes but tough to project that hearing how good KD apparently looks...

Is it possible that GU could be "guard U" and "big-man U" in the same season? It certainly looks that way for the next couple years. The future is VERY bright. Props to the staff!

I carried on a bit here but will b interested to hear your take on the minutes....

That looks pretty damn good. Nice job.

Mr Vulture
05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Elias Harris - 30 mpg
Sam Dower - 20 mpg
Kelly Olynyk - 20 mpg
Przemek Karnowski - 20 mpg
Guy Landry - 20 mpg
Kevin Pangos - 35 mpg
Gary Bell - 30 mpg
Kyle Draginis - 15 mpg
David Stockton - 10 mpg

I do think that Hart will play some minutes depending on how the game is played and foul trouble. I don't see Sarbaugh playing much at all this year but do think he could be a contributor down the road. Don't see Monninghoff playing much at all either.

Mr Vulture
05-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I believe they will be rotating the bigs to keep them fresh and to hopefully keep them out of foul trouble. The big three, Pangos/Bell/Harris should play significantly more than the rest.

FroZAG
05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
That looks pretty damn good. Nice job.

Thanks ZagaZags.

Nevada Don
05-03-2012, 03:46 PM
As an aside, awhile back I compared Bell's numbers with Pangos. IMHO, Bell should be taking a lot more 3's than he did last year compared to Pangos. If I remember correctly, Bell's 3 point stats dwarf KP's.

Zag 77
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Is that a typo? I thought posters here had basically said he had booked his ticket to go elsewhere.

FroZAG
05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
As an aside, awhile back I compared Bell's numbers with Pangos. IMHO, Bell should be taking a lot more 3's than he did last year compared to Pangos. If I remember correctly, Bell's 3 point stats dwarf KP's.

Bell, yes was spectacular in leading all NCAA freshman in 3pt % at nearly 48% making 51 on the season.

Pangos shot 40% from distance making good on 79 three's for the year. If I could get 40% for the next three years guaranteed in writing I would take it in a heartbeat. Kevin's 40% would have been Gary's 48% had he not had about 4 games or so cold from 3. 0-5 twice, 0-6, and 1-10.

I would love to see those two trade 3point statistics next year with GBJ becoming more aggressive offensively with penetration and imposing his will a bit more in 2pt land. Kevin shot the ball 38% more times than GBJ throughout the season....IMHO I would expect that will even out next year.

coolhandzag
05-03-2012, 04:49 PM
My prediction is that most of the games will consist of two halfs, each being twenty minutes long.

FroZAG
05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Is that a typo? I thought posters here had basically said he had booked his ticket to go elsewhere.

Not a typo. But I did say *IF and *SPOT MINUTES. Not sure if this equals a Big projection to you but it was not intended that way. I'm just saying that every coach wants to have an additional knock down shooter at his disposal and if Hoff could make some key shots early in the season might gain Coach's confidence and possibly be used in a late game situation or two.

MDABE80
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Best 8 guys get the minutes. Simple huh?;)

ZagFanInNC
05-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Starting 5:

C-KO
PF-Dower
SF-Elias
SG-Bell
PG- Pangos

There is something to be said about having your 5 best players on the floor, if Karn turns out to be a top 5 insert him.

This is how I see the minutes:

C/PF 80 Available-

15 Elias
25 Kelly
20 Sam
20 Karn

SF 40 Available-

15 Elias
10 Edi
8 Dranginis
7 Hart

SG 40 Available-

30 Bell
5 Edi
5 Dranginis

PG 40 Available-

30 Pangos
7 Stockton
3 Dranginis

Wow, this ended up being kind of confusing. Good thing i'm not a coach!!!

I guess the most important thing to me is that Bell, Pangos and Harris all play 30 minutes atleast. Also Harris needs to take some of his minutes at the 3 to make sure our talented front court also gets pt.

Oh yeah, MM needs to RS next year! Things will really open up when Edi and Hart leave.

OZZY
05-03-2012, 11:18 PM

Tired of hearing about Bells' vs Pangos's 3 point numbers. Bell had the luxury of generally having more time to take the shot as Pangos had the attention of the oppositions best on-ball defender after his explosion vs WSU. Having the ball in his hands also meant that he had to take shots when there where no other options with the clock winding down. If Bell had been the ball carrier, we could very well have seen the opposite numbers.

With a year under his belt, Draino on the floor and numerous other 3 point threats also available, I wouldn't be surprised if his attempts go down a bit and his assist numbers go up.

My crystal ball (overall numbers, obviously KP/GBJ and EH might get more in critical games).

KP 32 mpg ( a bit less floortime with DS and KD spelling him off)
GBJ 30 mpg
DS 8mpg

KD 18 mpg

GLE 15 mpg
MH 10 mpg

EH 32 mpg
KO 20 mpg
SD 20 mpg
PK 15 mpg (fixed ZGZ)

:)

ZagsGoZags
05-04-2012, 12:23 AM
too many people referring to Karnowski as KP
first Karnowski is his last name, it isn't even correct
second KP is already taken Kevin Pangos

I'm all for efficiency
but I have also first thought Edi when seeing E

I read this board every day, and if it is irritating for me to see unclear references to player, I can just imagine visitors having to look up the roster (where they would still never divine that KP is Karnowski) just to understand the inconsiderate and illogical acronyms thrown around

GrizZAG
05-04-2012, 01:05 AM

I'm all for efficiency

I read this board every day, and if it is irritating for me to see unclear references to player, I can just imagine visitors having to look up the roster (where they would still never divine that KP is Karnowski) just to understand the inconsiderate and illogical acronyms thrown around

EH? I say PK and roll and put a KO on em so they get stuck in an EDI goin down the river man. Then GB those who DS us like a KD and put em in GlE club dude. Give em KP duty till they learn how to pronounce GBJ better or take away their MM’s. Or have a HART and make em all SD “Smoothies”.

Must be very late...sorry

FroZAG
05-04-2012, 01:08 AM

I'm all for efficiency

Lighten up.

Nowhere was just E used. U imagined that. All posters have used GLE or Edi.

FroZAG
05-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Tired of hearing about Bells' vs Pangos's 3 point numbers. Bell had the luxury of generally having more time to take the shot as Pangos had the attention of the oppositions best on-ball defender after his explosion vs WSU. Having the ball in his hands also meant that he had to take shots when there where no other options with the clock winding down. If Bell had been the ball carrier, we could very well have seen the opposite numbers.

With a year under his belt, Draino on the floor and numerous other 3 point threats also available, I wouldn't be surprised if his attempts go down a bit and his assist numbers go up.

My crystal ball (overall numbers, obviously KP/GBJ and EH might get more in critical games).

KP 32 mpg ( a bit less floortime with DS and KD spelling him off)
GBJ 30 mpg
DS 8mpg

KD 18 mpg

GLE 15 mpg
MH 10 mpg

EH 32 mpg
KO 20 mpg
SD 20 mpg
KP 15 mpg

:)

Nice

cjm720
05-04-2012, 06:24 AM

I think the point is that Pangos chucked the ball up A LOT and Bell's shooting percentage is higher, so the natural suggestion is for Bell to shoot more and Pangos less. The attention Pangos got waned a bit during the year and the fact that he did have the ball in his hands meant, IMO, he should have run the offense and looked for the pass a bit more. Another one of the many reasons we'll see an improvement in Pangos game (sorry Mick lol).

ZagMania
05-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Certainly feels like there shouldn't be anyone complaining about not getting an opportunity for minutes next year.

Now nobody get hurt...

titopoet
05-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I usually find these minutes talk both fun and useless. Rotations are flexible and dependent on so many factors (foul trouble, match ups, injuries, performance) The truth is that early on all the players will have a chance to earn more or lose minutes. How players mesh and play with each other. The current team provides Few with flexibility to matchup with different teams. Add to this that most of the players have played with each other and know each other tendencies, gives Few a great many buttons to push.

I highly doubt that Few allocates minutes in a mechanical way that we are having fun. Last years saw wildly fluctuating minutes as the year went on.

But lets play the game. Instead of looking at positions 1,2,3,4,5, and the total minutes, let us start by looking at GU lost and what GU is gaining. Lost Sacre, Cater, Spangler and Keita together got around 50 mins of the 200 of about a quarter of the minutes in a game. So, if the players hold the same minutes that they had last year, though that can be a big if, Hart and Edi may see some adjustments to playing time, that means KO, KD and Karno have between 50 to 55 minutes to share. That is still a lot of minutes Karno 20/25 Karno 20/25 and KD 5/10. Starting from last year make more sense because that factors real world effects and players then starting by plugging in the entering players. Though, I know this just for fun as that is not how minutes come and go during the season.

Gonswagga
05-04-2012, 08:27 AM
G Kevin Pangos (32 mpg)
G Gary Bell (32 mpg)
G Kyle Dranginis (20 mpg)
G David Stockton (2 mpg)
F Elias Harris (30 mpg)
F Guy Landry Edi (20 mpg)
F Mike Hart (4 mpg)
C Sam Dower (20 mpg)
C Prezmek Karnowski (20 mpg)
C Kelly Olynyk (20 mpg)

To unclog that system Elias needs to play the 3 at times. Also David's minute is not an indictment on his play, but the consequences of having three great ball-handling guards and the need the coaching staff will have to find a way to get Kyle into games.

Everybody is speaking highly of Kelly as a redshirt junior but I haven't seen anything his first two years to validate him earning more minutes than any of the big men and a newspaper clipping about his redshirt year won't change that, only time will.

DADoZAG
05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
G Kevin Pangos (32 mpg)
G Gary Bell (32 mpg)
G David Stockton (2 mpg)
F Elias Harris (30 mpg)
F Mike Hart (4 mpg)
C Sam Dower (20 mpg)
C Kelly Olynyk (20 mpg)

To unclog that system Elias needs to play the 3 at times. Also David's minute is not an indictment on his play, but the consequences of having three great ball-handling guards and the need the coaching staff will have to find a way to get Kyle into games.

Everybody is speaking highly of Kelly as a redshirt junior but I haven't seen anything his first two years to validate him earning more minutes than any of the big men and a newspaper clipping about his redshirt year won't change that, only time will.

This is actually pretty good, IMO, by the end of the year, with Mike Hart maybe getting a few less. That means, by the tourneys, an eight man rotation with the bigs all getting enough blows to run, run, run on both ends of the floor.

All this is dependent on NOT bringing in another impact player. Does that possibility still exist?

Go ZAGS!

hooter73
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Something to consider about Pangos and Bells minutes too is that they didnt really have a back up that was playing all that great. Carter was, well not playing all that great and Stockton (i thought) played worse than he did his freshman year. So adding KD (and CS) in the mix might change things or at least it could have been different if there were other guards playing well last year other than the main two.

OZZY
05-04-2012, 03:50 PM
G Kevin Pangos (32 mpg)
G Gary Bell (32 mpg)
G David Stockton (2 mpg)
F Elias Harris (30 mpg)
F Mike Hart (4 mpg)
C Sam Dower (20 mpg)
C Kelly Olynyk (20 mpg)

You obviously are not aware of he last competitive basketball Kelly played.

He played very well against a bunch of Argentinians........