PDA

View Full Version : predict the karnage...

WallaWallaZag
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
0. takes zags to promised land as freshman...18 & 10

1. starter the moment he steps onto campus - instant impact ala harris...14 & 8

2. starting center a few weeks in after getting feet wet...12 & 7

3. starting center by start of wcc conference play...10 & 6

4. solid backup freshman year getting about 20 minutes per...8 & 5

5. takes longer to adjust than expected, about 12-15 per...6 & 4

6. basically spangler's freshman year, about 6-8 per...4 & 3

7. takes over keita's spot on bench, about 3-5 per...3 & 2

8. not ready...redshirt (in other words, overhyped and a bust)

madness
05-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm going with #2, same path as Gary Bell last season and just as important of an impact in big games.

SWZag
05-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Forgot one... :)

9. I'm going to wait until he plays in a collegiate game to make judgements

SWZag

Timspo14
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't think redshirting is synonymous with being overhyped; definitely not with being a bust.

That being said, going with 3.

2wiceright
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm hoping for 2, with numbers inching up towards 1 and 0 come March...It's OK to dream isn't it? :D

Mantua
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm sure that Mark Few told him he could start early in the season and also that he'd have to earn it. If the footwork is truly there and the defense is decent, my guess is 2.

ZagsGoZags
05-03-2012, 12:33 AM
if forced to bet,
I'd go with #2

CanadianZagFan
05-03-2012, 03:46 AM
I am going with 4. I think he gets significant minutes, but gets them off the bench.

bartruff1
05-03-2012, 04:58 AM
[QUOTE=Timspo14;792395]I don't think redshirting is synonymous with being overhyped; definitely not with being a bust.

I agee, given his age, and the current roster, I think there will be serious consideration for a red shirt...

WallaWallaZag
05-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Forgot one... :)

9. I'm going to wait until he plays in a collegiate game to make judgements

SWZag

that's why thread title is "predict" the karnage... =).

WallaWallaZag
05-03-2012, 05:05 AM
[QUOTE=Timspo14;792395]I don't think redshirting is synonymous with being overhyped; definitely not with being a bust.

I agee, given his age, and the current roster, I think there will be serious consideration for a red shirt...

disagree...under the circumstances of his arrival and the obvious need for a 4th big with spangler's departure, a redshirt in this case would be a serious let down for me and i'm guessing the majority of this board and even mark few & staff.

bartruff1
05-03-2012, 05:47 AM
I have great confidence that Few will make the right decision for both the team and PK, not only for this season, but looking ahead. I don't think Mark gives any consideration to what the board thinks.

WallaWallaZag
05-03-2012, 06:33 AM
oh, i'm pretty certain mark few doesn't give any consideration to this board and will do what he thinks is best for both the team and pk, but i also don't think he flew all the way to poland to bring in a redshirt candidate either.

trying to keep expectations reasonable so going with #3 but really hoping for something between #1 and #2...say 13pts. & 7rbs. which would mean about a sacre-level replacement but maybe more efficient offensively while not as good defensively.

stevet75
05-03-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm going with #4, and would be quite pleased with that.

jpwils
05-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Pure guess but between 2 and 3 and improving steadily throughtout OOC and WCC season-definite starter by 12/15.

That said I am also praying this does not occur bcuz of any injuries.

Much depends on KO's improvement.

raise the zag
05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
I am going with 4. I think he gets significant minutes, but gets them off the bench.

I'm going with #4, and would be quite pleased with that.

+1

NotoriousZ
05-03-2012, 07:01 AM
I'll go with a 1.3, 14 & 6. His scoring and passing abilities is why we're so jacked to have him on board. Maybe he works more on rebounding, but if he can pull in the same number as Big Rob, we should be fine. Harris rebounded like a BEAST at the end of the season and I'm looking forward to more of that.

webspinnre
05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I was thinking about this last night, and actually thought that I was hoping for 12 and 7, so #2 it is.

SteelZag
05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
If I have to choose I will go with #4. My question is with all the hype about his passing ability does anyone know his assist stats?

LongIslandZagFan
05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Somewhere between 3 and 4.

JPtheBeasta
05-03-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm hoping for 2, with numbers inching up towards 1 and 0 come March...It's OK to dream isn't it? :D

I went number 2 this morning

BULLDOG#1
05-03-2012, 08:21 AM
If Karno scores 12-14, then the zags will be putting up huge numbers.

Harris and Pangos both averaged 13 per last year. It's unlikely those will go down. Even if Pangos' average dipped to 10 per, I think Harris will average 15 or better in his senior year.

Bell is going to make a jump in scoring average for certain. He demonstrated this at the end of the year. If Pangos' assists are up, Bell might average more points per than him. 12-14 ppg is conservative for Bell.

With minutes, Dower is a double digit scorer all day long.

KO?
Drang?
GLE?

Those three will put up some numbers, too.

I just can't see Karno averaging 12-14 points unless he really becomes a focus on offense.

I'd love to see 10 points, 8 boards, a couple of assists and a block a game from Karno.

U Zig, I Zag
05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Few is an upperclassmen guy (unless we need a dramatic change and have the guns, aka GBJ and KP last year). I see Karnage coming off the bench and working for his minutes against KO and Dower.

That said, the only setup in stone (IMHO) is KP, GBJ and E. Those three would have to have some pretty ####ty practices to NOT start and have the most minutes at their spots.

Even with questions at the 3, this team is looking might ferocious. KO with in inside outside game - potentially the most flexible of all the bigs. Sam with his mid/short game and hopefully improve defense. The new kid, Karno, with hopefully an even leaner body and and old school back to the basket type mentality. He looks to have the soft hands and quick feet that we always wanted with Rob - and hopefully the ability to put it down without having to spin up so much. It is imperative that this team have a power finisher at the rim - one of the 7-footers should be able to do this.

75Zag
05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Does anybody have a link to biographical information about the Big Pole? Or a link to his stats as a player in Europe?

Thanks

FlyZag
05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Somewhere between a 4-5.

He will be a Freshman, learning a new country, a new school, new teammates, new coaches, new playbook, English as the primary language, etc. etc. It will take some time to adjust. Dower and KO will both be in their 4th year in the program, it would take a special player to unseat either of them. Being realistic, I think the "Carnivore" comes in, works hard and steadily improves his body, footwork and knowledge of the game and by the WCC tourney we see him playing more and more minutes. But in NO way does he come in and dominate from day 1.

Remember when Elias came on board there wasn't a 4 year player he was unseating... let a lone two.

raise the zag
05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
I think the "Carnivore" comes in, works hard and steadily improves his body, footwork and knowledge of the game and by the WCC tourney we see him playing more and more minutes.

Hopefully, he's more Karnivorous than a Karnation in the post.

yet another nickname idea:

"Karnosaurus Rex"

ZagsGoZags
05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Flyzag makes a good point
newplaybook, all in English
it will take time for Karnage, and really anybody, to learn our system to the point where it is somewhat habitual and second nature

I switch my prediction from 2 to 3. Sam and Kelly are ready to go.

maynard g krebs
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
The returning players combined for 56 points a game last year, 58 if Monninghoff stays. None are likely to score less; Bell's 10.4, Dower's 8.3 and Edi's 5.5 could all improve. KO and KD will both score some points too.

Assuming the team averages around 75 (80 would be nice, but scoring is down across the board and only a few teams did it last year), with the depth of the front line, 8-10 with about 5 boards would be a very good first year contribution. More than that, and this team is likely to go far.