PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski - How good!!

jscrk
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
So how good is Karnowski. Is he as good as Sacre.

CDC84
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Different players. Rob better on defense, Karno better on offense.

Zag@LMU
05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Until he plays one minute of college basketball I don't even think it would be fair to speculate

Robzagnut
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Karnowski > Sasquatch

Karnowski > Godzilla

Karnowski > Biggs McGee

DCZag
05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Let's all take a deep breath, be happy he is coming, and then let him get here before we start heaping expectations and comparisons on him....from the video he looks like the real deal, but time will tell.

Section 116
05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla called Karnowski a "huge get" for the Zags and compared him with Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/gonzaga-lands-poland-przemek-karnowski-7-foot-mcdonald-223142615.html

A to Zags
05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Until he plays one minute of college basketball I don't even think it would be fair to speculate

Exactly. Expectations are high but let's be supportive of him as a new member of the family and give him space and time to adapt. Interestingly, he is listed as 7 feet but also as 215cm which by my calculations is 7 :):):):)feet 2 inches....perhaps with shoes on? He also shot 56% from the free throw line last year so, if true, there is work to be done. Welcome to GU, Przemek, so very happy you're one of us.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Very fair assessment. Just as we shouldn't put down players because they were under the radar, we also shouldn't overhype players just because they had a more robust recruiting process.

SLOZag
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Just as we shouldn't put down players because they were under the radar, we also shouldn't overhype players just because they had a more robust recruiting process.

Truth!

Idahomie
05-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I can tell this from his short video clips: He is a 7 footer who doesn't bring the ball down and let it get stolen by guys half his size, and he can pass out of a double team. That makes me VERY happy.

That being said, let's wait until he plays college hoops before we make the "who's better" call.

CDC84
05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
I can tell this from his short video clips: He is a 7 footer who doesn't bring the ball down and let it get stolen by guys half his size, and he can pass out of a double team. That makes me VERY happy.

That would be one area where he is definitely better than Rob.

From Meehan's recent article:

I want to help the team with my low-post game and also I really like to pass from the post to the weak side for the 3-pointer, Karnowski wrote in an email. I want to work on improving my body, thats my main goal for next year. I also want to work on my right hand and my defense.

The kid knows he is far from a finished product. He has weaknesses, and he seems committed to improving them.

At the very least Gonzaga isn't going to feel as much pain from losing Rob as they would have if Karno had picked Cal.

snebzag
05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
A very good question. I like it. Just asking those here who have more insight or time to research what is coming.
I am very excited. I like bigs who are meant to play the position. Sam and KO are not dedicated to the five. This guy is. Excited is an understatement.
He won't carry the team the next four years, He will be a major part of the team the next four years.

webspinnre
05-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I really think that there's a good possibility that Karno has a greater impact than JP Batista, which is saying something, since JP is one of my favorite Zag big men of all time, and often overlooked in that discussion.

Baseline
05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
With this addition we will handle BYU and SMC quite nicely. Kelly, Korno, Dower and Harris is a very good front line. Sag or Zone and the Zags will kill them from the outside. We have depth to outwork other teams.

Go Zags!

TheGonzagaFactor
05-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Karnowski, Olynyk, Dower, and Harris...

that's one solid front line. and they are from 4 different countries.

Voice4Vision
05-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I can already imagine headlines...

"With Pangos the Karnage as the Bell tolls a KO"

Although I believe that Karno adds alot to this Zags team, I think what needs to be considered more than his individual abilities, is his willingness to trust and rely on his team mates. This is not about individual effort.

With the depth and experience of the Zag players, the addition of Karno, and finally KO ready, I honestly believe a new level of domination will begin. However I do anticipate the growing pains.

Voice4Vision

Mantua
05-02-2012, 11:44 PM
We've never had a team like this one with four good bigs and such a variety of good guards. I think that the addition of K will give this team a lot of confidence and enthusiasm. They really have something to sink their teeth into next season.

SweetOnionZag
05-03-2012, 05:35 AM

That being said, let's wait until he plays college hoops before we make the "who's better" call.

That's the first thing I noticed also.

Zagcity
05-03-2012, 05:57 AM
So how good is Karnowski. Is he as good as Sacre.

That was then and this is now ;)

229SintoZag
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
of what I don't know about Karnowski, but would like to know:

1. How well can he run the floor? Can he run as well as Sacre? Better than Sacre?

2. How many minutes can he play before he is totally gassed and needs to sit for a breath?

3. Can he jump?

4. How well can he protect the rim against crafty, quick guards trying to penetrate?

If anyone knows the answers, please share. I got scant feedback on these topics watching just the highlight videos.

77Zag
05-03-2012, 09:46 AM
How do you pronounce his first name?
Sorry if this has been hashed out before

Go Zags --

ZAGGED OUT
05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
of what I don't know about Karnowski, but would like to know:

1. How well can he run the floor? Can he run as well as Sacre? Better than Sacre?

2. How many minutes can he play before he is totally gassed and needs to sit for a breath?

3. Can he jump?

4. How well can he protect the rim against crafty, quick guards trying to penetrate?

If anyone knows the answers, please share. I got scant feedback on these topics watching just the highlight videos.

Again, as people have said, it's not fair to make any assesments until we see him. They're obviously different players who focus on different aspects. Rob knew he wasn't an offensive force to start, so he used his defense to get minutes. Karno obviously knows his offense and passing are huge parts of his game. I think it's safe to say he'd surprise a lot of us if he also turned out to be an elite defender. In my mind, this years team will rely on a lot of help defense down low. With that much size we may not need to lock someone down at the top of the key. With two 7 footers down low (or close to), if they can work well together on defense the quickness and craftiness of a lot of guards can be negated. One big directs the slasher towards another 7 footer and you have just created some problems. But for now we can just enjoy the anticipation

75Zag
05-03-2012, 09:57 AM
I am looking forward to seeing the new slimmed down faster quicker version of the Big Pole. I saw him in the Nike Portland International event last year and to be honest he played very few minutes and nobody (including me) payed any attention to him as a player, either in the audience or in the Oregonian reporting afterwards. Pangos was on the same international team at the Nike Portland event, so I assume that connection may have helped in recruiting.

There were probably 300 college coaches and scouts at the Nike event last year, and it is interesting to me that of all those NCAA coaches and scouts, only GU has been on the Big Pole for an extended period of time. Is he the Polish version of Bill Walton who has been overlooked due to his country of origin? Or is he a more polished version of Will Foster, with good heart and good potential but uncertain future results ahead? Or is he something else?

I have no idea but I really hope the regulars here don't bury him in hype before he plays in his first NCAA game. Remeber that Bol Kong was the second coming of Jesus. I doubt that it will be helpful to make the Big Pole the second coming of Bol Kong.

pbriz
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
From everything I have read and the videos I have seen he reminds me of a poor man's Kevin Love.

Zagdawg
05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Or maybe even like Shaq Jr. ........or maybe that is just the free throws. :)