View Full Version : An Open Request to Jerry Krause

SLOZag
05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
How about a series of games with ...

Kentucky?

or ...

Indiana?

Both teams appear to be coming into some holes in their respective schedules:

"Barring a change of heart between now and this summer, Indiana officials said Thursday that they will not renew the contract to play Kentucky because of a disagreement over where to hold the games. The schools have met during the regular season every year since 1969, with all but one of those games played in December. After months of behind-the-scenes bickering over whether to play the games on campus, as Indiana prefers, or at neutral sites, as Kentucky prefers ... ."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indiana-kentucky-series-coming-end-181404185--ncaab.html

:pray:

MDABE80
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Sound familiar? All this fuss about nothing. Just nothing. Oh Romar.......are you reading???

SLOZag
05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
"My favorite story about John Calipari refusing to play a high-profile non-league game on an opposing team's campus comes from his days at Memphis. He was trying to schedule a series with Gonzaga so that the two elite non-BCS programs would have one more attractive game to place on ESPN because television has been and will always be Calipari's main concern. So he and Mark Few were going back and forth, and I just remember Few laughing about it.

Calipari wanted Gonzaga to play at FedExForum every other year, but he refused to take his Tigers to the Zags' homecourt -- the McCarthey Athletic Center. He just wasn't gonna do it, and his argument was hilarious. Basically, Calipari's position was that because he wasn't asking Gonzaga to play on Memphis' campus then Few shouldn't ask Memphis to play on Gonzaga's campus.

FedExForum is in downtown Memphis. The Spokane Arena is downtown Spokane. To be fair, Calipari said, the games should be played at those two places.

But here's what made Calipari's position comical -- Memphis does not have an on-campus arena; FedExForum is the Tigers' home arena. But Calipari kept calling it a "downtown" arena and kept insisting the only fair way to do the series was to play all games at downtown arenas, and he never budged. Finally, Few just buckled and said OK. So Memphis got a four-game series with two games against Gonzaga in Memphis' home arena without ever having to play the Zags in their home arena on their campus.

Bottom line, Calipari won. Because Calipari always wins.

"I just got tired of arguing about it," I remember Few telling me with a laugh. "Cal's the best." "

That according to Michael Marot in an AP release:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indiana-kentucky-series-coming-end-181404185--ncaab.html

So, Jerry, be prepared to be flexible with Cal -- it will still be worth it.

;)

bartruff1
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Kentucky...might....play in the BIS, for a train load of TV money... Cal at Kentucky doesn't have the same limited options as Cal at Memphis... if the projections for Indiana are correct, they will be a very hot property for the next few years. I doubt they would consider a game in the Northwest. Last year was a dream come true for many of us.

Zagdawg
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I would consider the Spokane Arena and the "downtown arena" that Kentucky plays at.

VaBeachZAG
05-03-2012, 04:08 PM
It was noted in another thred that Kansas' Self is reportedly desperate for a quality home and home series for 12/13 and 13/14. I asked in that thred, and will ask again, why don't the Zags call out Self for the home and home series he apparently so desperately wants? Kentucky and Indiana games would be great, but so would a true home and home with Kansas. Some might think Self would never agree to this, but you never know for sure unless you ask!