PDA

View Full Version : Open schollies

jpwils
05-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Could someone more in the know please indicate how many open schollies exist for this upcoming year-2012-13?

Also how many for next year open still??

I count two scholarships open still for next year after one could be potentially given to Hart. So far, I'm counting an additional 3 scholarships after 2012-13 season is completed ( Harris, Hart-assuming he gets one- and Edi)

Also who has been confirmed as signing with the Zags for 2013-14 already?

Thanks in advance! Great job Coaching staff in signing Karnowski!!

P.S. We could also discuss any International possibilities to take Elias Harris's place or any others after graduation....here's hoping for an All-american season for EH this year!!

jpwils
05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry-forgot about Luke Meikle-6-8 signee for following year( 2013-2014 I think).

So that leaves two schollies this year and two for next year at minimum.
Not that we have minutes this year at all to give-just looking at open scholarships versus limit.

For awhile we had a nice spreadsheet depicting these things...

Please correct me if I am wrong.

BroncoZAG615
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/pages/updated-scholarship-chart

This is what we have. I don't know how Hart and Stockton are handled from year to year so they aren't reflected in this. I guess this could be called the "True" Scholarship Chart.

Mr Vulture
05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
The chart the SSP is showing is exactly what I see as well. I would anticipate that they use a scholarship this year on Hart and one on David if they don't have a full group, which I don't think they will have. I believe Sarbaugh is on a special program due to his father so he doesn't ever need to be on scholarship.

Unless they get another commit for the coming year, I think we will have a minimum of four open scholarships next year. That would be the one left open from this year, the one I think they will use on Hart, and the two being used for Harris/Landry. They have Miekle coming in which will use one but they will still have the Stockton scholarship available if they needed it and chose to use it.

jpwils
05-03-2012, 11:23 AM
If one looks at our " recruiting class" as :

1. Karnowski-equivalent to Adams of Pitt( number 5 recruit listed on ESPN)

2. Dranginis-redshirt freshman, former Idaho player of yr and 6-5 guard/forward who can pass and shoot

3. Kelly Olynyk- redshirt junior with 3 years IN our system already and can play 3 positions as a 7 footer-BETTER than almost any transfers we could get

4. Sarbaugh - guard coming off redshirt season who performed well at high school level with four seasons ahead of him

We have BY FAR the best class in the WCC coming in this year, and one of the top 5 classes in the country!!!!

And don't forget the " jump" many expect between freshman and sophomore
years for Pangos and Bell...add to this any expected improvements in GLE's production, and you have , in my opinion, the makings of an Elite Eight Team!!

ZagFanInNC
05-03-2012, 11:36 AM
If two of the open 4 scholsrships go to Hart and Stockton, like they should, I wonder if the staff will try to find a few senior's to bring in on a one year flyer. It would help in practice to have the extra bodies at least.

I guess Sarbaugh could get one of the open ones as well.

jpwils
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Wondering if this would make sense as well- bring in couple guys just to scrimmage .

Thoughts out there??

madness
05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Sarbaugh already has a full ride to GU and doesn't need an athletic Schollie. FYI

BroncoZAG615
05-03-2012, 11:58 AM
It would surprise me if the staff was done trying to fill 2012 spots. I'd wager this class is far from being closed.

As for Stockton and Hart, they should get schollies if there are extras in a year but the fact that they are here should not deter the staff from going out and trying to recruit true scholarship athletes.

Mr Vulture
05-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I agree with Broncozag...I doubt they are done with this class. I would hate to see them bring in someone that won't ever be a contributor but I could see them finding some role players or guys with potential that they can develop. I think the minutes for next season are pretty well covered with possibly some minutes at the wing position still available.

I know Sarbaugh doesn't use up a scholarship but I almost positive that Hart has already been promised a scholarship.

zaguarxj
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Wait, you mean Monninghoff is staying? Why did I think he was transferring?

GoGU
05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Because at some point or another, we panicked about everybody. Pretty sure I saw a "Pangos Transferring" thread. I almost had a heart attack, but then I realized it was in the Foo.

jpwils
05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Wondering if Hoff would actually improve his chances to play pro overseas by redshirting and expanding his game some? Not saying he should or would just wondering out loud if this would even be appealing to him? Seems like more minutes would be available to him the following two years and he could possibly get another degree??

If this has been discussed ad nauseum please feel free to delete.

Seems like minutes next year could be VERY limited with Dranginis, GLE, Hart, and possibly Harris or even KO playing some there to fit in PK's minutes.